Suggested improvement when new password has to be done for a website.

Options
spenceka
spenceka
Community Member

I am a little worried about the process of changing a password for a website and then having 1Password reset its password to the new one. I am worried about something happening that would cause me to need to use the old password because something didn't work on the website side of things. My suggestion is to automatically save the old password in a new field and title it Old Password with the date it was created. In case of a problem you would still have your old password. In preferences you could have the option to do this or not and also set how many old passwords to save.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Have you discovered the Show Previously Used Passwords option that is displayed when you are in edit mode?

• spenceka
    spenceka
    Community Member
    Options

I do not see Show Previously Used Passwords option in edit mode. Where is it located?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry not to have a Mac hand to make a screen shot, but my recollection is that it is a button to click. Perhaps someone will happen along and creat an illustration.

• spenceka
    spenceka
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I just saw it on a different login. Apparently the login I was looking at had not had the password changed before and yet I thought I had. Where in the documentation does it talk about this? I can't seem to find it. Does it ever clear them out or keep only a certain number of previous passwords?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @spenceka,

When an item does have a show previously used passwords button/section it won't be displayed while in edit mode:

Only in regular details view:

And if an item doesn't have that button/section when expected to, you can search the Passwords category for a Password item with a "misplaced" password that might not have been added to a Login item.

An item's previously used passwords are a permanently retained read-only history. A workaround for removing them is to duplicate the item, remove the original, and keep the duplicated item. We've had requests for editing/removing previous used passwords and I've added your question about that to our tracker, plus a new request to include them in our document since, as you've noticed (thanks!), they are currently omitted there.

ref: OPM-1962, DOCS-204

This discussion has been closed.