Updating passwords is still frustrating

Options
sriggins
sriggins
Community Member

As much as I love 1Password, updating passwords remains a challenge in patience and frustration.

For example, I just went to arstechnica and it would not log in at all. Ok fine, so I copy the password and username and log in manually.

I got to the settings page, where it has new password, confirm new password, and old password below that.

I use 1Password mini to generate a new password and fill. It fills all three slots, including current password.

I then use 1Password mini to select the arstechnica login to fill the current password, and it replaces the New/Confirm fields. Sigh.

So I generate a new password, but instead of using fill, I use the popup menu to copy (You have now lost 98% of normal users at this point) I paste into the new/confirm fields. I use 1Password mini to save a new login, because I know 1Password won't update.

I click save. SAFARI asks me if I want to update my iCloud keychain for this password. 1Password says nothing.

I log out and log in, and now 1Password has two logins for Ars. The new one does not have a username (because I was on the change password screen)

Now I edit my username in, and delete the old one.

Now I can log into ars from the login window. Grr.

I realize what you are up against, but something has to get better. I end up doing a lot of 1Password support for family around this issue.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sriggins‌

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts here. I'd like to draw your attention to our support article with our recommended process for updating your site's password. These steps should work for most sites. I agree though that it would be nice if this process could be made easier ... although you're right, it's certainly not simple. Because there is no standard format for a 'password change' page, we do have to do a lot of guessing here. Our developers are committed to making this process as simple as possible, and I'd be happy to pass your thoughts about this, and arstechnica in particular, along to them.

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, sadly "Now, 1Password will prompt to ask you if you want to update your password." never happened

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sriggins,

This is definitely something the developers are working on improving. I'm sorry that it didn't work properly for you here.

• Frankwilliamson
    Frankwilliamson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan. Tried to reset passwords today. Very frustrating, have read lots of help articles (including all the ones mentioned above) with variable
    results. Group Health com has locked me out now after three cycles of resending me temporary passwords and 1PW not following GHC's sign on procedure to their satisfaction. Chase Online works fine. Umpqua Bank works partially. Umpqua has a two page sign on (not two step verification). 1PW takes me to the sign on page and successfully enters the username. Umpqua then has the user click "continue" to a second page where the password is entered. 1PW does not enter the password on the 2nd page but if I enter it manually I get on to the site. Figure I've overlooked something but don't know what. Can you help? Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.