Why is 1Password not filling my logins? [reenabled "Automatically ask to save new Logins" option]

Options
RayJG
RayJG
Community Member
edited August 2014 in Mac

I have tried each and every solution in the FAQ list without success. It is very inconvenient and difficult sometimes to enter new logins. I have tried desperately to see other solutions without success. Where do I go from here?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

I assume when you say you've read the FAQ you are referring to the knowledge base article 1Password fails to fill data. On the basis that you've tried all the suggestions in that article we need to know more about your setup before we can help, I think.

Please confirm the version numbers of 1P4 and OS X that you're using. Please tell us what browser you are using and the 1P4 extension version number in that browser. Finally, please explain exactly what happens when, for example, you go to a login page for which you've saved details in 1P4 and then press ⌘\ (which should trigger 1P4 to fill in the details but presumably doesn't in your case).

Edit: I've assumed you're definitely not using Sophos but please confirm that.

Stephen

• richinwalla
    richinwalla
    Community Member
    Options

1Password is not navigating to URL and filling in username/email and password. I must navigate myself and copy username and password to login. I'm running OS 10.9.4, Firefox 31.0 and 1Password 4.4.1. 1Password with Safari is working.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

As I'm using OS X 10.9.4 and FF 31.0 (albeit with 1P4 4.4.2.BETA-3) and don't have problems I think I'd still like to know exactly what you do to get 1P4 to open a link.

1. If YOU navigate to a login page and then press ⌘\ does 1P mini log you in?
    2. If you first open 1P mini, with FF open, by pressing ⌥⌘\, use the arrows keys to highlight a login in 1P mini then press Enter does nothing at all happen? That should take you to the relevant page and log you in, and it works for me.

Sorry for more questions but we need to understand what is going wrong and where it's going wrong for you.

Stephen

• RayJG
    RayJG
    Community Member
    Options

Stephen,

I am using, 1Password 4, Version 4.4.1 (441008), My OS is 10.9.4, I am using Firefox 30 and extension is 4.2.3. Also, Safari 7.0.5 with extension 4.2.3. I am not using Sophos. I never use keyboard to activate a new login. In the past when I am at a new page the 1PW program would automatically take over and show what I was entering which of course does not happen now. And, Mini never gets activated no matter what. All of my existing logins work just fine by just clicking on the login title which takes me directly to a new tab and the site I need to see. My problem is the program no longer takes over for new sites.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks the additional information, @RayJG.

In the past when I am at a new page the 1PW program would automatically take over and show what I was entering which of course does not happen now.

Are you opening a new page and filling using 1Password's Go & Fill (aka open and fill function? If you open a page some other way, 1Password will never fill it without explicit user invocation. In other words, opening a page without using Go & Fill never triggers 1Password to automatically fill it.

And, Mini never gets activated no matter what.

1Password mini doesn't appear if you click its menu bar icon or the extension's "key" icon in your browser?

All of my existing logins work just fine by just clicking on the login title which takes me directly to a new tab and the site I need to see.

That sounds like Go & Fill is working okay for you with the main application.

My problem is the program no longer takes over for new sites.

Can you describe the steps you're using and what isn't happening the way you expect it to? Is 1Password not offering to auto-save new Login items for those new sites? I'm not sure what you mean by "takes over". 1Password won't be able to fill any sites until Login items exist for them. :)

• RayJG
    RayJG
    Community Member
    Options

You are absolutely to the point that 1PW is not offering to "auto-save new Login items". And, what I meant by "takes over" is that 1PW would automatically do what is expected and what I experienced in the past before the most recent update. Also, I might ask, "what is and where is Go & Fill? Until you mentioned this term I had never been aware of it. All in all my problem seems to be that before the recent update I had no problem but now I do.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @RayJG.

… 1PW is not offering to "auto-save new Login items".

Is that happening with every new site or just certain ones? Please double-check that Automatically ask to save new Logins is still enabled in the Browser tab of the main application Preferences window:

And, what I meant by "takes over" is that 1PW would automatically do what is expected and what I experienced in the past before the most recent update.

I'm still not sure exactly what you're expecting 1Password to automatically do that it isn't doing any more. Some specific "I'm doing X, but Y no longer happens" steps/results would help clear that up. :)

Also, I might ask, "what is and where is Go & Fill? Until you mentioned this term I had never been aware of it.

It's defined on the 1Password 4 Glossary page:

A step-saving function that takes you to the saved login page, fills the form with your saved credentials, and (optionally) submits the form, when you’re on a blank web page in your browser and you select a saved login from 1Password’s menu, or when the URL stored in the Login you select doesn’t match the URL of the current page, or when you’re in the main 1Password app/program and click on a URL in a Login.

Earlier you'd mentioned:

All of my existing logins work just fine by just clicking on the login title which takes me directly to a new tab and the site I need to see.

If you're double-clicking anywhere on a Login item in the items list, that's another way to use Go & Fill:

All in all my problem seems to be that before the recent update I had no problem but now I do.

To get to the bottom of this, please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful.

After reviewing the report we'll be able to better assist you with getting this sorted out quicker. Thanks in advance!

• RayJG
    RayJG
    Community Member
    Options

ALL IS WELL! The simple suggestion to enable the tab, "Automatically ask to save new Logins" solved the problem. I have successfully activated a new login for which 1PW automatically accepted my entries. This is now one point curve but it is my expectation that henceforth things will follow accordingly. Thanks for all your patience and help and keep up the good work.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news, @RayJG! Thanks for letting us know what worked for you to resolve the problem.

And now that this has a happy ending I'll close this discussion. We're here for you if you have any other issues or questions, so please don't hesitate to start a new topic or email us directly at support@agilebits.com. :)

This discussion has been closed.