1Password 3 to 1Password 4

Options
Indiana Raph
Indiana Raph
Community Member

Hey guys,

I read that you can't import your data from 1Password 3 iOS to 1Password 4 on a Mac... I wished I had looked this up before purchasing 1Password 4 for Mac but alas.
Seeing as I just bought a Mac I never owned 1Password 3 for Mac which would have presumably avoided this seemingly simple problem.

If I were to buy 1Password 4 iOS as well sigh. Can I import my data from 1Password 3 iOS?

Don't get me wrong 1password is a great app but you'd think a password database manager would have figured out a way to import its own database from its own app before discontinuing it...

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Indiana,

I do apologize for the trouble here! You have several options for importing your data from 1Password 3 for iOS.

• Use Wi-Fi Sync with 1Password 3 for Mac. (You can download a 30 day trial of the legacy versions of 1Password 3), and then save the data to Dropbox so it can be easily read by 1Password 4 for Mac.
    • 1Password 3 for iOS will import directly into 1Password 4 for iOS, should you choose to purchase it (and it's currently on sale!)

Please let me know if you'd like some more detailed steps on the process here, I do apologize for the inconvenience!

• TerryP
    TerryP
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

1Password 3 for iOS will import directly into 1Password 4 for iOS

Unfortunately that does not work with 1PW 3.7.2 and 1PW 4.5 on iOS.

• Indiana Raph
    Indiana Raph
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan, your first option is a reasonable solution.
    I may end up buying the new ios version anyways. I was more frustrated (in the moment) than anything else ;)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @TerryP,

I'm so sorry to hear you've been having trouble with import. We've created a video for the iPhone app and the iPad app to demonstrate the process. Where are you running into trouble?

• TerryP
    TerryP
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

after installing 1PW4, there is no dialog "You have the new 1Password App installed..." when i switch to 1PW3.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TerryP,

Unfortunately, that message is a one-time pop-up, so if you've previously (inadvertently) dismissed the notification, you won't see it again.

As I mentioned above, you can use Wi-Fi Sync and a legacy version of 1Password 3 to move your data onto your Mac, then use Dropbox so that 1Password 4 for iOS can access it.

Here's option 2:

• Backup your 1Password data in 1Password 3 for iOS: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html
    • Delete 1Password 3 for iOS.
    • Go to the App Store > Updates > Purchases and reinstall 1Password 3 for iOS.
    • Follow the backup and restore instructions above to restore your data into 1Password 3 for iOS.
    • Now you should be able to follow the video to import your data directly into 1Password 4 for iOS.

I hope this gets you all sorted out - please let me know how it works!

• TerryP
    TerryP
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

i will follow your suggestion (option 2) next weekend. I will let you know how it works. Thank you for your support.

• Jasper
    Options

On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. Please let us know how it goes! :)

• servane
    servane
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I just purchased 1password4 for iOS, and the import doesn't work from 1P 3.6.5 version.
    I follow the instructions like in the video below, but when I click on the "import into new 1 password" button in the 3.6.5 version,
    nothing happens after as shawn in the video. I tried it several times, but it never asked me to enter my master password and choose
    the new app. I dont't know what to do to import my old database.
    thanks for your help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @servane,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting your data imported into 1Password 4 for iOS. Please see my post above which describes your options on what to do next. If you hit any snags during the process, of course we'd be happy to help!

• OneBit
    OneBit
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hello guys,

I have the same version 3.6.5 , and I cannot import its data to 1Password 4.3.2
    I tried what Megan said, but nothing is happened.
    I tried to update the app to 3.7.2 from App Store > Updates > Purchases, but I got this message:
    http://i.imgur.com/5E3G7EY.png
    I think the problem is on version 3.6.5, so is there another way to update my app to 3.7.2 ?

If there is no way to update the app. I got a " .1ptbackup " file by using the Wi-Fi sync feature, so can I import that file to 1Password 4 by using the "File Sharing" feature ? Do I just add the file and that's it ? Or 1Password 4 does not support " .1ptbackup " files ?

I don't prefer to use cloud services like Dropbox or iCloud, since I cannot guarantee they won't be hacked by someone.

Thanks

• OneBit
    OneBit
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hello guys,
    I just contacted agilebits support team, and Greig solved my problem.

As I thought the problem is on version 3.6.5, so first you have to update the app to 3.7.2.

Go to App Store > Updates > Purchased and search for 1Password there and tap the "Update" button to install the 3.7.2 update.

If you got this message:" The item you tried to buy is no longer available. " http://i.imgur.com/5E3G7EY.png

Then follow Greig's instructions :

• Open 1Password 3 for iOS, do a backup of the data to your computer. This will create a .1ptbackup file, which can only be restored to 1Password 3 for iOS.
      http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html

• Go to App Store > Purchased (on iPhone go to App Store > Updates > Purchased) and search for 1Password there. Make sure it appears in your purchase history. If it does not, stop here and ask for help. (email: support+ios@agilebits.com or http://www.manula.com/manuals/agilebits/1password-4-for-ios/4/en/topic/need-help )

• If 1Password 3 does show in your purchase history, close the App Store, then delete 1Password 3 for iOS from the device. Now Reopen the App Store and go back to the purchase history.

• 1Password 3 should be visible with a cloud icon next to it. Tap the cloud icon to re-download.

• Open 1Password 3 for iOS, and set up the same passcode and Master Password as you had before.

• If you get prompted to import, tap that you will do it later, but do not tap that you never want to see the prompt again.
      Restore the .1ptbackup file according to the restore instructions in the link:
      http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html.

After that download the last version of 1Password 4, and then open 1Password 4 and choose "I've used 1Password before" > "Import from old version" and the rest is simple:)

Thank you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OneBit‌

Thanks so much for posting your troubleshooting steps here! I'm so glad to hear that Greig was able to get you all sorted out. If you have any further questions or concerns, we're here for you ... both in the forums and at support@agilebits.com. :)

This discussion has been closed.