Tale of two Vaults

Options
wjrkar
wjrkar
Community Member

I was using 1Password3 on my Snow Leopard MacBook Pro (2006) very successfully using DropBox sync. Sometime after I loaded the lated 1Password for IOS it prompted me at one point to ask if I wanted to sync to iCloud. Unfortunately, I replied ok. I didn't realize it at the time but I now had two sync locations - iCloud for changes on my iPhone and DropBox for changes on my MacBook Pro. Didn't worry about it too much at the time...

Enter.. 1Password 4.... When I started it up it loaded my DropBox vault. I thought that if I changed over to sync to iCloud that it would see the keychain there and ask me to merge in the data there.... but it didn't. Instead I just received a cryptic "Problem detected - update preferences" with a "Fix" button that takes me back to the Sync preferences.

I know I have some data on the Vault in my iPhone that differs from the data on the MacBook Pro (and the iMac where I've also upgraded to 1Password 4). Can you help me fix that?

Comments

• Hi @wjrkar‌,

It may be easiest to just switch the iMac and iPhone to using Dropbox sync entirely, so your MacBook Pro can stay up to date, too.

Try this:

• On your iPhone, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and tap 'Disable Sync’.

• On the iMac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the iMac and iPhone.

• On the iMac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select the 1Password.agilekeychain file, and then click Open.

• Click Merge.
    • Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and tap Settings > Sync > Start Syncing > Sync with Dropbox.

• Authenticate when prompted, tap your account name, then tap the 1Password.agilekeychain file.
    • You will get a merge warning. Tap More Info, and the percentage of similarity should be more than 90%. If so, tap Merge anyway. If not, let me know.

Let me know if that works for you!

• wjrkar
    wjrkar
    Community Member
    Options

Well, it didn't work quite right, yet. I'm probably missing something, here. Anyway, here is what happens.

The iMac is using Dropbox to sync. The iPhone is using iCloud to sync. If I disable sync on the iPhone it leaves the data in iCloud unchanged. If I try to change the sync on the iMac to use iCloud it says it will create a copy of my vault in iCloud. If I select 'Start Syncing' I get the 'Problem Detected' notification and nothing happens.

I'm thinking the copy that is already in iCloud is the problem.

Should I disable sync on all my devices (2 computers - one on 1Password 3 and one on 1Password 4, and my iPhone) then create a new Dropbox sync location for the iPhone and sync, then set up Dropbox sync on the 2 computers and select that same vault data and allow it to Merge with the contents there?

There are changes on the iPhone in its vault that match entries on the computers vaults and I don't want to lose any of the latest changes to any specific entry that exists in both. For example, I have a Best Buy login entry on my iPhone which has the latest password in it, but the same login entry on the computers has the old password.

Will my idea to get these all merged work?

Finally, how do I get rid of the iCloud vault data? It seems like the only program that allows a delete of the data is the 1Password on the computer. The one on the iPhone doesn't have a delete data option.

Thanks.

• chrisdj
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @wjrkar‌,

If you look over my instructions again, you'll note that I do recommend to disable iCloud sync on the iPhone. We want to switch that over to using Dropbox, and then merge the data when prompted. For the best buy item, the latest timestamp for a change will be kept. This would be the change on iOS.

So, run though the instructions again, disabling sync on iPhone, making sure the iMac is set up with the Dropbox file that the MacBook is using, and then set up the iPhone with Dropbox and use the merge dialog.

Once all that is done, to remove the iCloud copy of data, you can do that manually from the Mac (it removes it from iPhone too).

• Open System Preferences.
    • Click iCloud.
    • Click Manage next to the storage meter.
    • Click on onepassword in the left sidebar.
    • Click Delete All on the right side of the pane.

That will remove the iCloud sync data.

• wjrkar
    wjrkar
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Chris.

I probably should have read your instructions a little better. Everything works fine, now. Both computers and the iPhone are now all syncing with each other properly through Dropbox. And I've deleted the data from iCloud successfully, as well.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Bill

• You're very welcome Bill! (@wjrkar‌)

Glad to hear all is syncing well now. :D

This discussion has been closed.