Multiple Licenses for a business

caitlingm
caitlingm
Community Member

Up until this point, our business has been using the same 1password license for all our passwords. We have a total of 5 people/departments accessing the passwords on this license, and we need to upgrade to individual licenses. I bought the family plan, not realizing that there was a business license option, so I sent an email to refund the family license, and plan to buy 4 additional business licenses. We want one main license to have access to all the other licenses and their passwords. We plan to do this using the 1password vaults.

1. How do we transition the computers to their new licenses? We currently use dropbox to sync, and in my experience, 1password will automatically use a computer's existing 1password when you download it. Will uninviting the users from the dropbox 1password file be enough to start from scratch? Or will we need to go in and delete specific files?

2. Is there a tutorial on how to use, and share vaults?

3. I want to be able to include specific passwords in different vaults - I imagine we will do this using the 'main' license, and then share the vaults with the licenses we want to access them. Will this approach work?

4. Are there any special 1password features for businesses specifically that I should know about?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @caitlingm‌

Thanks for taking the time to contact us! I'll do my best to answer your questions here.

We want one main license to have access to all the other licenses and their passwords. We plan to do this using the 1password vaults.

At this time, 1Password business licenses operate much the same way as single user licenses, so there will be no 'main' license. With a business license, you will be assigned one license file, with permission to install for as many users as you have selected.

Your licenses are not tied to your datafile, so changing your license details will have no effect on your password data. You are welcome to set up a secondary vault that is shared with your entire team that contains all the necessary business passwords.

How do we transition the computers to their new licenses?

In 1Password, select 1Password > License, and you will have the option to 'Change License'. Simply select the new license file. If you have the previous license stored in the Software Licenses category, you may want to update that entry to reflect the new license information.

Will uninviting the users from the dropbox 1password file be enough to start from scratch? Or will we need to go in and delete specific files?

Since your 1Password license is not tied to the datafiles, you can keep your existing 1Password vault when you switch over to the business licenses.

If you wish to set up a fresh datafile, you can follow our Starting Over guide. Please have a read through of our support article: Secrets can't be unshared for advice on 'un-sharing' vaults.

I can provide you with some more specific instructions if you give me a few more details about your existing 1Password setup, including the version numbers of 1Password and the operating systems for all computers and devices currently running 1Password.

Is there a tutorial on how to use, and share vaults?

We have two handy support articles to help you out here:

I want to be able to include specific passwords in different vaults - I imagine we will do this using the 'main' license, and then share the vaults with the licenses we want to access them. Will this approach work?

As I've mentioned above, the license does not directly affect the vaults and datafiles. With 1Password, we strongly recommend that your primary vault be used for personal information that will not be shared. Then you are welcome to create as many shared secondary vaults with different groups of passwords for different members of your teams. The tutorials above provide the instructions on how to share those vaults in Dropbox.

Are there any special 1password features for businesses specifically that I should know about?

At this time, 1Password is a consumer-based app, so the business licenses will function the same way as the single-user licenses you are currently using. We would love to add some enterprise-based solutions for businesses such as yourselves in the future, but at this time, 1Password will continue to look and function the same when you apply the business licenses.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, we're here to help!

• caitlingm
    caitlingm
    Community Member

Could you explain like I'm 5 the way the licenses work? I paid for 4 business licenses, but only received 1 license (that I guess is for all 4 users?). I imagined we would get 4 individual licenses, which we would be able to use independently of one another.

What's the rationale behind only having 1 license instead of giving us 4 separate ones?

How would things change if I bought individual licenses instead of a business license?

If I'm supposed to set up individual 1passwords on different computers with this one license, how do I do that?

• caitlingm
    caitlingm
    Community Member

If I got a business license and purchased 4 'users' what does that mean - that we share the same master password? What we want is to use 1Password in 4 different departments (sales, production, admin, etc.) - and to have a different master password for each department.
    Is this going to be possible, or should I buy individual licenses?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @caitlingm‌

Thanks so much for your support of 1Password! I'd be happy to explain how our business licenses work.

I paid for 4 business licenses, but only received 1 license (that I guess is for all 4 users?). I imagined we would get 4 individual licenses, which we would be able to use independently of one another.

The license you were given can be used to install 1Password on the computers of all 4 users. The single license does not mean though that you have to share a vault/database though. 1Password can be set up separately for each user.

What's the rationale behind only having 1 license instead of giving us 4 separate ones?

It might not make much of a difference for 4 licenses, but for larger businesses, managing 30+ individual license files would be a bit unwieldy. A single license just makes things simpler.

How would things change if I bought individual licenses instead of a business license?

From a user's standpoint, there is no difference in how 1Password will operate with an individual license vs. a business license. We simply offer the business license option so that companies such as yourself can get a discount when purchasing multiple licenses.

If I'm supposed to set up individual 1passwords on different computers with this one license, how do I do that?

To set up 1Password, here's what you'll do:

• Download 1Password from our downloads page
    • Open 1Password and set up. We've got an article in our User Guide that can help you Install and set up 1Password. Please note that how you set up 1Password here will depend on how you want to organize the company vault. If you would explain a bit more about your ideal 1Password setup, I'd be happy to give you some more detailed instructions here. (Please see my questions below for some of the details I'd like to learn in order to give you the best instructions)
    • In 1Password select the 1Password > License menu option. A dialogue box will pop up to allow you to locate the license file on the hard drive. To apply the license file to multiple computers, you might want to have the license file either emailed to all users or available on a shared drive to install on the various users' machines.

What we want is to use 1Password in 4 different departments (sales, production, admin, etc.) - and to have a different master password for each department.

The business license will allow 4 users to install 1Password on as many computers as they use. There is no restriction on how many vaults you use, so each user can set up 1Password in any configuration they like, with as many separate vaults as you need.

If you would give me a bit more information about your ideal vault set-up I'd be happy to provide a more detailed outline about how you might want to get set up. Here are some things it would be handy for me to know:

• How many computers are you setting up with 1Password?
    • How many vaults (separate groups of data) are you planning to have?
    • Will each computer have all of the vaults, or which computers need access to which vaults?

Once I know a bit more about what you're looking for, I can help you get set up!

This discussion has been closed.