1Password offers to save login after it used it to login

I've just upgraded from Windows 1.0.x to the latest version 4 and I'm having a bit of trouble getting used to some of the changes.

In the old version it used to be possible to pick from your saved logins/password in the browser extension and have those details entered on whatever web page you were currently on. Is this no longer possible?

Here's a real world example of where I would like to be able to do this: my Apple ID. There are multiple Apple sites where I want to use this -- including the Apple Store and icloud.com. Completely different sites, but the same login details for both.

Suppose I want to login to icloud.com. I originally saved the login via the Apple store, so now if I select it from the browser extension it opens a new tab and logs me in to the store.

So I went to the 1password application, edited the login record and added the URL icloud.com.

But if I open icloud.com in my browser, this login still doesn't show up in the extension at the top of the menu to allow me to fill in those details.

I can now use the extension to login if I do this:

• in the extension, go to the Logins menu
  • find my Apple login
  • right-click on it to get the sub menu where it shows the username and password and URLs
  • click icloud.com in the list of saved URLs

1password then opens a new tab for icloud.com and logs me in. But here's the thing: 1password then asks me if I want to save this login. Even though it just used a set of saved credentials to log me in (this doesn't seem to happen every time; I think it might be if I already had icloud.com open in the current tab when running the above steps).

If I choose yes, then 1password creates a duplicate record (even if I give it the exact same name as the existing record).

I guess this is a bit of an edge case -- the whole point of 1password being to use different passwords on different sites after all -- but in this case I really do want to use the same login details with multiple sites/URLs, because it is the same login. I don't really want to have duplicate records.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there some other way I should set it up to get this to work properly?

Comments

• Hi @MattA,

In the old version it used to be possible to pick from your saved logins/password in the browser extension and have those details entered on whatever web page you were currently on. Is this no longer possible?

It is still possible, we wouldn’t remove one of the most important features in 1Password.

I guess this is a bit of an edge case -- the whole point of 1password being to use different passwords on different sites after all -- but in this case I really do want to use the same login details with multiple sites/URLs, because it is the same login. I don't really want to have duplicate records.

No, that definitely should be possible. In fact, that’s one of the reason we’ve added the expanded multiple URLs support in 1Password 4, so that you can add multiple URLs to the same Login in order to prevent creating new Login items.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there some other way I should set it up to get this to work properly?

It certainly doesn’t sound like you're doing anything wrong. Can you open the main 1Password program, unlock, and press the Preferences button. Go to the Logins section, check the Lenient URL matching and press OK.

Now, try again, does 1Password show your AppleID item on top of iCloud.com now?

• MattA
    MattA
    Community Member

Can you open the main 1Password program, unlock, and press the Preferences button. Go to the Logins section, check the Lenient URL matching and press OK.

Now, try again, does 1Password show your AppleID item on top of iCloud.com now?

Yes it does. Awesome. Thanks...

• MikeT
    edited August 2014

Hi @MattA,

Great, thanks for checking that for me. Even though it works, it explains why it didn't work and it is likely a bug. Despite the Lenient URL matching feature, it should've directly fill in on both domains as long as the Login item has both domains in it and no other Login item exist.

I'll file a bug report to have this fixed.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.