1Password Won't Fill Login on Ameriprise Site [Known Issue: working on a solution]

GadgetComa
GadgetComa
Community Member
edited August 2014 in iOS

Using the 1Password browser, I am unable to get 1P to fill the username and password fields on the Ameriprise login page (www.ameriprise.com/default-client.asp). It recognizes the URL so the right login is available, but when I select it in 1P, it doesn't fill in. I have to cut and paste. The same login works fine in Safari on my Mac.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Mel Burstein
    Mel Burstein
    Community Member

From what I understand (and I hope others will jump in if I am wrong), the IOS version of 1Password 4 can not do everything the OS X version can do because of limitations Apple places on developers. One of the things it can not do is to completely automate the login process like the OS X product. Cut and paste is exactly what the AgileBits Knowledgebase recommends when using 1P on the iPhone and iPad. Dashlane has the same limitation. I was disappointed when I learned this. But the good news is that Apple may soon give AgileBits the tools to add this missing capability to the IOS product, maybe as early as the next release. At least that is what I have read.

• GadgetComa
    GadgetComa
    Community Member

Thanks, Mel. Is this limitation something that only affects some sites? I am able to get 1Password to fill some (most) sites, just not Ameriprise.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014

Hi @GadgetComa,

It sounds to me like you're attempting to fill within 1Password's built-in browser and not an Ameriprise app, correct?

Mel's statement is correct, if we're talking about a separate Ameriprise app. In iOS 7, Apple does not provide developers with a way to directly interface with other apps. Unless the app has included support for 1Password explicitly, we cannot do anything (like filling) in another app. These sandboxing restrictions also prohibit 1Password from providing browser extensions for mobile browsers. This is why we have 1Browser available within the 1Password app: to allow you to take advantage of 1Password's stored information and filling capabilities.

Currently to log into other apps such as the Facebook native app, you need to copy and paste from the 1Password app. 1Password makes this easy as you can simply tap on the username or password to copy it. 1Password will then clear out the clipboard within a given time period to ensure that your important information does not stay in the clipboard after you no longer have a need for it. You can check out Apps that love 1Password to see which apps have added 1Password integration into their interface.

The awesome news though is that, in iOS 8, Apple is making it a little bit easier for apps to interact with each other in the form of app extensions. You can read more about this in our blog post: Introducing the 1Password App Extension for iOS 8 apps. Developers will still need to add the extension into their apps, so it might be an idea to share this blog post with your bank (and any of your other favourite apps too!) to encourage them to make life easier for 1Password users such as yourself. We're pretty excited about the opportunities available with iOS 8, I hope you are too!

However ... while all that information is awesome, it sounds to me like you're trying to fill from within 1Password, which should work. I created a new entry for the URL you mention using Safari on my Mac using the steps here: Save a New Login Manually. When I did so, 1Password saved 2 websites for the page:

In the iOS app, when I tap the lower URL, the site opens in 1Browser and my (demo) details are correctly filled. Do you have this second URL in your entry?

If not, perhaps try saving a new Login manually using the steps in the link above. I hope that the second URL fills properly for you on your iOS device. In any case, our developers are aware of the issue and we'll do our best to get the main URL filling properly for you as soon as possible!

ref: OPX-362

• GadgetComa
    GadgetComa
    Community Member

Thanks, Megan. You are correct. I am trying to use the 1Password browser. I'm too familiar with sandboxing restrictions. One of the reasons I switched to 1Password from Lastpass is the integration already provided by some apps. You're plans for iOS 8 are another selling point. While, theoretically, Lastpass and others can provide iOS 8 extensions too, only 1Password seems to be moving so fast to this. I can't wait!

In the meantime, I'll check the URLs as you suggest and report back.

Thanks.

• GadgetComa
    GadgetComa
    Community Member

So, I tested it out and can get it to work the way you described. I removed the old entry and saved a new one. It capture the URLs you show above. If I tap the second one, it logs me right in. However, if I navigate to the Ameriprise site in the browser first, then try to fill by tapping the key icon and the login entry, it doesn't fill. This is certainly better, I just have to navigate from the URL in the login entry, but it would be ideal to have the option to navigate via the browser. There are scenarios where it's more convenient. For example, I get an email from Ameriprise, click the link which opens Safari, then click the 1Password bookmarklet to open the 1Password browser.

Anyhow, it's much better now.

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @GadgetComa,

I'm so glad to hear that we've at least made a little progress here. I can see how it's certainly not a perfect solution though, so we'll do what we can to get the main site filling for you again soon.

Thanks for your patience - we're here if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.