Using attachment from software licenses

Options
jlconlin
jlconlin
Community Member

I have stored a license file with my software licenses as I'm sure many of you have done. Today I tried to use that license file. I tried to to drag the file from 1Password to the installation program, but that didn't work. I tried to find where the license file was actually stored, but 1Password didn't allow me to do that as well. The only way I could get the license file out of 1Password was to drag it to the desktop (which made a copy) and use that license file to license my software product.

This seemed a little clunky. Is there a better way to do this?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Some files (like pdf and text files) can be viewed "natively" in 1P4 by either double clicking on the attachment or highlighting it and pressing the space bar. You can't do anything like that with binary files (including licence files). The only way to take them out of 1P4, so far as I am aware, is the way you have discovered.

Stephen

• chrisdj
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @jlconlin‌,

You do indeed need to drag files out of 1Password in order to use them. This is because when you view an item the way @stephen_c described, 1Password is decrypting a copy into a temp location, which is then discarded when you are done.

Dragging a copy out is especially important for any file you wish to edit. If you open the file direct from 1Password, then you'll be editing the temp file, which, as I said, is a copy that gets destroyed. In that case, edits would not be saved. However, if you drag the attachment out, edit that copy, then re-attach, you'll be golden.

ref: OPM-2065

This discussion has been closed.