How to recover a mistakenly deleted item

Chris1234
Chris1234
Community Member
edited October 2010 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Hi,

I've some how mistakenly deleted the Notes field in a Secure Note.

I was updating it with more details of my bank login, password etc. And now, when I went back to it, I find that it's completely blank. So somehow my edit must have selected the whole thing and perhaps an enter overwrote it. However it has happened, and its data is all missing. :-(

1P backs itself up very regularly. So presumably a recent backup has this accidentally deleted info. How do I recover just this one item's secure note info?

And maybe I should observe that once you've clicked Edit for a Note, there seems to be no way to cancel that Edit. So you can only get 1P to accept the changes. It also needs a way to decline any changes you've made and revert to the way it was originally...

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi Chris1234,

I'm sorry that you're having this problem.

Please try this:

1. Backup your data file (File > Backup Data File)
    2. Restore previous backup (obviously not the one you just made) (File > Restore Data File from Backup…)
    3. Select item(s) you wish to recover
    4. Export select item(s) (File > Export Selected > 1Password Interchange File…)
    5. Restore backup you created in the first step (File > Restore Data File from Backup…)
    6. Import the item(s) you just exported two steps prior (File > Import…)
    7. Backup your data file (File > Backup Data File) :-D

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Of course, you can always undo the damage (Edit > Undo Typing) prior to saving the edit.
  • Chris1234
    Chris1234
    Community Member
    Thanks a million, Khad, this Backup then Restore worked. :-)

It was only lots later that I realized the info had gone, so I thought it would be too late for an Undo. But perhaps 1P allows Unlimited Undo's spanning multiple changes to multiple entries, and I just didn't know this. Does it?

fyi, in the Restore 1P wanted me to specify the character encoding in the third(?) step, but I didn't know this so I had to guess. But doesn't 1P know this anyway since it created the 1P interchange file?

I still think a Cancel option after starting a Edit would be a rather useful enhancement, even if 1Password does allow Unlimited Undo's spanning multiple changes to multiple entries. I'm now wondering why the usual Cancel option has been omitted? ...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks a million, Khad, this Backup then Restore worked. :-)

Thanks for letting me know it worked out for you. That's great news! :-)

It was only lots later that I realized the info had gone, so I thought it would be too late for an Undo. But perhaps 1P allows Unlimited Undo's spanning multiple changes to multiple entries, and I just didn't know this. Does it?

1Password does not currently support multi-level undo across multiple-items.

fyi, in the Restore 1P wanted me to specify the character encoding in the third(?) step, but I didn't know this so I had to guess. But doesn't 1P know this anyway since it created the 1P interchange file?

Perhaps I should have mentioned it, but the default character encoding is completely fine. There should have been no need to fiddle with that. :-)

I still think a Cancel option after starting a Edit would be a rather useful enhancement, even if 1Password does allow Unlimited Undo's spanning multiple changes to multiple entries. I'm now wondering why the usual Cancel option has been omitted? ...

The latest beta versions (and thus, the next release will) have Cancel and Save buttons for just this sort of scenario.
This discussion has been closed.