Shared vaults - read only

Options
tedmitchell
tedmitchell
Community Member

I want to create a vault, and share it, but I do not want the people using the vault to be able to make changes to the information.

Is it possible to create a shared vault to which only the creator can make changes? If so, how is it done?

Thanks,

Ted

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Ted ( @tedmitchell‌ )

Thanks for taking the time to write in! At this time, it is not possible to create read-only vaults. When you share a vault, all users have the ability to edit items. You're not the first person to suggest such a feature though, so I'll add a vote for you to the existing issue in our internal tracker.

ref: FR-43

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

From my understanding of how shared vaults work that isn't possible. Although not ideal, if you have a business account with Dropbox you could set the shared vault folder to view only for those you wish to share it with. At least that way changes wouldn't be pushed back to your vault. Of course there isn't anything stopping somebody from editing their copy of the vault.

It's tricky, any login items in the vault probably represent total control over that site/account so even if your vault is read only they likely have total ownership control over editing any of the account's details, including the password. At that point I'm not sure if it matters whether a secondary vault is read-only or not.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

… so even if your vault is read only they likely have total ownership control over editing any of the account's details, including the password. At that point I'm not sure if it matters whether a secondary vault is read-only or not.

Astute observation, @littlebobbytables. :)

This discussion has been closed.