Import csv file "0 items imported / 0 items failed"

Options
alanterra
alanterra
Community Member

Hi. I just downloaded 1Password and am trying to import my passwords from PasswordWallet. I massaged the entries into 5 columns, changed the delimiter to a comma (not obvious, as most of us use tabs), changed the extension to "csv", and I get "0 items imported, 0 items failed". It will import the first few lines (I checked that), but not all of them.

Now I can do a "divide and conquer" strategy looking for the offending line, but it seems like a lot of work (clip off the last 50% of the items, then clip off half of what is left or add back in half of what you deleted, back and forth until you find the line that 1Password doesn't like).

Isn't there a hint anywhere of why it won't import my file?

I have tons of passwords, and retyping all into 1Password seems like a daunting task.

(Yes, the end of line indicator in the csv file is a LF. I am using UTF-8 encoding.)

Comments

• alanterra
    alanterra
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, and while I am on the subject of import, is there a reason that the import puts the password into cleartext when you import a csv file?

If the imported file has the line "list_name,website,login_name,login_password,my notes" then 1Password puts in its "Notes" field the following:

title: list_name
    username: login_name
    password: login_password
    notes: my notes

Sort of obviates the "••••••••" string for the password field shown on the screen!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alanterra,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with importing your data into 1Password 4. It sounds like already have it correctly formatted it in the CSV input format documented in this article:

How can I import data from another application?

Maybe we need to make it clearer the importer accepts Comma Separated Values, not Tab Separate Values?

When you're able to identify specific lines from the input file that the CSV importer is failing on could you please email us a redacted CSV sample includes those lines (plus a link to this forum topic for cross referencing)?

The reason imported data can end up as cleartext in notes field of 1Password items is implied in the aforementioned article:

1Password captures every field of data from your source file in the notes field of the item it creates just in case something extra was there or 1Password doesn’t have a field dedicated to that field in the source file.

It redundantly includes data already in dedicated fields (including the cleartext password), erring on the side of including too much rather than too little data. Any unwanted data in post-import notes fields has to be manually removed/modified. Indeed, that can be a tedious process (speaking from personal experience after importing +900 items from SplashID) but needn't be done in a single sitting. :)

Thanks for your patience and help with this. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at the moment.

• GregInSydney
    GregInSydney
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

I also get this fault when trying to import a csv file from another app.
    I've also tried importing into numbers exporting to a different csv file in numbers
    Also tried the same thing in excel and tried an app to change the end of line from mac to unix (\n) and to doc (\r\n) and it still fails
    This file imports fine into wallet and I'm beginning to think that I should have stayed with that after I moved from keeper
    I'm not off to a good start
    PS: I'm using 1Password Version 4.1(410009)

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GregInSydney,

When creating the CSV, try removing the quotation marks (the default text delimiter). That should allow you to import your file into 1Password 4.

• cbdoc
    cbdoc
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

I'm having this exact issue with version 4.1 (410009). Keeps showing "0 items imported / 0 items failed". I'm very familiar with flat text files and the intricacies of csv's: i'm pretty sure my file is real comma delimited csv file with the proper carriage returns. I'm able to import this csv file into other applications (Numbers, OoCalc, Excel, Wallet) just fine.

If i change the import type to LastPass csv, it imports the data but obviously the fields are all wrong.

I tried removing the quotation marks and it still doesn't import any records.

Can you please address this issue?

• herby
    herby
    Community Member
    Options

Me Too!
    I want to import from Lastpass, but also get this "0 items imported / 0 items failed" message.
    This is frustrating, there is no way, I will input all my passwords again!
    Please help!
    Seasons Greetings from Germany

• cynthiaer
    cynthiaer
    Community Member
    Options

I seem to be having the same problem as others have trying to import a CSV file. I am using a Mac and excel to generate the CSV file (tried the windows format csv to address the CR/LF issue, but the other CSV formats produce similar results).
    The file is in the format for login as indicated here: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/import.html#csv--comma-separated-values) . However, all I get is the 0 items imported/0 items failed.
    I am going to use your reporting tool to send you the diagnostics. Hopefully, that way you can tell me what I am doing wrong.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

@cbdoc wrote:

i'm pretty sure my file is real comma delimited csv file with the proper carriage returns.

Please try changing newlines in your CSV file from CR (Carriage return) to LF (Line feed) and ensure it uses UTF-8 character encoding. For more details refer to:

This post (#15).

That might work for you too, @herby and @cynthiaer.

• cynthiaer
    cynthiaer
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the information. I used both your suggestion (the CR/LF and the UTF-8). No problems there, but the file still would not import. So I took the trouble to split the file and only import a few lines at a time. It worked fine, with no changes, whatsoever, to any of the lines. When I got to the last 4 entries, they would not import as one. They did, however, import one at a time, again with NO changes to any of the lines. So something is weird/wrong with the importing function of CSV files. Very frustrating.
    I am going to sync now, I am hoping that there will be no issues there.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @cynthiaer.

I'm so glad to hear you've tackled your CSV importing problem. @maratm mentioned that certain special characters in password fields were troublesome, which could be the same reason why the importer was misbehaving with some of your CSV input. I suggest verifying the accuracy of data in the 1Password items for those last entries you imported one at a time. I do apologize for the inconvenience and frustration this has caused you.

• teapoet9
    teapoet9
    Community Member
    Options

Please see my comment in another post. I'm having the same issue and have taken all the steps you recommend. Importing CSV files from LastPass is not working. I am receiving the same error messages. I have heavily cleaned up my entries and still nothing is importing. I have also checked everything else - odd characters in the name, UTF-8 & LF, etc. Getting quite frustrated. Please help!

1P 4
    OSX 10.9.1
    MBP Late 2013

Thank you!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi, @teapoet9.

I've followed up with your other post about this LastPass CSV importing issue so we're not fragmenting the discussion between here and there. :)

• lesfuchs
    lesfuchs
    Community Member
    Options

I'm a long-time PasswordWallet user and recently decided to try out 1PW at my son's urging. I saved a .txt copy of my PW database and then opened it in Excel in order to convert it from tab delineated format to CSV. I opened 1PW v.4.1.1 and tried to import the saved Excel file in its default CSV format. Nothing. I then tried re-saving the Excel file in MS-DOS csv format. Still no joy. Finally, I saved it in Windows csv format, and all of my records imported into 1PW without a hitch. Hope this helps somebody who's having an issue importing a PW database.

This discussion has been closed.