Don't Understand How Backups Work

Options
Homer
Homer
Community Member

First, I'm just wondering if there would be a reason to add the 1Password backups to my normal backup routine and then have that end up as part of my normal backup to Dropbox. How safe are these 1Password backup files?

Second, not sure how the 1Password backup files work (maybe it's just me). If I copy one of the 1Password generated backup files (these are "zip" files) to my desktop, then do a "Find Backup", locate the file, I'm told it's not a valid file. If I try to unzip the file I'm told there is no application to open it.

Confused!

Comments

• Hi @Homer‌,

The backup files are encrypted the same as your active data. They require the Master Password that was in use at the time the backup was taken in order to be used.

To backup the backup files further, I suggest just having your normal backup system copy them. For instance, Time Machine on a Mac will simply grab them as part of the User Library. Services like Backblaze and Crashplan should also do the same.

As for restoring the file, you should be able to simply select the file in the Restore dialog and restore it. If you happen to be on OS X 10.8.x, we do have a bug that is preventing them from being seen at the moment. Updating to the free OS X 10.9.x is a quick way to resolve it right now.

• Homer
    Homer
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. My next question was going to be "so why don't I see any backup files", but seeing how I am on Mountain Lion, you have answered that question.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Homer,

I'm so glad to hear that @chrisdj answered all of your questions ... one of them even before you asked! If you think of anything else, we're here to help. :)

• Homer
    Homer
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,

The more I think about this the more I think I may have an issue if something goes wrong (never happen, right!). Let's just say I have some sort of major malfunction and need to restore my 1Password file from one of the backup files. I can't see it, it doesn't appear in the backup dialog box, the "Find" button won't let you look in the Library folder, and I can't open the backup files manually (maybe I just don't know how).

So, other than upgrading (and based on a lot of reading on the Apple forums, I use that term begrudgingly) to Mavericks, is there a procedure for restoring from a backup under Mountain Lion? I'm also running 1Password on my PC laptop and using Dropbox to sync, so I suppose I could find a workaround that way, but there must be a way to do it within the Mac.

Thanks,
    Henry

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Henry ( @Homer ),

The 1Password 4 backups for the Agile Web Store version are stored in this folder:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups

(~ is your home folder)

To restore one under Mountain Lion you can temporarily install and use version 4.4, which can be downloaded from here:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM4

Then update to 4.4.1 again.

The bug that @chrisdj mentioned is fixed in 4.4.2 beta. If you'd like to use that version, simply enable betas by:

• selecting 1Password 4 > Preferences… from the main application menu
    • selecting the Updates tab
    • enabling the Include beta builds option
    • pressing Check Now

I hope that helps. :)

• Homer
    Homer
    Community Member
    Options

Sure does. I think I'll go with the 4.4.2 beta solution as that seems to address the issue in the simplest way. Thank you.

• Hi @Homer,

Glad to hear @sjk found a solution for you! I can't believe I didn't think about the beta solution. :p

This discussion has been closed.