1password mini.app and iCloud

Options
jasnw
jasnw
Community Member

I was checking my iCloud settings today in light of the uproar over the celebrity photos and found, much to my dismay, that the 1password mini.app showed up in the System Preferences iCloud setup enabled to "store documents and data in iCloud." I have specifically avoided using iCloud for anything related to security, very definitely NOT 1password information, and am more than a little upset that 1password mini.app appears to default to using iCloud! Just exactly what is being stored out there, and just exactly why is this set up to use iCloud by default?????

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think 1P4 does this by default. Like you, I avoid iCloud (other than for "Find my...") and if I go on my Mac to Settings > iCloud there is no mention anywhere of 1Password, in any form.

Have you ever experimented with iCloud sync, perhaps?

Stephen

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I do currently use iCloud for syncing, but when I used Dropbox instead, there was no mention of 1Password in my iCloud settings. I suspect that @Stephen_C‌ is on the right track, as he usually is.

• Hi @jasnw‌,

Back in the very early days of 1Password 4.0 on iOS, we did work some magic to set up iCloud right away (as a way for having a copy of data off device for backup), but we stopped that pretty quickly. Otherwise any way we'd appear in iCloud is if the user initiated it.

• bellyqueen
    bellyqueen
    Community Member
    Options

I believe in Systems Preferences>iCloud>Documents & Data>more options (see attached screenshot) the box for 1Password mini was automatically checked. I didn't do it! Will you make that checkmark an opt-in rather than an opt-out choice? I hope so!

Also, if we're backing up iPhones and iPads to iCloud, aren't we backing up the 1Password keychains and vaults there too?

• Jasper
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @bellyqueen,

If you haven't enabled iCloud sync in 1Password's preferences, none of your data will be stored in iCloud. You can check under System Preferences > iCloud > Manage and see if onepassword is listed there.

Also, if we're backing up iPhones and iPads to iCloud, aren't we backing up the 1Password keychains and vaults there too?

Yes, if 1Password is enabled under Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage > This iPhone.

This discussion has been closed.