New user, need to start again...

Options
magomagi
magomagi
Community Member

Installed 1P4 a few weeks ago but because of travel commitments I never got around to setting up the app apart from setting the master password which (of course) I have now forgotten X( .

I've seen multiple posts on this subject and I have followed the instructions http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/start-over.html and https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-for-mac-knowledgebase/4/en/topic/how-do-i-start-over (plus another one somewhere else) several times (including rebooting the mac in-between and using Terminal to kill the background processes) but when I re-start 1Password 4 it always asks for my password again and does not start up from first run.

I have both the 1P4 for Mac OS and iOS so I need to completely scrap everything done previously and start again on both OSs.

Comments

• magomagi
    magomagi
    Community Member
    Options

As a follow on I ended up deleting all the agilebits data from my ~/Library/Mobile Documents folder and deleted 1P4 from the iOS devices. This allowed me to start again and set a new master password. Now to actually use the app (I hope)!?

• Hi @magomagi‌,

Ah, yes, if you had sync data you would want to clear that as well as the sqlite file in the instructions you found and linked to. It sounds like you should be good to go with a fresh database now. Let me know if you run into any more snags.

• glennt
    glennt
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue described by msgomagi. The instructions linked in his/her post with instructions for uninstalling 1Password do not work for me. The file "2BUA8C4S2C..." does not exist on my computer. Not sure if this is because I had not gotten to creating any entries in 1Password, only having created the master password then immediately forgetting it. Trashing the app then reinstalling still results in the password/login window when the reinstalled app is opened. The 1Password mobile (IOS) version is not linked to the Mac version. Help!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@glennt‌ if you bought your copy of 1P4 from AgileBits you won't have a "2BUA8C4S2C..." folder. See this up to date article on starting over. It sounds as though you may need to look at the section headed "If you use the version of 1Password from the AgileBits store". If that's wrong and you still have problems please post again.

Stephen

• magomagi
    magomagi
    Community Member
    Options

Well I finally got round to re-starting everything and 1P4 seems to be up and running on both my MacOS and iOS devices using iCloud syncing. With 20/20 hindsight – the program will naturally look for synced iCloud files so deleting them seems to have cured the problem. I also had to delete the1P4 app from my iDevices so it deleted the associated synced iCloud data to get this to work.

Perhaps it would be good to update the https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-for-mac-knowledgebase/4/en/topic/how-do-i-start-over page to give folk a hint that they will have to do more than what is suggested to fix the issue if they have already synced other devices? Perhaps a link to another page with a workaround if you have already synced? Just an idea...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @magomagi‌

Thanks so much for following up here! I'm so glad to hear that you got everything working, but I apologize that it was a bit of a process. I've passed your thoughts along to our document gurus and we'll do what we can to make that document more clear and helpful for users such as yourself. :)

ref: DOCS-58

• glennt
    glennt
    Community Member
    Options

Stephen_C, Thanks very much, the instructions you linked worked for me - now happily back to square one! :)

• @glennt‌ Glad to hear you're all set!

This discussion has been closed.