Syncing multiple vaults using Folder Sync [Resolved]

Options
aldavis99
aldavis99
Community Member
edited August 2014 in Mac

I’ve just begun using 1 Password 4 which I downloaded and installed on my iMac running OS X 10.9.4 and then copied to my MacBook Pro which is running the same OS. Two questions:

First should I be able to sync both the Primary Vault as well as Secondary Vaults between the two computers using Folder sync?

The second question requires a somewhat lengthy explanation – remember I’m new at this. After adding several logins in 1 Password 4 on the iMac, and following the Folder synchronization procedure, I copied the new Sync folder to the MacBook Pro and everything seemed to work well; all of the logins I installed on the iMac appeared when running 1 Password 4 on the MacBook Pro.

I then created 3 Secondary Vaults on the iMac and added a number of logins in each. I expected to be able to launch 1 Password 4 on the MacBook Pro and see them, but all that appeared was the Primary Vault, no Secondary Vaults.

I then copied the Sync folder from the iMac and replaced the original Sync folder on the MacBook Pro, but still no Secondary Vaults appeared.

So, I deleted everything on the MacBook Pro (the application, the 1Password 4 folder in the Library, the Sync folder and browser extension), reinstalled 1 Password 4, again used Folder synchronization and launched 1 Password 4; the same Primary Vault appears, but no Secondary Vaults.

So the question is how do I get both Primary and Secondary Vaults to run on the MacBook Pro when using Folder Synchronization?

And, before you start thinking this is really stupid, remember a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing – and I’m a neophyte.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aldavis99‌

Thanks for taking the time to write in! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password right now, and I'll do my best to get this sorted out for you just as soon as possible.

First should I be able to sync both the Primary Vault as well as Secondary Vaults between the two computers using Folder sync?

You can indeed sync multiple vaults using Folder Sync. There are a few things to keep in mind here:

• Sync is unique to each vault, so you'll need to go into Preferences > Sync when viewing each vault and set up sync separately for each vault.
    • Folder Sync is designed to work the same as Dropbox sync, where Dropbox does the heavy lifting to get your data from point A to point B. The difference here is that Folder Sync allows you to select an alternative sync solution.
    • For Folder Sync to work reliably, you do need to select a local folder on your computer - storing the folder on a networked drive is not recommended.

then copied the Sync folder from the iMac and replaced the original Sync folder on the MacBook Pro, but still no Secondary Vaults appeared.

If you are manually copying over the folder created by Folder Sync, you will need to do so for each vault individually.

I hope this helps to clear things up, but if you have any further questions, we're here for you! :)

• aldavis99
    aldavis99
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

You are a jewel! I followed your suggestions and my Primary and Secondary Vaults are appearing on both the iMac and MacBook Pro, and synced to a folder I keep in my Home directory in the Users Folder – works perfectly!

I have one more question. I plan to buy 1 Password 4 for both my iPhone and iPad. I plan to sync those using Wi-Fi – I’m hesitant to use iCloud or Dropbox to sync everything because of potential risk (?) of someone having access to my passwords, even though they’re encrypted in an encrypted folder – do you believe my concerns are unfounded? So my question, will I be able to to use Wi Fi to sync the iPhone and iPad from my iMac, while still using Folder syncing for my MacBook Pro?

Thanks for your help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aldavis99‌ you will be able to do that as the WiFi sync is independent of the Folder Sync. The only problem there is WiFi sync doesn't allow for secondary vaults yet and attachments currently don't sync either - the item does, merely the attachment that doesn't.

While I'm not an employee of AgileBits I don't think I'm speaking out of place if I was to say they feel safe using Dropbox for syncing. It's something many of their representatives have said in the forums. That being said my stance is the same as yours and there are a few of us in the forums waiting for a local sync option that does everything Dropbox allows.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @aldavis99‌

I am so glad you are thinking strongly about the security of your data - thats what we like to see! As @littlebobbytables‌ says, we are very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud, as your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through the following article.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

http://blog.agilebits.com/tag/cryptography_/

If you do decide to remain with Wi-Fi and Folder sync, you're more than welcome to. :) Currently, Wi-Fi sync is limited to the primary vault, but our developers are working on expanding this feature. I can't say much more than that at this time, but I've added a vote for you to the issue in our internal tracker, just so they know you're interested.

I hope this answers your questions, but we're here for you if we can be of any further assistance!

ref: OPI-504

• aldavis99
    aldavis99
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Megan and littlebobbytables.

I've purchased 1 Password for my iPad, but still haven't decided on which method I'll use to sync w/my iMac; I have read through info on Dropbox and the encryption explanation sounds secure and seems quite persuasive.

I have another question. I backup my computer to My Passport using Carbon Copy Cloner. When launching 1 Password 4 and opening w/my master password and clicking on an icon, I'm unable to login to the selected website. I am able to open the login page, but user ID and password are not filled in. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

• aldavis99
    aldavis99
    Community Member
    Options

Pl. disregard my earlier question. I tried a 2nd time and it worked ok; I must have been doing something wrong when I first tried it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aldavis99‌

I'm so glad to hear that you've gotten things behaving properly here! Since the original issue is nicely sorted out now, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.