Password generator character set

Options
askewchan
askewchan
Community Member

What is the full character set from which the password generator samples? From what I can gather, it is the following 91 characters:

!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789;=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~

That is, the 10 digits, the 52 lower- and upper-case letters, and !"#$%&\'()*+,-./;=>?@[]^_`{|}~

Which is missing <, :, \ and space from the full ascii set. Were those characters deliberately excluded?

Also, is there a way to modify it? Some websites have certain restrictions on characters, and it would be nice to be able to exclude certain characters, or provide a limited set, just for one password.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Spaces can be included with the "Pronounceable" option, but they are not otherwise included. I believe the other characters you mention caused enough trouble on some sites that were poorly coded that they were excluded — the opening of an HTML tag < and JavaScript escape character \, for example.

At this time, to omit specific symbols, you would need to either generate a new password, manually edit the password to remove the symbols which the site doesn't allow, or simply move the Symbols slider all the way down to zero. Keep in mind that even "just" 23 randomly generated alphanumerics (with no symbols whatsoever) is already an uncrackable 128 bits.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

This discussion has been closed.