Bought 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iPhone (3.7.2) and now sync not working

Options
darin2p
darin2p
Community Member
edited August 2014 in Mac

How might i sync 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password for iPhone (3.7.2) both I paid for and do not what to buy 4.0 for iOS for 9.99. thanks

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @darin2p‌

Well, I'm a bit biased here, obviously, but I would strongly recommend that you consider upgrading to 1Password 4 for iOS for several reasons:

• There have been a lot of great new features added, including many of the features you're already enjoying on 1Password 4 for Mac
    • It's currently on sale ;)
    • We've got a great iOS 8 upgrade coming soon, and it will be a free upgrade for 1Password 4 for iOS users - take a look at our new App Extension!

Of course, if you'd like to continue using 1Password 3 for iOS, we can still make that work. To keep 1Password 4 for Mac in sync with 1Password 3 for iOS, you'll need to use 1Password 3 for Mac as an intermediary and use version 3's Wi-Fi sync.

Here's what we'll do:

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• ScooterNash
    ScooterNash
    Community Member
    Options

Let me make sure I'm reading this right. I too am using the 3.7.2 on one of my devices (it's old, so upgrading is not an option -- actually, I already have updated my other devices, but this old, but perfectly serviceable, iPad simply will not run it.) I'm 51 weeks out of date and would like to update my data. Are you saying I have to buy an old copy of 1password 3 for the mac to get the sync to work? Will 3 even still run? If not, what is the simplest and easiest way to get it up to date? If it DOES run on Mavericks, will it run on the next update, which is coming soon.

Note: I use this iPad primarily as a Kindle and audiobook player, so it's not vital it's up to the second, but I don't want it to lag so far behind it's useless. Does agile intend to keep any kind of backward compatibility going in the future?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ScooterNash‌

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here. Yes, 1Password 3 still works fine on Mavericks (particularly if you are using it solely as a transfer mechanism to sync your 1Password data to your older iOS device!) I was planning to create a free license for 1Password 3 for Mac for you, since it wouldn't be fair to ask you to purchase a license simply to keep things synced up between your mobile devices. However, I did a search in our back office records using the email address attached to your forum account, and I notice that you already have a license for 1Password 3 for Mac. I've re-sent your license details to you, should you require them again. This should allow you to follow the steps above to get all your data synced up!

Does agile intend to keep any kind of backward compatibility going in the future?

We do our best to remain compatible with previous versions and previous operating systems. Unfortunately, technology does change at a rapid pace these days, and in order to take advantage of the new tools available in newer operating systems, sometimes it is necessary to remove support for older OS's that cannot support the new features.

I'm sorry that I don't have a perfect answer for you here, but I hope this helps! We're here if you have any further questions or concerns.

• darin2p
    darin2p
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan

on sale where? price? code needed?

darin

• Jasper
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @darin2p,

All versions of 1Password are on sale right now. You can get 1Password for Mac or Windows for just $34.99 (or both for $48.99!) and get 1Password for iOS for just $9.99.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• darin2p
    darin2p
    Community Member
    Options

AgileBits

For whatever it is worth I want to provide some feedback from me user perspective. Whenever I buy a piece of software that is designed to be a solution for a need that I'm looking to solve, I do not expect to need to buy multiple components to actually make the solution work. When upgrading it is important to let the user know that by upgrading that certain features of other components that have been purchased will no longer function. I would not have upgraded but feel that by upgrading I would not lose functionality for something else that I had already been purchased. It leaves the user (your customer) feeling as if you are not valuing the customers loyalty. you have a great product and you don't need to nickel and dime your customers. Package it altogether into one price and continue to provide great support and products.

Darin

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Darin ( @darin2p ),

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this feedback! I'm so sorry to hear that you've been frustrated by the upgrade experience. We certainly don't want to make you feel like you were forced into an upgrade here. Unfortunately, the issue you are ran into with sync is the result of a change that Dropbox made to their API. Please understand that we did our best to inform users of the change to Dropbox's API and how it would affect users on 1Password 3 for iOS. There were posts on our blog and prompts within the app to encourage users to upgrade.

Your thoughts on this matter are much appreciated. Please do let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!

This discussion has been closed.