Family License use on iMac, iPhone and iPad

Options
cdilios
cdilios
Community Member

I bought the Family License and installed the app on my iMac under my master account profile. Now how do I go about getting the app on my iPhone so I am using the same vault?

Then I would like to get the same set-up for my wife and daughter on the iMac and their respective iPhones.

I am not finding a clear solution on the site and the guides. Thanks for any help here.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

In order to sync between 1P4 for OS X you will need to buy 1P4 for iOS from the iOS app store. It's a universal app so you can install it on any iDevice that uses the same Apple ID. If you look now I think you may find it's on sale. ;)

(The iOS app store doesn't currently support family licences for apps, I'm afraid.)

Edit: see also this post.

Stephen

• cdilios
    cdilios
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply...

So I have an iMac and an iPhone 5S, my daughter has a MacBook Pro and an iPhone 5s, and my wife and son both have the iPhone 5.

Are you saying that the family license version I bought for the iMac wasn't the right purchase to sync my devices for the family? I actually need to puchase iOS software for each device? and then it will all sync up?

Thanks for your help.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Your family license for the Mac application is good for all three of your family members, so you only need that one family license. It's good for up to five members of a family in the same household.

If all of your family members purchase iOS media and applications using the same Apple ID, you will also need to purchase one copy of that, which all of you may use. However, because Apple ties the license to the Apple ID, if you each use a different Apple ID, each of you will need to make a separate purchase of 1Password for iOS.

Once iOS 8 is released, Apple will introduce Family Sharing, which will allow everyone in a family to share media and applications, if all of them use the same credit card, even of they each use different Apple IDs. However, this ability is opt-in for developers, so AgileBits will need to turn on Family Sharing for this to work with 1Password. They have not announced their intentions on this, but I wouldn't be very surprised if they do allow it. (Note that I do not work for AgileBits and have no insider information about this or any other issue about the future of their products.) iOS 8 will be released sometime this Fall.

However you do this, you then will be able to have separate vaults for 1Password and be able to sync among all the Mac and iOS devices you have.

I'm not sure I understand how you plan to use this. You mention two users who only have iPhones. They won't have anywhere to sync their data, unless it is your intention for everyone to share the same database. There is infomration about sharing vaults among users elsewhere on the forum and in the documents for the product.

• Hi @cdilios‌,

I just wanted to chime in as I do work for AgileBits. I can't comment on our plans for iOS 8 Family Sharing at this time (don't read into that one way or the other, we just don't comment on the future very much).

That said, it sounds like you have at least two people using Macs, for the Family license you bought for Mac will work on both of those.

As @Stephen_C‌ and @hawkmoth‌ pointed out, Apps on iOS are tied to the Apple ID in question. Now, my family has been using the App Store since the beginning, and only now is Apple getting around to Family Sharing with iOS 8. So here is how my family has done things to date.

We each have our own Apple ID in Settings > iCloud so we can keep email, calendars, contacts, bookmarks, etc separate. But we have another Apple ID that we all share for purchasing in Settings > iTunes & Apps Stores. This way we all have access to the cumulative music, movie, books, and apps library for our family on iTunes. Family Sharing has a lot of great features, it sounds like, especially for parental controls.

You can find out more information on the upcoming Family Sharing here. And with this week's announcement of an Apple Event on September 9, I expect iOS 8 to be coming very shortly after that event.

This discussion has been closed.