When updating a password to an existing card

Options

As I go through the Weak Password panel to update my passwords to be stronger, I've found that 1Password doesn't always catch on to what I'm doing n the site in question.

I've used other password managers before that--with rare exception--know that I'm updating my existing password with a new one and ask me to confirm.

1Password does this some of the time. Consequently, I'm required to take more steps to ensure the password is not only saved (as I know generated passwords are in their own separate panel), but that they're in the original card. I cannot detect a pattern or some characteristic to know when it will happen, just that it does. When they don't, I have to clean up the mess.

So while I think it's great that 1Password shows a history of password changes (very clever idea, btw!), is there not some way to make the process of updating a password go more smoothly?

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @phoenixrizing‌,

I've found that 1Password doesn't always catch on to what I'm doing n the site in question.

Do you mean when you ask 1Password to generate a new password and then submit the Change Password form on the site?

If that is what you're doing, we're working on improving that process. If you can give us a few examples, we'd love to test it to see what we need to work on.

The difficulity is that some sites do not design the Change Password form like they do with the Login form and that messes with our ability to detect something happened. For an example, they just merely change the interface to reflect it was changed but doesn't submit anything, which to 1Password means nothing happened.

We have to learn about the various methods that each unique site does on the Internet and train the 1Password extension learn to better detect the changes. That's a tall task considering how vast the Internet is and there isn't a single standard for password changes. However, it's a challenge we love to tackle. We don't really need to know about how each site work, we just need to detect patterns or habits that web developers have.

I cannot detect a pattern or some characteristic to know when it will happen, just that it does.

The best thing you can do is record which sites this happened on, we'd love to try creating test accounts and see how the password changes occur. The more tests we have, there's a chance we can detect the patterns and issue an update to work on many sites at once.

Is there not some way to make the process of updating a password go more smoothly?

There always is, 1Password is constantly updated to keep improving and simplifying everything, it's all part of our ability to learn what sites do and how they process changes.

We do have a big idea of how we can actually improve it but it needs a lot of work and time to see if it's worth adding to 1Password.

In your case, what you can do is quickly log out of the site and go to the login page. Click on the 1Password icon, select Last Generated Password to fill in the password while you can enter the username, submit the form and 1Password should detect the change. You may find this article helpful.

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT, thanks for the prompt response!

Yes, it's when I've logged into a site and made it to their Change Password form.

Going forward I'll be sure to take note of what sites this happens on and let you guys know.

Question about the Last Generated Password: I haven't used that yet. Is that taking the actual last password I generated or the one just for that site?

• MikeT
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @phoenixrizing‌,

You're welcome!

Question about the Last Generated Password: I haven't used that yet. Is that taking the actual last password I generated or the one just for that site?

At the moment, the actual last password you generated using our generator.

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member
    Options

I just changed my password on www.redbox.com, but 1Password did not prompt me to decide what it should do. If there's another place in this forum where this should go, please let me know and I'll put it there.

I hope this will help development.

This discussion has been closed.