Options
Valiantwagon
Valiantwagon
Community Member

1Password Version - 4.4.1
OSX 10.9.4
All Auto Lock Preferences Ticked
Idle time set to 1 minute

I may have misunderstood how 1Password is supposed to operate. When leaving the iMac for any period of time I can come back to any web based application and have it open without referencing the 1Password Master Password. I can see 1Password lock itself but it does not lock down any open application.This leaves everything open and on display.

I was under the impression that when I left the machine that 1Password would lock down all web based apps and these could only be accessed by once again entering the Master Password and using 1Password as an autofill tool.

Have I misunderstood how it works.

Thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Valiantwagon‌

Thanks for taking the time to write in! Unfortunately, 1Password does not have the powers that you speak of. In fact, I'm not sure that is even technically possible. 1Password's lock settings are for the main app, the mini and the browser extension only. It is not able to log you out of any websites that you have signed into using the program.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but I do hope this helps!

• Valiantwagon
    Valiantwagon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan

Thank you for your reply. However, I would have thought that if my machine had been asleep overnight and all applications closed before sleeping that 1Password would not grant access to anyone who happened to wake the machine without some sort of protocol.

Is this not correct?

Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Valiantwagon,

I'm not quite sure I understand your question here. If you have your lock settings set as you say, with all the options selected, then 1Password will lock when the computer goes to sleep at night. It will require the Master Password when you wake your computer the next day.

Is 1Password unlocked for you after waking your computer from sleep?

If you are looking to password protect your entire computer, this is again something that 1Password does not have the power to do. You can add a password to your computer in Apple's System Preferences, under Security and Privacy in the General tab.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions. :)

• Valiantwagon
    Valiantwagon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan

Thank you for persisting.

I have password protection set for the machine but the moment this password is entered and the machine wakes from sleeping 1Password gives access to whoever is at the machine to every site I access. All they need do is open a browser click on a link and 1Password automatically grants them access. In the past this simply was not possible because I had the remember login details for my browsers disabled and I simply remembered all my passwords.

I may be misunderstanding the function of 1Password but it seems to me that all it does is act as a repository for passwords without adding any real additional level of security to the machine. In fact it downgrades security by giving easy access to any site for which I have a stored password.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Valiantwagon,

It sounds like you might have multiple versions of 1Password installed. Even if that's not the case we'd like to take a closer look at your current configuration to find the source of this problem and help you fix it.

To do that, please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.