Sync iOS Client with other Cloud Services

Options
Thalbadar
Thalbadar
Community Member

Hello,

been using 1password about a year now and it is working fine 4 me.

Is it possible to use the iOS Client with another Cloud Service than Dropbox. I do not thrust Dropbox (and iCloud) and would like to run the app with my own cloud on my own server.

Actually a lot of Mac Users work with the Synology Diskstations, they bring an own Cloud Station with them. It´s actually working fine with Keepass and the iphone app where I can open that file from the Diskstation App with the Keepass app. So I go to my Folder in Diskstation App and just choose "open with Keepass App".

Is this possible with 1password? Just thinking about upgrading to a family licence, but I am still not happy with iCloud or Dropbox getting my password files, even when they are encrypted.

With the Mac Client Update it is possible to specify a folder, but what about iOS?

Michael

Sorry for my language and greeting from germany.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Thalbadar‌

Thanks so much for taking the time to write in about 1Password! Unfortunately at this time it is not possible to use cloud sync services beyond Dropbox and iCloud.

This is a common request though, and our developers are looking into alternative sync solutions for users such as yourself. I can't provide much more detail than that at this time, but it is high on our priority list.

I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer for you here, but "Guten Tag" from Toronto, Canada :)

• mb_shaffer
    mb_shaffer
    Community Member
    Options

Please consider my reply to this topic as one additional vote for using a cloud independent of commercial cloud services (... i.e., a cloud created by myself). At first glance, this would seem more secure than a commercial cloud, but I could be wrong. Which is best ... Dropbox which has state-of-the-art security, but is known by everyone ... or my own cloud (e.g., Synology) that is known by no one, but may not be as secure(??)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mb_shaffer‌

I am so glad you are thinking strongly about the security of your data - thats what we like to see! I'm happy to let our developers know that you're interested in independent cloud solutions. We're always looking for more sync solutions to give our users the best options for keeping their data synced. I can't say much more than that right now, but your feedback is always appreciated.

I do just want to clarify one thing. The security of your 1Password data never depends on the security of the cloud system you are syncing with. Your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through the following article.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

http://blog.agilebits.com/tag/cryptography_/

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns! :)

This discussion has been closed.