Will 1P support TOR?

Options
austex78704
austex78704
Community Member
edited November 2013 in Mac

I've had to use it for business reasons and would really love to have 1P support there.

Comments

• Hey @austex78704, as said by @Megan in another discussion:

The version 4 extensions will not work on Tor because it uses a version of Firefox that is just too old.

• froderick
    froderick
    Community Member
    Options

Tor recently came out with version 3.5 of TorBrowserBundle (TBB). Previous versions were based on Firefox 17 ESR, which the 1P version 4 extension does not support. This new TBB version is based on Firefox 24 ESR, and version 4.0.1 of the 1Password extension works... almost. The nice part is that since the 1P extension appears to no longer rely on the helper app, no more kludgy hardlinks are needed between TBB and the default Firefox profile; you just install the 1P 4 extension in TBB and you're done.

The less-nice part is that currently, TBB isn't signed with a key recognized by Gatekeeper, so trying to autofill leads to the error dialog shown here (at least with the Mac App Store version of 1P which is what I have). I tried with TBB installed in ~/Applications and /Applications, but no dice.

I suspect until TBB plays nice with Gatekeeper, we'll be cutting and pasting rather than autofilling.

(Note that the Tor devs are discussing getting an Apple-blessed key so this may end up getting fixed if they go ahead with it).

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi all,

I'm glad to hear that Tor has updated their browser to work from Firefox 24! To make your browsing experience a bit smoother with Tor, @froderick, please go to Preferences > Advanced and uncheck 'Verify browser code signature'. It's a shiny new option to make life easier for users who prefer browsers like Chromium and Tor.

Please let me know how this works for you :)

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Using Firefox ESR v24.5.0 in latest TorBrowserBundle (TBB).

Installed stable Firefox 1P extension -> no luck.
    Installed beta Firefox 1P extension -> no luck.

In both cases ran into the problem, that helper app is not found (despite being installed), see screenshot (hm forum says I do not have permission to upload a file). http://cl.ly/image/2j0S2P291d3o

So should this be working with the latest TBB Firefox 24.5.0 or not? Would be great to get this solved.

I'm familiar with disabling Gatekeeper (same requirement exists for 1P / Chromium usage).

I also read http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/21776/1p-4-extension-works-with-latest-torbrowser-almost but I'm unsure how things should be working.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LosInvalidos,

I'm sorry to hear that you're not having much luck installing the Firefox extension in the TOR browser. Now, because we don't officially support TOR browser, I may only be of limited help to you here, but I'll do what I can to get you up and running again.

Now, if you take a look at the 'what might be causing the problem' link, you'll see a support article discussing how 1Password communicates with the browser extension. Please ensure that the browser isn't blocking communication between 1Password and the extension.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you're still unable to get the extension behaving properly and we'll investigate further!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LosInvalidos,

From @latteine's post about using Tor/Firefox usage a couple months ago:

my solution was for a regular Firefox configured to work with Tor as its proxy. I never acually was able to make Tor Browser work with the extension. They introduce a lot of stuff that breaks scripting and cross-app requests (and for a good reason).

So it's basically easier (and maybe safer) to just copy-paste passwords into Tor Browser if you have to use it.

I'm not sure that's helpful but wanted to mention it in this discussion.

• stamatgeorge
    stamatgeorge
    Community Member
    Options

Can you begin support of 1P 4 for Tor Browser Bundle please ?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate this is not an answer to your question but, just in case you haven't already seen it (sorry if you have!), there's a thread here with some suggestions for use in the meantime.

Stephen

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

As for the "what might be causing the problem" link: I'm using none of the following:
    Webroot SecureAnywhere
    AVG Anti-Virus LinkScanner Surf-Shield
    ESET NOD32 Antivirus
    Sophos Endpoint Security and Control
    Kaspersky antivirus

@sjk: Sounds like my experience. I just though it might be a specific NoScript setting. But even if I disable NoScript completely, 1P helper app will not work.

So let's summarizy: 1Password and TorBrowserBundle do currently not work together. If anybody finds a way, please post and share with us :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LosInvalidos‌

I'm sorry that Tor doesn't seem to be working with 1Password for the moment. If we hear anything different, we'll be sure to let you know!

• MikeT
    edited June 2014
    Options

@stamatgeorge‌, I've merged your thread into this bigger Tor thread.

At the moment, we do not support the Tor browser yet but anything is possible in the future. I'll add your vote to our tracker that has everybody's votes here as well.

• Gary Green
    Gary Green
    Community Member
    Options

I would also like to see support for the Tor browser. It is an important business tool and not always used for Dark purposes, believe it or not.

• Jasper
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, Gary! I will add your vote for this. :)

• galmeida
    galmeida
    Community Member
    Options

+1, here

• Jasper
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks! I've added your vote. :)

ref: OPM-1960

This discussion has been closed.