How does the browser extension choose which login when invoked via the keyboard shortcut?

Options
itn
itn
Community Member

On several of the sites I need to visit for which I have multiple logins in 1Password, the browser extension seems to pick a specific login to fill when I use the cmd+\ keyboard shortcut. This only happens for some sites, and not all of my sites.

Example: For Amazon.com I have one login (login A). Then I create a second login (login B). When visiting the site and using the keyboard shortcut, it should bring up the 1Password browser extension list of logins so I can choose which one I want to log in to, but instead it just fills login A automatically.

If I delete login A, it automatically fills login B as expected.

But if I re-create login A, and then create a third login (login C), so there are now three logins, it still fills login A automatically.

Then delete login A again, it correctly displays the list of logins B and C because there are multiple logins.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Do all three have the exact same URL in their entries? If they do I believe the browser extension should offer up all three as a choice rather than selecting one.

• itn
    itn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much!! Looks like that was the issue, they weren't the same exact URLs. I'd originally assumed that if they showed up in the list at all then it should let me choose between them.

My example of Amazon didn't bother me too much because I usually always sign in to the same account anyway, but it was my 5 Microsoft accounts that bugged me enough to come here and post this. I literally have 7 different URLs with different domain names for each of my 5 accounts, so after standardizing them across each account, it now gives me the choice of which login to use when on any of those sites.

Thanks again!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The URL section can be quite powerful, allowing you to link a single ID and password to multiple sites e.g. Google credentials that work for gmail and YouTube (I don't myself but I believe this is the case). Of course anything that is flexible or powerful has the potential to go awry with even just small 'errors'.

When I first started I used to put just the domain in e.g. www.amazon.com but soon realised it was more useful to put the exact login address and sometimes it's vital depending on the site in question where the main login page is actually rubbish and a secondary page works much better (usually banks from what I've seen here).

Anyway, glad I could help :)

• itn
    itn
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, definitely. All good tips. Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @itn,

I'm so glad to hear that @littlebobbytables‌ was able to get things sorted out for you! Since this issue is nicely sorted out now, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.