How do I secure item data?

Options
Zete
Zete
Community Member

I purchased 1Password in 2007 and only used it for a short time. It was less functional than a competitor's program so I decided to go with the other.

Now I'm reevaluating so I installed 1Password yesterday and like the interface. I imported close to four hundred items from an export I did in my other program. (I had to use Excel because they only export in tab delimited and 1Password wants imports in commas delimited.)

My question has to do with the data in the .1password file. I opened it in BBEdit expecting to find everything encoded. However, I could read the name of the website and the title of the website in each item.

I thought this might be a problem with the import data, but it happened with the new record I created for this website, discussions.agilebits.com.

What do I need to do to encrypt all data, including site names and notes?

Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Are you using 1Password 3 or 4? If you are using 1Password 4 you can switch to a newer data format called opvault. It's also called 1Password 4 Cloud Keychain. Here are some technical details:

1Password 4 Cloud Keychain design

And here are some instructions on how to switch to opvault.

The format currently works on 1Password 4 for Mac, iOS and Windows. If you use iCloud for syncing, you always get the opvault format. If you use Dropbox or folder sync you need to manually switch using the above method.

• Zete
    Zete
    Community Member
    Options

Xe997, thanks. I did as you instructed and that showed only encrypted information when I viewed the files. (Well, I didn't do exactly as you instructed: Reading through all of the encryption information was a little beyond my ken. But, it's nice to know that AgileBits is on top of that stuff! ;)

Again, thanks especially for the speedy response.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

You're welcome!

Did you end up using iCloud or Dropbox for syncing? Because I see now that the linked instructions lacks one step if you want to use opvault with Dropbox. The instructions tells you how to put the 1Password.opvault bundle in your Dropbox folder, but since you enabled iCloud syncing to create that bundle, you have to disable iCloud syncing and enable Dropbox syncing in 1Password's preferences.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Zete,

I'm glad to hear that @Xe997's suggestions helped you out. I just wanted to confirm a few details here. The .1pif export file is indeed unencrypted. This format is available to ensure that you can have plain-text access to your database should you wish. We recommend that you are very careful with this file when you create it, and be sure to delete it securely when you no longer need it (for example, after you have successfully imported the data back into 1Password).

The link that @Xe997 sent you explains how your data is encrypted in 1Password 4. But the short answer is this: your data will always be stored in encrypted form within the program. We unencrypt it only as you need it (whether you are viewing an entry or requesting an exported file).

I hope this helps to explain the situation, but if you have any further questions, we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.