1Password 4 OSX Backup Failures and Fix

Options
passwordman
passwordman
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Mac

I was dealing with the continuing failure by 1password 4 to create backups (got the dreaded Cocoa error 13). I tried restarting the mini as recommended, many times to no avail. Made sure all the 1password v3 files were gone, including the launch agents. Still no joy. Used the OSX recovery mode to fix permissions. No joy. Did everything I could think of.

Then found the procedure below. It fixed the problem immediately and has continued to work with no problems. FYI, I only did Step 1 as Step 2 (which is optional) wasn't necessary.

I'm putting it in this forum in case this helps anyone else with this issue if restarting the mini doesn't fix the problem for you. It was a user permission issue, but not one that most "conventional" tips could fix. I found this protocol here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5275515

Moderator note: The copied/pasted text has been removed in favor of Linc Davis' Apple Support Communities postings being viewed in their original location with their original format.

Steps 1 and 2, starting with Back up all data, are in the Aug 31, 2013 1:48 PM post here:

Reset Home Folder permissions and ACLs Error | Apple Support Communities

Instructions for opening Terminal using LaunchPad are in the Aug 31, 2013 12:25 PM post here:

Reset Home Folder permissions and ACLs Error | Apple Support Communities

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @passwordman,

Thank you for referring to Linc Davis' Apple Support Communities postings that resolved your problem with failing 1Password backups. Glad to hear that worked for you after nothing else you previously tried had been successful.

The text you'd copied from Linc's postings has been removed; unfortunately its formatting didn't carry over too well here. It's important to run commands in Terminal accurately, especially any using sudo that escalate privileges, and seeing them as originally formatted helps make them distinct.

If anyone else is having trouble with 1Password backups please let us know and we'll be happy to help. There are other things worth checking and trying before reaching a point where fully resetting home folder permissions might be a viable option.

ref: OPT-2

This discussion has been closed.