Password history

Options
hhojman
hhojman
Community Member

In Password 3, there was a button under "Password Generator" with the password history. I can't find in Password 4. Is it still there?
Thank you.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

In the main application in any open Login record, there is a button to show previously used passwords. Is that what you're after?

• hhojman
    hhojman
    Community Member
    Options

No. It was inside the password generator windows. This was useful when generating a password for something else than a login.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hhojman‌,

Thanks for the screenshot! That explains what you're looking for. :) I'm happy to say that this feature is still available in version 4.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• hhojman
    hhojman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Thank you for your response. Glad to hear (and see) that it is still there. However, for some reason it is not showing on mine. Neither on the 1Password mini nor on the Firefox extension. I hope you can see on the attached picture. I'm talking partial screenshots (Comand-Shift-4) but for some reason it comes very small.
    1Password has been crashing a lot lately. Usually when I enter the password. I would guess that something got corrupted.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @hhojman,

Only generated passwords for the current webpage will be displayed there.

What webpage was open in your Browser when you took that screenshot? Do you have any generated passwords saved for that website?

• hhojman
    hhojman
    Community Member
    Options

There was an app (Tuneapp) that required creating a password in order to register. I used 1Password to generate the password.
    The same username and password has to be used on their website. However, although I copied and then pasted the password, it didn't work. I thought that probably made a mistake. When I went to check the history, I couldn't find it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hhojman‌

Thanks for clarifying that! Did you generate the password when the Tuneapp had focus? All generated passwords are stored in the 'Passwords' category in your sidebar. Take a look in the category and see if you can find one titled 'Tuneapp'. If you generated the password when the app itself had focus, it won't show up in the password generator's history when you are visiting the tuneapp website, but it should be saved in this category. I hope this helps!

• jefferis
    jefferis
    Community Member
    Options

I think we need a global password history. I found that when creating a check paying account for my bank, it went to a different website to create my login, but then requries me to login from my bank's url. I can't remember the checking url, so I can't find it in my history!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jefferis,

I'm sorry that you've been having trouble locating your password in the 'Passwords' category. This category can be sorted by 'Date Created', so if you remember the date that this password was created, you can find it based on the date. Just click on the 'xx items sorted by _____' bar at the top of the list to change your sort options.

In the future, the 'Fill' button of the password generator comes with a handy option to 'Copy to Clipboard Before Filling'. Just click on the arrow next to the 'Fill' button to see if this option is enabled. When it is, your new password will be copied onto your clipboard so that you can paste it into a new entry in 1Password if 1Password does not automatically prompt you to create a new Login.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, we're here to help!

• khelliwell
    khelliwell
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, but I'm afraid that I think the Password Generator History still seems broken. Sure, I see the history list, but there doesn't seem to be any way to access the generated passwords that I can see. I've been searching the online documentation for some discussion of how to access this history data, and I draw a blank. If Agilebits wants to change the way a former feature works, then I would hope that there would be some documentation for the change. "Password Generator History" turns up nothing, and "Password Generator" turns up only info about using the generator. The history feature worked fine under version 3; under version 4, I keep having to re-generate passwords because I forget to save the newly generated password while it is (fleetingly) still available.

To me, the feature is broken. If I have to generate new passwords more than once to make an update to a login, I regard that as a failure of 1Password.

So: prove me wrong: point me to the web page that discusses this, or explain how it is supposed to work.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @khelliwell,

I'm happy to explain how you can access passwords/items that have been created using 1Password mini's Password Generator. :)

Sure, I see the history list, but there doesn't seem to be any way to access the generated passwords that I can see.

You can use the Shift-Command-C (⇧⌘C) keyboard shortcut to copy the password from a Password item selected under the History list in Password Generator. For example, with these twitter.com Password items:

At the moment multiple items can't be easily differentiated there, as you can see. We do have a request in our tracker to improve that.

But you can also access each of those items, with their details, in the Passwords category of 1Password mini (regardless of which application is in the foreground):

… and the main application:

Note that Password items like these will only appear after clicking Copy or Fill in Password Generator. And they're removed after being converted to Login items.

The history feature worked fine under version 3; under version 4, I keep having to re-generate passwords because I forget to save the newly generated password while it is (fleetingly) still available.

Each time you use Copy or Fill in Password Generator there should always be a Password item created with the password saved in it, accessible as described above. That's the thing not to forget or 1Password has no way of remembering. :)

If I have to generate new passwords more than once to make an update to a login, I regard that as a failure of 1Password.

In case the 1Password Update Login window doesn't appear when updating a site's password, the password that was generated/saved using Password Generator is still available in a Password item to use for manually updating that site's Login item. That should eliminate or significantly reduce the need to regenerate passwords.

I hope this information makes Password Generator "history", which is essentially Password items, more understandable and easier for you to use. Let us know if you still have questions or concerns about this and we'll be glad to help you out. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.