Sorry, but I don't "get" 1Password

Options
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Community Member

I have quite a few existing UserID+Password accounts.
But I'm not understanding how 1Passwords SHOULD be working.

I have the FIreFox extension installed and am able to log onto an account to create a new "Login item"...
but... The only way I can get this new "Login" to work is EDIT and re-type my old password (in open English) into the Password field.

How is 1Password "supposed" to work using it's encryption resources... to hide my old passwords or submit newly encrypted passwords?

Hoping you can enlighten this Lamplighter

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There is a good knowledge base article on the basics which explains quite clearly how 1P4 works. If you already have your login details in 1P4 look at the section Using 1Password to fill web forms, which should help you.

Do post back if you still have problems.

Stephen

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I sort of understood that part of the basic procedure. But...

It looks to me that going through the process of accessing an existing website and creating a "1P4 login" does not create an encrypted password.
    The "web form details" appear to still be in "clear English".
    If so, 1P4 just seems to be doing the same thing as Firefox's Bookmark+Preferences "Remember Me" functions.

How do I get an 1P4-encrypted password installed at the website on my first visit, either for a pre-existing UserID+Password situation, or when first establishing a UserID+Password via 1P4 on my first visit to a new web site ???

I'm suspecting that the Copy function is used in one way or another, but I haven't seen that in the 1P4 Tutorials or User Guide.

Sorry for being so dense about all this

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There's a knowledge base article about 1P4 security here—with lots of links to the gory details. However, in essence, everything in 1P4 is encrypted within the app by a key generated from your master password. In other words, when you open 1P4 with your master password you see everything in clear text (unless you've chosen to conceal passwords). Everything is protected by your master password. Nobody else can access your 1P4 data unless they know your master password.

I'm not sure if I've answered your question as you expect. If this is not clear, or is not the answer, please ask again!

Stephen

This discussion has been closed.