File attachments - any size limitations?

Options
rctneil
rctneil
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Mac

I get all my payslips electronically and I can download them as a PDF. So I was thinking 1Password might be a good place to store them securely. I added them all to a secure note but then noticed the filesize of my agilekeychain jump (obviously). Is it ok to have a large filesized keychain or is doing this not a good idea?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rctneil,

1Password is not generally the best place to store large attachments (or a multitude of smaller ones.) I generally use 1Password attachments to store simple things like a copy of my passport, drivers' license and any such documents I might need to have on hand. But they are merely there as backups, as all my details are already stored in 1Password.

The reason we don't recommend storing large attachments in your keychain is due to file size. If you are syncing data to all your devices, a larger keychain will require more space on all devices (of course) and use more data/bandwidth to sync up. The file size of attachments is restricted to 5MB on iOS and Android devices for this reason - you will not be able to view larger attachments on your mobile devices.

If you're looking for more serious encrypted storage, you might want to look into software that encrypts all or a part of your drive. AgileBits actually has something that could help you out here. Feel free to take a look at Knox.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan,

Much appreciate your reply and yes it all makes sense.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Neil ( @rctneil ),

On behalf of @Megan, you're most welcome. I'm sure she will appreciate her reply all making sense to you. :)

• Martin_la_Cour
    Martin_la_Cour
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there

First of all -loving 1password! Great product

I use secure notes for many different items and information.
    Often I scan copies of important docs -save them as pdf's and attach them to the secure notes. I however bumped into the 5 mb limits pr. file -very annoying!
    Can't this be raised to 15/20 mb pr file? I know it makes the 1password file bigger, but it is so convenient having all these things store securely and safe one place...

Sincerely Martin

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Another reason for the size limit is that sync times increase too.

• Martin_la_Cour
    Martin_la_Cour
    Community Member
    Options

I am aware of that, but it is still a limitation that limits the use of the software :(

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Have you looked at Knox, another AgileBits application? It's designed for securely storing larger items.

I have no experience with it, but I thought it was worth mentioning here.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Thanks for your kind words, Marin ( @Martin_la_Cour ). :)

I've merged your topic with a related one where @Megan elaborates a bit on what @hawkmoth also mentioned.

I can let our developers know that you'd like to have the supported file size for 1Password attachments increased to 15-20MB. Thanks for the request and feedback!

ref: DOCS-266

This discussion has been closed.