Logging into bank sites

Options
1NoahTN
1NoahTN
Community Member

I am a new user of 1 PassWord software that I purchased from the Apple Store. My computer is an iMac, OS version 10.7.4, Safari version 7.0.5 and 1PW version 4.4.1. I am in the process of loading my login information on multiple sites into 1PW. Single page login's work great - no problems. I cannot get any multiple page logins to work on any financial type web site regardless of what I try. I have tried to follow the instructions in the 1 PW Guide but nothing seems to work. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1NoahTN,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting some of your Logins stored in 1Password. Have you read our article here: Creating a multi-page Login item? We also have a popular thread here in the forums that can help you through the process of creating a multi-page Login for Bank of America: 1Password and Bank of America. These steps also work for many other multi-page Logins that you may come across.

If both of these articles fail to help, could you please send along a few of the URLs that you are having trouble with? We'd love to do some testing here to see if we can help. :)

• 1NoahTN
    1NoahTN
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan. One of the sites I was having trouble with was BOA. I went to your link from above and followed your instructions in your reply of 21 Nov 2013. They worked like a charm! Now I will apply to the others sites.
    Thanks again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1NoahTN‌

Thanks so much for letting me know those links helped! I hope your other sites work with these tips as well, but if not, you know where to find us. :)

• 1NoahTN
    1NoahTN
    Community Member
    Options

Not out of the woods yet. Another problem - Chase bank log in. This is a one page login with ID and PW on same page. When I log in manually, everything works - the page "chaseonline.chase.com" opens up and I have access. The log in information was saved to 1PW. When I use 1PW to log in I am directed to page "mfasa.chase.com" and nothing opens up. Any ideas?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1NoahTN,

Our developers are currently investigating an issue with Chase bank. Could you let me know if disabling the auto-submit function works? Just edit the entry in the main app (or the Mini) and change the 'Submit' option to 'Never submit'. The Login should fill correctly, and you can then manually click the log in button.

• 1NoahTN
    1NoahTN
    Community Member
    Options

I disabled auto-submit. I do not have the option to change the "Submit" to "Never Submit". The log in process stopped after 1PW entered the ID and PW. I clicked the 'log in" button on the website and everything worked satisfactorily. I was logged into the secure pages ok. Hope this helps.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1NoahTN‌

I'm glad to hear that disabling auto-submit helped! I hope it's a passable workaround while our developers work to help 1Password behave better with Chase bank's log in page.

I do not have the option to change the "Submit" to "Never Submit".

This option is hidden towards the bottom of each entry - you'll need to view the entry in 'Edit' mode to see your choices.

If you would like to leave submit enabled for the rest of your sites, you can change the submit options for just this entry using this option. :)

• 1NoahTN
    1NoahTN
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan. I am starting to understand the software better. A couple of sites are still not completely solved yet. One is Vanguard, but I am still working with it.
    Thanks again.

• Jasper
    edited August 2014
    Options

On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. :)

You should be able to get Vanguard working too, please give this a try:

• Manually save a new login on the first page.
    • Using the main app, edit the Login item and add your password.
    • You should then be able to fill the username on the first page, and the password on the second.
  • 1NoahTN
    1NoahTN
    Community Member
    Options

Hi JasperP. I have the Vanguard login working up to a point. Everything stops short of entering the password on the second sign in page. When I copy the password in and hit the sign in button, the sign in continues. That is where I left it last night. When I tried to follow your instructions this morning I seem to have lost the ability to use the manual save from the mini password key on the toolbar of Safari. The window opens but I cannot make any changes. Any suggestions?

• Homer
    Homer
    Community Member
    Options

I too have both Chase (works fine for me with 1Password doing all the work) and Vanguard. For Vanguard, I let 1Password get me through the User ID step and then I have 1Password set up so that although it has the password, it never submits it. I just do a copy/paste of the password from the 1Password drop down. At first I found it a bit cumbersome, but as every bank /financial site I log into uses this "two page" login, it became second nature after a few days. Also, the more I think about it, the more I'd hate to come up with a work around that specifically bypassed the security this process provides.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1NoahTN‌

I'm sorry that Vanguard is giving you trouble. You mention that 1Password stops short of entering the password on the second page. Are you using ⌘\ (Command-) to prompt 1Password to fill here? Unfortunately, because we're dealing with a two-page log in process here, 1Password can't fill the whole thing automatically. So your workflow should look a little like this:

• Open 1Password Mini and select your Vanguard Login
    • 1Password will open the Vanguard page and fill your username
    • Press Enter to submit if necessary
    • When the password page appears, use ⌘\ (Command-) to fill your password
    • Press Enter to submit if necessary

Does this help?

I seem to have lost the ability to use the manual save from the mini password key on the toolbar of Safari. The window opens but I cannot make any changes. Any suggestions?

Please try restarting 1Password and the Mini by using ⌘⌃Q (Command-Control-Q). Does this get that save dialogue behaving properly?

Hi @Homer,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here! I'm so glad that you've found a workflow in 1Password that works for you. :)

• 1NoahTN
    1NoahTN
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks everyone. Megan, your last comments helped as usual. 1PW is working great. It has been a learning process. Everyone's response has been helpful and I appreciate all your help. This program truly is great.
    Thanks again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1NoahTN‌

I'm so glad to hear that things are working for you! All new software is a bit of a learning process, but I hope 1Password makes things easier for you the longer you use it.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask - we're here for you!

• JimImWa
    JimImWa
    Community Member
    Options

I too am having trouble with BOA. I've read everything I can find several times. But I might be overlooking something when I use the link "1Password and Bank of America" in your 12 August 2014 post above. I follow it to where it discusses the BOA cookie, but then the post says something like "this post is closed". Is there something that I should do after finding the BOA cookie in Preferences?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@JimimWa I don't believe so. From my reading of that thread the only point of the "cookie issue" was to ensure that BOA was actually saving a cookie in your browser (because otherwise, apparently, there were some problems with the login).

Thus, I deduce, if you are finding a BOA cookie saved in your browser and you're still having problems logging in with 1P4 using that browser it's not a cookie problem and you probably have some other problem with the BOA login.

Don't despair, someone will be along to help!

Stephen

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. @Stephen_C‌ is correct, @JimImWa‌. I would ignore the stuff about cookies. The only reason that was mentioned was because one user reported seeing SafePass every time they logged in. That's the thing that you would see when signing in from a computer you have never signed in from before. Bank of America wants to make sure you're you.

I would ignore that part for now and just focus on the specific issue you're having. Could you tell me what happens when you follow Megan's steps in her post #15 in that other thread? Perhaps with some more details of the problem you are having we can provide more specific assistance.

Thanks!

• JimImWa
    JimImWa
    Community Member
    Options

khad, thanks for getting back to me. I have about 30 and my wife has about 40 single page logins that have been working fine on our PC, Mac, iPhones, and iPads. We love 1Password. So when I read your message for more detailed information I tried some additional combinations of "submit", "never submit" and a MIRACLE happened. I thought I had tried all the combinations but apparently not. Anyway I'm happy now with (1) click on BOA 1 from quick menu, this loads BOA username form in Safari and takes me to site key question, (2) I manually say "yes" and press enter, this takes me to passcode form, (3) click on BOA 2 from quick menu which loads my passcode, (4) then I manually press submit and I'm in!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimImWa‌

On behalf of @khad, thanks for letting us know that you're all sorted out! I'm so glad that his explanation helped.

If you have any further questions or concerns, we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.