Sharing data between users with out using vault

Options
rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member

1password4 on all devices.

My wife just purchased 1password for her devices. Until now, I have keeping her data stored in my 1password. Is there anyway to get her records into her devices without using vaults so she does not have to re-type? I am not clear on how to use vaults so would prefer not to.

Thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51‌

Thanks to you and your wife for supporting 1Password! Multiple Vaults are a wonderful way to share just some of your data with your wife. If you and she have to share certain Logins (Netflix is the big one in our household) but still want to keep your personal Logins separate, you can create a secondary vault and share this vault with your wife.

However, there's no need to use multiple vaults if that's a bit too fancy for your needs. All we need to do is export your wife's data into a .1pif file and import that into her own copy of 1Password. It is important to note that a .1pif file is unencrypted, so once her data has been imported, you'll want to delete that file (and empty your Trash too!)

I can provide you with some more detailed instructions here if you give me a bit more detail on your 1Password ecosystem:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • In particular, does your wife have a separate computer to run 1Password on, or do you share a machine?
    • What are you using to keep things in sync?

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out! :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

All iOS are versions 7.1.2. 1password versions are 4.5.3. Sync between devices is via icloud, but we do not share the sync. She will sync using her account and I sync using my icloud account.

We both sync to computers using iTunes via usb cable. I sync to a Mac with latest version of mavericks with iTunes 11.3. She syncs to a windows 7 PC using iTunes 11.2 (I've not installed that latest iTunes on her pc yet).

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Correction. My itunes is 11.3.1 and my wife's is 11.3.0

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51‌

Thanks so much for confirming that for me. Here's what we'll do:

• Open 1Password on your Mac
    • Select all of her Logins and other assorted entries - you might want to temporarily store these in a folder (use File > New Folder and then drag all her entries into the folder in the sidebar.)
    • Once the entries are organized, select them all and use File > Export > Selected Items
    • Enter your Master Password to continue
    • You'll be presented with a pop-up screen
    • Leave the format on .1pif and select a memorable location (desktop is an easy choice)
    • Once the data is exported, copy it to a USB drive

• Plug the USB drive into your wife's computer and copy the .1pif file to her desktop

• Open 1Password on your wife's PC
    • Set up as a new user
    • Once your wife has her vault ready, select File > Import and choose the .1pif file on her desktop
    • When the data is successfully imported, be sure to delete the .1pif file on both computers, and the USB drive.
    • Set up syncing for your wife.

Please let me know how this works - if you hit any snags along the way, we're here to help!

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks but there is one (significant) problem. She only has the iOS version. She does not have 1password on her computer.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51,

My apologies for misunderstanding! Unfortunately, there is no way to import files onto 1Password 4 for iOS. It just so happens that there is a free 30 day trial for 1Password 4 for Windows on our downloads page. I'd suggest downloading and importing that way. Hopefully, she'll love 1Password 4 for Windows and decide to purchase a license (it just so happens that it's currently on sale!) but if not, you can simply use it to import her data and then remove it from the PC. ;)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. We'll get it done.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51‌

I hope you're all sorted out by now, but we're here if you have any further questions!

Happy Monday. :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. We have not got around to it, but....We decided it would in her best interest to manually enter the data so she could become familiar with the app.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51‌

I think that's a great solution! It's what I often recommend for new users - it should give her a good feel for how things work in 1Password. Our user guides are available here if she wants to read up on the software. :)

This discussion has been closed.