Can't access dropbox keychain

Options
robsonch
robsonch
Community Member

I've been using 1password with dropbox for a while and only yesterday i figure out that after upgrade my computer's 1password that i realized that somehow it stop to sync with dropbox and have few weeks already!!! Did some upgrade made that??
So i sync back and start to work smoothly... to double check i enter in my iphone's 1password and for my surprise it also wasn't synchronized!!! I mean, seems that some update in broth stop my syncs...
I tried to sync back iphone 1password - dropbox... but keep saying that i don't have one keychain file?!?!?!?!?! worst of all is that it is working fine with my ipad!!!!
any suggestions?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robsonch,

I'm so sorry for the trouble here. Have you perchance renamed your primary keychain? At this time, your primary keychain needs to have the default name (1Password.agilekeychain) in order for 1Password 4 for iOS to find it during set-up.

I hope this helps you get all synced up, but if you're still having difficulties, please let me know and we'll investigate further. :)

• robsonch
    robsonch
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, thanks for your reply. It is the original name created by 1password as robson.agilekeychain, should i rename it to 1password? then, in my computer should i reassign?

• MrRooni
    Options

Good morning @robsonch‌. You should rename your robson.agilekeychain file to 1Password.agilekeychain. Here are some steps for you to follow:

1. Open 1Password on your Mac and unlock your vault with your Master Password.
    2. Click on 1Password in the menu bar and choose Preferences... from the menu that appears.
    3. Click on the Sync tab.
    4. Click the Change Syncing... button.
    5. Make sure the Delete data from Dropbox checkbox is NOT checked and click the Disable Sync button.
    6. Open up the Dropbox folder on your Mac and find the robson.agilekeychain file and rename it to 1Password.agilekeychain.
    7. Go back to 1Password on your Mac and setup syncing again, this time pointing it to your newly renamed 1Password.agilekeychain file.
    8. Setup syncing on your iPhone again.

Let me know how these steps work out for you and if there's anything else I can do for you.

• pdm32
    pdm32
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. Apparently an update broke the ability of 1P to sync with a Dropbox file / folder with any name other than 1Password.agilekeychain? My Q is after I take the steps above to rename the shared Dropbox folder, when I set up sync, 1P says that it found other 1P information (in the renamed file / folder) and wants to merge the two databases. Should I let it? Or what am I doing wrong? Will not merge until you advise. Thanks.

• robsonch
    robsonch
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, so far need to merge them, but 1password is smart enough to not duplicate them!
    It is so sad that need to keep 1password.agilekeychain name... i like the way as was since won't be the first in dropbox folder, also, reduce chance to work with more than 1 database.

• robsonch
    robsonch
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks MrRooni!! worked fine!! had to cancel dropbox share with my wife and resync to work with her dropbox as well... Thanks!

• MrRooni
    Options

@robsonch‌ Glad to hear it!

@pdm32 Before you merge your vaults, a couple questions:

1. Do you have any shared vaults that you're also syncing?
    2. Where is you most up-to-date 1Password data?
  • pdm32
    pdm32
    Community Member
    Options

So, based on the comments, it would seem that I should merge the two databases. But 1P asks for the Dropbox password, and when I give it the correct password, 1P's dialog refuses it. What iis going on? The primary vault (my computer?) has the most recent data. Assistance appreciated! Thank you!

• pdm32
    pdm32
    Community Member
    Options

PS I also share this vault with my wife!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pdm32,

I apologize for the confusion here. 1Password is not asking for the Dropbox password, it is asking for the Master Password of the vault that you have selected.

Are you syncing any secondary vaults in Dropbox at the moment? Please take a peek inside your Dropbox folder to see if there are any other .agilekeychain files stored in there. We certainly don't want to inadvertently merge two different databases! :)

• pdm32
    pdm32
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I have an older .agilekeychain FILE that is named 1Password Large.agilekeychain from a problem years ago. It is not quite as large as the newer FOLDER that I am now pointed to, named 1Password.agilekeychain, 25.1 MB v. 25.4 MB, so I am assuming that it could be trashed, but I would like to somehow save it out to confirm that I have the correct keychain after the dust settles. And, as above, I share this with my wife, but know how to point her 1P to the correct folder once everything is working. Whatever you tell me to do about merging is what I will do with my wife's 1P, unless you tell me otherwise. Thanks.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @pdm32,

but I would like to somehow save it out to confirm that I have the correct keychain after the dust settles.

I'd recommend making a local copy of the .agilekeychain files somewhere on your Mac, just in case.

I share this with my wife, but know how to point her 1P to the correct folder once everything is working.

Simply setup Dropbox syncing to your .agilekeychain on her devices. If she has existing data, I would recommend making a backup copy of it too, just in case.

• pdm32
    pdm32
    Community Member
    Options

All is now well. Thank you for your kind assistance.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pdm32,

On behalf of @JasperP, thanks so much for letting us know that you're all sorted out! I'm so glad to hear that you're up and running again. Please do let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

• smcutler
    smcutler
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I'm using dropbox on my Mac laptop and desktop to keep 1password synced -- but it won't sync. I've tried all the steps above. The desktop has the up-to-date keychain and the laptop simply won't update, even though the keychain is properly named, there is only one file with its name in dropbox, dropbox itself is syncing fine. There is only one 1password.agilekeychain on both the Macbook and iMac, in the dropbox folder in each. I changed syncing on the laptop many times, linking to the keychain in dropbox and while it says on the laptop that it is synced, 1password keeps giving me old and outdated passwords. Going crazy here. thanks, Steve

• Jasper
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @smcutler,

Sorry to hear about the trouble!

Please try completely re-setting Dropbox sync:

• On your iOS device(s), open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service, then Disable Sync.

• On your Mac(s), open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password 4 menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and then Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.
    • Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• Restart all your devices.

• On your Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back to any other Macs and iOS devices and re-enable Dropbox sync.

If that doesn't help, could you please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with your forum username and a link to this discussion to support+forum@agilebits.com so we can investigate further.

This discussion has been closed.