The big thread on TouchID issues with 1Password 4.6 betas

Comments

• Thanks for the updates, everyone. @holgr, have you tried @mikeT's steps from above to reset Touch ID?

@sternklang‌ We've submitted a bug to Apple about this but have yet to hear back.

• zemackdaddy
    zemackdaddy
    Community Member

I am having the exact same issues as volcom45. I could have typed exactly the same descriptions post by post. Describes exactly what I'm going through with all of the betas so far.

• zemackdaddy
    zemackdaddy
    Community Member

I even restored iOS bake at three on Sunday and reinstalled the 1Password beta and still have the same problem.

• Sorry for the trouble @zemackdaddy, we're working to get this issue cleaned up, we just don't have anything to report yet.

• martinlange
    martinlange
    Community Member

Touch ID is working quite well for me. I also notice the two point @stringbean‌ mentioned in post #59. Although that I have to enter my master password after I canceled Touch ID authentification is fine for me.

I do have some issue with the share extension and passwords not filled (already discussed in some other threads) and the invisible keyboard in the quick unlock. For me this just happens if I have setup an alphanumeric password. If I just use a PIN to unlock my device also this screen has a keyboard.

-Martin

• MikeT
    edited July 2014

Hi guys,

@zemarkdaddy and @volcom45‌,

This might not be the cause but I'm curious if this might make the difference. Can you go to Settings > Advanced in 1Password on your iOS devices and tell me if Use iOS keychain is disabled here? If yes, can you enable it and see if TouchID works better?

@martinlange and @stringbean,

1. Am I correct to assume that you'd like us to add an icon here to unlock via TouchID instead of the master password? It is intentional to present the master password field if you cancel TouchID, that's the only way to unlock 1Password, either you provide the password or TouchID provides it to us.
    2. We're investigating the prompt remaining after the app is already unlocked quickly via TouchID.

@marginlange:

I do have some issue with the share extension and passwords not filled (already discussed in some other threads) and the invisible keyboard in the quick unlock.

That's the result of the extension losing connection to the 1Password app, there's not much we can do on our side right now as it is an issue in the iOS 8 itself. We've filed a few radars on this and the fact that Apple's adding more stuff related to this in each new iOS 8 beta suggests that extensions are still very much in flux in iOS 8. Hopefully, our radars will help Apple fix the stability issues in the next few betas.

• martinlange
    martinlange
    Community Member

@MikeT‌, from my point of view, it's absolutely fine as it is right now (cancel Touch ID -> I have to enter master password).

The only things is, if I cancel Touch ID I have to select the password field in order to reveal the keyboard and enter my password. Compared to that, if I start the app (without Touch ID, quick unlock) the password field is pre-selected and I can start typing directly.

• Oh, I see what you mean, the keyboard field isn't automatically selected when canceling TouchID. I'll file an improvement request to do that automatically.

• BinEP
    BinEP
    Community Member
    edited July 2014

I too have been experiencing the prompt remaining after unlocking.

Also, not sure if anyone else has this problem/ request, but when I unlock the app using Touch ID, the screen disappears. It goes right to where you were before. There is no animation showing the unlock. It would be nice to have the unlocking animation like what happens when entering the Master Password.

• MikeT
    edited July 2014

Hi @BinEP,

We're still looking into the stuck TouchID prompt, it might be another iOS 8 bug.

At the moment, we're mainly focusing on stabilizing the core features before we do any GUI work, so that's why there is no unlock animation being reused for the TouchID just yet. I'll make sure we have it on the list to fix when we get to that point.

• Ken Hagemann
    Ken Hagemann
    Community Member

I have the keychain enabled and tend it off and reset and now not having issues accesisng via touch id

• Hi @Ken Hagemann‌,

When you say keychain, do you mean the iCloud keychain?

• Jono
    Jono
    Community Member

Thanks for the recent updates. I reset Touch ID and now am able to use it with the app, and extension in Safari.

• ferratus
    ferratus
    Community Member

I had an issue since beta 6 or so where with TouchID enabled the prompt would show up but when I pressed my thumb the prompt would just disappear and not unlock the app. I would then have to unlock with the passphrase.

After reading this thread I decided to try several things and disabling TouchID in 1password'd settings area and then reenabling it fixed the issue.

• Thanks for the feedback, folks.

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member

@MikeT I checked the setting you mention about keychain in advanced settings and it is on. I had to restore my phone to a fresh install of iOS8 beta 4 and since doing that, the TouchID seems to be working much better. It seems after a reboot, it wants the master password again even if set for 30 days, but other than that, seems to stick as it should. Thx for working with us on this.

• MaxHasADHD
    MaxHasADHD
    Community Member

Same issue, Button turns off right away In this beta.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

I just updated to iOS 8 beta 5. This has fixed the issue where the "Quick Unlock" overlay comes up with no keyboard. That feature works fine on the iPad Air now.

• stringbean
    stringbean
    Community Member

Am I correct to assume that you'd like us to add an icon here to unlock via TouchID instead of the master password? It is intentional to present the master password field if you cancel TouchID, that's the only way to unlock 1Password, either you provide the password or TouchID provides it to us.

This would be useful for the times when you accidentally dismiss the TouchID prompt.

The bigger issue for me is that if you dismiss the prompt then exit without entering your master password, it will skip the TouchID and go straight to the password prompt until you enter it. If you start the app by accident (or unlock your phone with the app in the foreground) you have to either touch auth or dismiss then quit - forcing you to enter your master password next time. I feel that closing the app or backgrounding it should show TouchID on next start regardless of whether the prompt has been dismissed.

• Ken Hagemann
    Ken Hagemann
    Community Member

on ios Beta 5, and 4.6b10 and have an issue with Passcode. Worked fine until I added an Exchange account. The option for the Touch ID no longer appears and only displays the box for the master passcode. Removed exchange account, reset all settings and TouchID works.

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member

Turns out I am still getting regular "Master Password" requests instead of TouchID even with the setting at 30 days and the keychain on. On ios8 Beta 5.

• nbarron
    nbarron
    Community Member

Just a comment to say plus one on the issue that volcom45 is facing: I have TouchID prompts extended out to 30 days but am regularly asked for my master password when opening the app. To answer an earlier question, 'Use iOS Keychain' is set to enabled. Running iOS 8 b5 and 1Password beta 4.6b11

• Hi guys,

@volcom45:

It seems after a reboot, it wants the master password again even if set for 30 days, but other than that, seems to stick as it should. Thx for working with us on this.

That may be intentional since rebooting your iPhone would lock the keychain completely. That's why TouchID doesn't work after reboots as you would have to unlock with the passphrase first. I'll double check to make sure this is accurate.

@MaxHassADHD:

Same issue, Button turns off right away In this beta.

If you're using TouchID on your iPhone 5S, you need to reset the TouchID database. Follow the instructions in my post here and it'll resolve the issue for you.

@sternklang:

I just updated to iOS 8 beta 5. This has fixed the issue where the "Quick Unlock" overlay comes up with no keyboard. That feature works fine on the iPad Air now.

That's awesome, thanks for updating to let us know. I can confirm the same here.

@stringbean:

I feel that closing the app or backgrounding it should show TouchID on next start regardless of whether the prompt has been dismissed.

Ah, I see what you mean now. We'll investigate to see if this is something we can control. It might be an intentional side effect by iOS not to present the prompt next time if you cancelled it.

@volcom45 and @nbbarron:

Just a comment to say plus one on the issue that volcom45 is facing: I have TouchID prompts extended out to 30 days but am regularly asked for my master password when opening the app. To answer an earlier question, 'Use iOS Keychain' is set to enabled. Running iOS 8 b5 and 1Password beta 4.6b11

I assume you mean you've extended the master passcode request time to 30 days, not TouchID since you can only request that up to 24 hours.

Right now we're thinking this is related to the iOS termination policy, we might not be able to request TouchID after 1Password is terminated in the background. However, this could very well be a bug in iOS 8. We're still investigating this and hope to have good news soon.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

Right now we're thinking this is related to the iOS termination policy, we might not be able to request TouchID after 1Password is terminated in the background. However, this could very well be a bug in iOS 8. We're still investigating this and hope to have good news soon.

I seem to recall this would happen once in a while even with the non-beta version of 1PW with the PIN. That is even if the request time for the PIN hadn't gone by 1PW would prompt for the master passcode. It was a fairly rare occurrence, as opposed to the beta TouchID behavior that seems to happen pretty regularly.

• Hi @sternklang,

It was a fairly rare occurrence, as opposed to the beta TouchID behavior that seems to happen pretty regularly.

The whole quick unlock system is actually brand new on iOS 8, so it is excepted to have completely different reactions compared to the previous versions. Right now, we don't know if this is a bug in iOS 8 or in our code for this new system. A lot of things have been fixed in each successive iOS beta and we haven't heard back from Apple if this is a bug on their side or on our side.

Hopefully, we'll figure this out in the next few weeks before the rumored announcement on Sept 9th.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT‌,

It's an excellent feature so best of luck with you or Apple resolving the issue. Now let's hope for a new iPad with TouchID this fall, typing a passcode is so 2013. ;)

• Oh, I know. I'm already trying to save as much as I can for the new iPad with TouchID. Every time I switch to the iPad from the iPhone, I keep staring blankly at the iPad and try to figure out why it is not letting me in. :D

Stay tuned for the next few betas, we're going to have some extra support for those without TouchID.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

I installed b14 on my iPad Air. I tried out the revived PIN functionality, and it seems to have the same behavior as described above regarding being asked for the master passcode instead of TouchID. That is, the time configured for requiring master passcode has not yet elapsed, but instead of being prompted for a PIN I'm prompted for master passcode.

On a non-TouchID device, I think the PIN is a better choice than the system passcode. I have a complex system passcode, I don't really want to be entering it for 1Password as well. But using a complex system passcode to unlock the device, using master password to unlock 1PW once a day and then having a 4 digit PIN throughout the day seems like the right level of security. So I think reviving the PIN was a really good choice until all iDevices have TouchID.

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member

I'm finding that if I have TouchID enabled but have "Lock on exit" disabled, I am way less frequently being asked for the master password. It of course doesn't ask for TouchID either and just goes right into the app, but it retains this lack of Master Password it seems more on par with the 30 days I specified compared to when lock on exit is enabled. As pointed out above, it does seem like it is related to the iOS multitasking termination policy, because if you use a bunch more apps regularly, that's when you seem to be prompted for the Master Password instead of TouchID. But the fact that this same loss of functionality doesn't occur towards the "Lock on exit" option no matter what termination policy occurs in the background, makes it seem to me more like a bug rather than intended functionality. It sounds like sternklang is experiencing the same behavior with the PIN code.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

Interestingly enough, while I did run into this issue with the PIN on my iPad, I have had no issues with TouchID on my iPhone with b14. It's been working correctly, prompting me for TouchID all day long rather than master passcode.

I have "Lock on exit" enabled on the iPhone and disabled on the iPad, the opposite of what @volcom45‌ just reported.

This discussion has been closed.