sync disconnected between 1Password 3Mac and 1Password 4iOS [Resolved: reset sync on iOS devices]

cleej
cleej
Community Member
edited July 2014 in iOS

Hi there, I have an issue happening, I have 1password version 3 on my MacBookPro (and it seems I cannot upgrade since the laptop is on Mountain Lion), I cannot upgrade to version 4 for it. So now, I have version 4 on my ipad (which upgraded so no version 3 is showing anymore). And now the two devices wont sync with each other any longer via Dropbox, which is a rel bummer as I use this every doy and now I am not seeing how to make them work together again :(

I can't upgrade the laptop to Mavericks, and the ipad id on IoS 7. So, anyone know how to make the sync work? Shouldnt it be backwarrd compatible so it can synce ver3 to 4 and vice versa?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cleej,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble keeping things synced up lately. 1Password 3 for Mac should sync with 1Password 4 for iOS just fine, so we should be able to sort this out in no time.

I've got a few basic things that we want to check regarding Dropbox first, before we get into the serious troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your computer
    • Check that you are logged in with the same account on all computers and devices
    • Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences > Sync on your Mac
    • Confirm that Dropbox is selected in Settings > Sync on your iOS device

If all of those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on each of your iOS devices ("Test, iPhone/iPad") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac" show up on either of your iOS devices?
    • Does "Test for iPhone" and/or "Test for iPad" show up on your Mac?
    • Log in to the Dropbox website and click on the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain folder
    • Enter your Master Password
    • Do either or any of your test entries show up in your database here?

Please let me know the results of this little experiment - once we have a better idea of where things are going sideways, we should be able to get this straightened out simply for you :)

• cleej
    cleej
    Community Member

I will run the tests when I get home tonight, the Mac isnt with me. But I had made an entry yesterday on the MBP and noticed today that it isnt on my ipad. WIll run some tests to check on it, thank you for the fast reply

• cleej
    cleej
    Community Member

update on this, it looks like after updating to version 4.2 on the ipad and iphone, both devices stopped syncing, ugh and double ugh.
    I now have seperete vault versions on each one, the ipad, iphone, and my mac :(

I suspect if I remove dropbox as a sync source for all three devices, and reenable it again on them, that the syncing will function again.

BUT since they are not syncing now, and I know I have input login and other data into each device recently (which I verified is only on the individual device not on the others), How can I reconcile so I don't lose data?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

Hi @cleej,

Because 1Password 3 only stores your data in one location, we need to be careful about how we reset sync here. We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices.

—iOS—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/knowledgebase/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

—Mac—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/knowledgebase/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac3-7or8

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• cleej
    cleej
    Community Member

Thank Megan, I will do this tonight when I get back to my Mac.

Here is some other information I have observed today:
    setup:
    Home host: 1Password3 with home vault on MacBookPro laptop, syncs to Dropbox-personal account (no problem here, MBP is syncing to Dropbox html file verifies new entries made form the laptop)
    Home iphone4s: 1Password4.2 with stored home vault, stopped syncing to Dropbox-home upon version 4.2 update)
    Home ipad2: 1Password4.2 with stored home vault, stopped syncing to Dropbox-home upon version 4.2 update)

Work host: 1Password 4.4.1 with work vault on MacPro, syncs to Dropbox-work account (no problems here in syncing from Mac to DP-work)
    Work ipad mini: 1Password 4.2 with work vault, syncs fine with Dropbox-work account

Home-Work iphone4s (same phone as noted above): 1Password4.2 with home vault (stored local as it is not syncing to the Dropbox-home file now) AND with work vault (which is syncing just fine from work Mac and Doropbox-work).

I screen capped the phone setup for you here, the pictures show 1password4 on iphone4s with both vaults (Primary is Home vault, 1Password is Work vault). When I look at the sync settings for each of them, the Primary shows the information for Dropbox account, but looks like it wants to setup sync or that it partially remmebers it?, whereas the work settings show the actual sync connection with a sync now choice. I just remembered the dual vault on ht phone, so the all 1Password v4 environment at work (MacPro, ipad mini, and the vault link on my iphone) all hook up just fine and sync as they should. A test of a new entry on phone in work vault propagated via Dropbox-work within seconds to MacPro and ipad mini. Editing that entry on ipad, the change went through to MacPro and iphone in seconds. So it looks like the all 1passwod4 setup at work is working fine with dropbox and my ohone as a second vault.

The same test on the home setup, made a new entry in iphone primary vault, neither macbookpro, ipad, or Dropbox html file received change. Making new entry in ipad2, again, neither macbookpro nor iphone or Dropbox html got the change. Making a new entry inMacBookPro, neither iphone nor ipad received it, BUT the html on Dropbox did.

• cleej
    cleej
    Community Member
    edited July 2014

Hi @Megan,

I just sent in the diagnostic reports form the ipad and iphone (since I have them with me) but will have to wait to send the laptop one.

• cleej
    cleej
    Community Member

OMG YAHOO!!!! Okay being OCD and a bit geeky, I finally got the sync working! Not tested with the laptop yet, but I managed to point the ipad and iphone vaults to the right Dropbox location, there seems to be three agilebits keychains up on Dropbox and for some reason the devices forgot which was the right one. In the settings on the ipad and iphone I tapped on the settings and dropbox sync, chose the file I knew was the right one, and boom they are synced now :) Since laptop wa syncing I am going to assume it still does, will post here final test results.

• Jasper
    edited July 2014

Hi @cleej,

I'm glad to hear you were able to get everything sorted out! Let us know if your laptop is syncing correctly too. :)

I've closed your email ticket for now, but please let me know if you have any other problems with this and we can investigate.

internal reference number: NIF-84379-631

• cleej
    cleej
    Community Member

laptop is still syncing so they all look good now. In summary fix was to disconnect dropbox off the iphone and ipad and reconnect them, I did nothing to the laptop.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014

Hi @cleej,

Thanks for letting us know that you're back up and running!

Since this issue is nicely sorted out now, I'll close this thread. But if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.