Edit location field for logins

Options

Is there a way to edit the location field in 1Password 4 to add sub domain? My corporate intranet has multiple sub-domains with multiple logons, and they are each unique. No single sign-on is currently available. When I use one password it will show all of the sub-domains for each website. I want to have a one to one sign on for these sites so they will auto-fill. Example: Domain is corp.com, and example sites are mail.corp.com, tickets.corp.com, intranet.corp.com, etc. All have different logons, and I see a list of 3 different logon options and have to choose the one I want. I think this is tied to the location, and if I could edit that field then I could make it auto-fill for each site. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Adam Palmer‌,

Yes, you can edit the location in the main 1Password program. Open it, unlock, find your Login, and edit it. You'll see this view:

Edit it to match your subdomain precisely.

• Adam Palmer
    Adam Palmer
    Community Member
    Options

That actually doesn't work the way you think it does. When I look at the location field in my work folder in 1Password I have four entries for our domain. Even though the four websites are going to sub-domains like mail, tickets, secure, etc. When I edit the URL as you suggest the sub-domain is already present, but the location field still shows the parent domain only when I am looking at it from the folder. If you'd like to test using your example, set the URL to mail.twitter.com hit okay, and then look at the location field. It will still say twitter.com. I want to be able to modify the field to use the sub-domain, so that I only have one option to auto-fill the webpage instead of four.

Thanks,

Adam

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Adam Palmer‌,

In the browser, if only one of your Login items goes to mail.twitter.com, then that's the one that 1Password will directly fill in when you press Control + \ on mail.twitter.com. However, if you click the 1Password button on the toolbar, it will show all the items that has the same domain name, regardless of the subdomains. This lets users reuse a specific Login on any subdomain and you can't change this.

The only way to directly fill in without seeing the other items is to use the keyboard shortcut.

The location column in the main 1Password program is just going to show you the domains, so that you can quickly sort it and find what you need. It ignores the subdomains intentionally and it does not related to the direct fills via the keyboard shortcut.

• Adam Palmer
    Adam Palmer
    Community Member
    Options

If I click the extension, or if I hit ctrl + / I get a list of passwords to fill. There is no auto-fill happening and Auto-Submit Logins is checked under settings. The username is the same for all these accounts because it's tied to a domain. However, single sign on is not an option currently and the passwords need to be unique for each sub-domain. If 1password could differentiate between the sub-domains I suspect auto-fill would work correctly. I appreciate all your help.

Thanks,

• MikeT
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @Adam Palmer,

I think I know what the problem is. Can you try this and see if it works:

1. Open the main 1Password program, unlock, press the Preferences button on the toolbar and go to the Logins section.
    2. Check the Lenient URL matching option and press OK.
    3. Go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper

Now, test this again with Control +\ on your sites, does it work better?

• Adam Palmer
    Adam Palmer
    Community Member
    Options

That works for the ctrl + \ autofill, but it does not work for the 1Password extension as you probably know. I don't have consistent luck with the ctrl + \ and often end up hitting the extension instead. Any tricks for that? Is that a feature I can request? Or can you make autofill more awesome?

Thanks for all your help! 1Password 4 is crazy awesome! Loving the shared vaults and unified look / feel. If I'm wishing for features is there any chance we'll see browser unlock also unlock the desktop app? I know there's some sandboxing and security considerations here, and I certainly don't want to give that up. Just wondering if it's on the road map.

-Adam

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Adam Palmer‌,

That works for the ctrl + \ autofill, but it does not work for the 1Password extension as you probably know. I don't have consistent luck with the ctrl + \ and often end up hitting the extension instead.

Can you explain more about the consistency issue?

It might not work for the extension because the strict matching rule is turned off when you checked Lenient URL Matching as part of the testing we're doing here. Without the strict matching, it will show all the Login items that matches the domain. With the strict matching, it should only show the best matched ones.

So, right now, you can't have both because of this bug. Once we fix it, it should do what you want.

If I'm wishing for features is there any chance we'll see browser unlock also unlock the desktop app?

It already does that, make sure Universal Unlock is turned on, and you open the main program before unlocking the extension. To turn this on, open the main 1Password program, unlock, press the Preferences, and go to the Browsers section. Check Universal Unlock on the bottom and you should be all set.

There is a catch, you do need to open the main program first before you start using your browser, and unlock the extension. You can then minimize the program to hide it and both will lock/unlock at the same time. If you close the program using ALT+F4 or lock the main program before pressing the 'x' button, it'll kill the universal unlock status.

• Adam Palmer
    Adam Palmer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Consistency issue is as follows, intermittently when I hit ctrl + \ it doesn't autofill, but if I click the extension it always pops up allows me to select my login and autofills. There's no pattern to it that I can see. Sometimes clicking into the login field and then hitting ctrl + \ works, but not enough for me to use that as my go to option.

As to the Lenient URL matching, that sounds great! I'll just be patient. :)

I have the Universal Unlock checked, and think that's awesome! However, it's a one way unlock, and the wish list was to unlock from any browser / app, and have it unlock all other locations. If it's not in the cards its not a deal breaker. Just wishing. :)

Thanks,

-Adam

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Adam Palmer‌,

Consistency issue is as follows, intermittently when I hit ctrl + \ it doesn't autofill, but if I click the extension it always pops up allows me to select my login and autofills.

Does it happen more often on slow sites or do you have slow Internet access sometimes?

However, it's a one way unlock, and the wish list was to unlock from any browser / app, and have it unlock all other locations.

It's not one-way unlock, that's why it is called universal unlock. Once you unlock, it is supposed to unlock everything else in all browsers and in the main 1Password program.

It is possible I am misunderstanding what you're asking. Can you give me a real-life example of how you'd like this to work. This is how it works: You boot up the computer, you open the main 1Password program, minimize it, and then go to your Chrome browser. You can unlock the extension and it'll unlock the main program, 1Password extensions in Firefox, IE, Opera, and Safari all at the same time. If you lock the extension, everything else locks, and unlocking does the same.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

It is possible I am misunderstanding what you're asking. Can you give me a real-life example of how you'd like this to work.

I'll put good money on this being another instance of the someone not understanding the complex analysis of when the main app will unlock.

• Adam Palmer
    Adam Palmer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

I work for an ISP, so we have plenty of bandwidth at our disposal. The sites are internal to my organization, and are fully loaded / responsive when I attempt the ctrl + \ command. My laptop is 4 months old, and very robust. In the past when this has happened I've looked in task manager, and I've had plenty of resources. I'm not sure what to tell you. I'll try to be mindful to use ctrl + \ more to be able to provide you with a better idea of what's happening.

Real world example for Universal Unlock: When I login to my computer, be it to start my day or to return from break, I would like to be able to open my web browser and trigger 1Password to prompt me for my password and have it unlock all my browsers and the main application. If I do this today, it only unlocks the browsers.

Actually, it's doing this right now. I unlocked my browser extension to fill a password, the icon in the task tray shows unlocked, but the application is asking for my password again when I click on it. See attached. There are no duplicate 1Password icons in the task tray. When I minimize the app the icon still shows unlocked in the task tray, and the extension is still unlocked. However, if I hit the red X on the app the icon switches to locked, and the extension is then locked as well. If I unlock the extension the same scenario will play out, but if I unlock the app then everything is fine. This is what I mean by wanting the browser extension unlock to unlock the application as well.

I attached all my relevant settings as well if that's helpful.

• Adam Palmer
    Adam Palmer
    Community Member
    Options

Version 4.0.1.503

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Adam Palmer‌,

Stay tuned for the next app update, we've fixed a few glitches in the universal unlock last month in the 4.0.2 betas already.

If you'd like to test the beta right now, you can do that. Just open the main program, unlock, press the Preferences button to go to the Updates section, and check the box next to Include Beta versions. Press OK and go to the Help Menu > Check for New Versions to update your program.

See if that'll work better.

• Adam Palmer
    Adam Palmer
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds good. Thanks again for all your help Mike!

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome!

• Adam Palmer
    Adam Palmer
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi Mike,

So the ctrl + \ definitely doesn't work when I boot my laptop in the morning. I have unlocked the app / extension, and I can click the key and select my login, but autofill does not work. If I lock my laptop, and re-login, then I can hit ctrl + \ and it will work. I've typically noticed this in the morning, but this is the first time I've spent the time to figure out why it begins to work later in the day.

Thanks,

-Adam

• Adam Palmer
    Adam Palmer
    Community Member
    Options

Of my three Windows computers, the work laptop is the only one exhibiting this issue (just tested the other two after reboot), but the the worktop is also the most heavily used. It was a fresh install 4 months ago.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If the same build of 1Password for Windows is installed on all three computers, and you're using the same build of the same browser on all three computers with the same build of the extension plugged in, then there has to be something different about the work laptop.

Any idea what that might be?

• Adam Palmer
    Adam Palmer
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I use Chrome and IE 11, and both auto-update now so they're all the latest version. I'll double check the extensions to make sure they are all the latest versions, and try to narrow down the culprit on my laptop. At least I know I can lock the laptop, and unlock it and get 1Password to autofill.

Thanks,

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Keep us posted, Adam. We want to help!

This discussion has been closed.