Touch ID not working in Safari extension [Currently being investigated, see post #14 for tips]

merhault
merhault
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

I have Touch ID enabled and it's working great when accessing the 1Password app but it's not working with the Safari extension. When I access the extension through the share button, it just prompts for the master password, no Touch ID option.

In the Touch ID FAQ is does say that the Safari extension is supported, correct?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

There is in fact quite a lot of up to date documentation, including this about the 1P5 extension and the extension FAQ (in addition to the general wealth of information in the 1P iOS user guide and the 1P for iOS knowledge base).

Stephen

• merhault
    merhault
    Community Member

Thanks, the Extension FAQ helped clear it out, I hadn't noticed the difference between the timeouts for the Master Password and Touch ID

• sashatorres7
    sashatorres7
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. I have read through all the relevant FAQs, and tried configuring my security settings in different ways, but the Safari extension asks me for my password rather than my fingerprint every time. Fingerprint is working fine with the 1Password app.

• merhault
    merhault
    Community Member

I just changed the "Request After" option to 30 Days and now I get use the Safari extension with just Touch ID.

• David_C
    David_C
    Community Member

Not working for me. My setting is also 30 days.

• sashatorres7
    sashatorres7
    Community Member

I'm using the same setting and it's still not working for me. What do you have "request fingerprint after... " set to?

• merhault
    merhault
    Community Member

I have for 2 minutes only

• ameeps
    ameeps
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue. TouchID works to unlock the app, but not the safari extension.

• michaelw
    michaelw
    Community Member

I had the same issues, but after deleting the app and re-installing it, it all worked perfectly.

• ucs308
    ucs308
    Community Member

Same for me. Many problems with TouchID. I deleted and reinstalled the app and now it works well.

• sjonsson
    sjonsson
    Community Member

I had all the same problems and deleted and reinstalled the app as suggested in the previous comment and now it all worlds properly.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to hear that TouchID is not working smoothly for you all in the Safari extension. As has been suggested previously, it is important that you:

Please note: you can customize the length of time 1Password will wait before prompting for your Master Password - this setting is independent of whether or not you are using Touch ID. To change this setting, go to Settings > Security and change the value for "Request after". For security reasons, it is impossible to configure 1Password so that it never asks for the Master Password.

To learn more, you can see our guide here:

http://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/4/en/topic/touch-id-faq

If you are still seeing inconsistent behaviour in with the request for your Master Password, please check in Settings > Advanced. If you do not have the 'Use iOS keychain' option enabled, if the iOS closes 1Password in the background due to inactivity you will be required to enter your Master Password when you open 1Password again.

I hope this helps, but if anyone is still having difficulties, please let me know and we'll get it sorted! :)

• davidMagic
    davidMagic
    Community Member

It does work after deleting the app and reinstalling it. But it asked for my master password when syncing vault on re-install. Is it a normal behaviour?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @davidMagic‌

I'm glad to hear that reinstalling got the extension working for you.

But it asked for my master password when syncing vault on re-install. Is it a normal behaviour?

1Password will ask for the Master Password of your vault when you are setting up your vault. This is a security precaution: you wouldn't want anyone to be able to load your vault without having to enter the Master Password, would you? :)

• luccallens
    luccallens
    Community Member

Hi,

I've set the password request time to 30 minutes in 1Password settings, then go to Safari, open a site, click on share, choose the 1Password icon and it still asks me for my master password. I'm probably missing something but for me that defies a bit the purpose of the integration with Safari if every time I have to enter my master password when opening a site in Safari that requires login and password (while the 1Password app remains accessible without password as I've set the time to lock to 30 min.).
    When I enable the PIN code, then I have to enter and the PIN and the master password while in Safari.

Tell me I'm doing something wrong please. And please don't ask me to activate the PIN and check the option to save the master password in my keychain. That's an absolute NO as I have 1Password because I don't like Apple's keychain. If I have to use Apple's keychain, then I might as well throw 1Password out and use Apple's keychain for my passwords.

Thanks !!!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

Hi @luccallens,

I apologize for the trouble here. I don't think you're doing anything wrong here. We are currently tracking an issue where the Master Password security settings will be respected in the main app, but users will be continually prompted for the Master Password in the extension. I'd love to get some more information from you to help our devs track this nasty bug down:

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    http://guides.agilebits.com/knowledgebase/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: CSI-17

• jjscott
    jjscott
    Community Member

I am also suffering the same issue. No problems using TouchID to log into the app but TouchID does not work in the Safari extension. I have reinstalled the app, attempted various combinations of timeouts but to no avail. Any recommendations?

• luccallens
    luccallens
    Community Member

Hi Megan,

Thanks. Check the support email account. Just send you the diagnostics report. Hope it's of any use.

Luc

• gc916
    gc916
    Community Member

I'm experiencing the same problem, even after reviewing instructions and ensuring settings are correct. I'd be happy to send a Diagnostics Report if it would be helpful.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jjscott,

I'm sorry to hear that this issue is bothering you as well! We've heard several reports of TouchID settings not being respected in the Safari extension, and our developers are currently working to figure out where things are getting tangled up. We'll be sure to update here when we have more information.

ref: CSI-17

• jp28md
    jp28md
    Community Member

I'm experiencing the same problem. I go to Safari, open a site, click on share, choose the 1Password icon and it still asks me for my master password when it goes to 1Password app. Wish it would just ask for Finger Print.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @luccallens,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: LKT-69118-171

Hi @gc916,

Before sending in a Diagnostics Report, please ensure that you have a read through my post #14 above on how TouchID should be working first. Just to make sure that you do have the settings set properly to get the behaviour you desire.

If you are seeing inconsistent behaviour between the main app and the extension, please do follow the instructions to send in a Report so our team can investigate further. :)

• Nathan Horwitz
    Nathan Horwitz
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

i'm having the same problem. I tried deleting and re-installing the 1 password application and that did not work. Basically, in safari, touchid will ask for the fingerprint sometimes but not others.

edit Actually, just followed the link above and now it seems to be working (setting to 30 days). Will update if it there are any more occurrences but all looks to be good. Thanks!

• simono101
    simono101
    Community Member

if the iOS closes 1Password in the background due to inactivity you will be required to enter your Master Password when you open 1Password again.

Doesn't this defeat the point of having a long timeout on the master password. Is there anyway we can make 1Password persistent so that the timeout settings are respected? If I don't use my phone for a couple of hours after using several other apps I find I have to enter my master password (which is set to 48 hours, whilst TouchID is set to 1 minute).

• GadgetComa
    GadgetComa
    Community Member

I'm seeing similar behavior when I use the extension on my iPhone 5 and iPad 4. I don't have Touch ID, but I assume after logging into the extension with my master password, I would only be prompted for my PIN code until the time out period on my master password had passed (currently 30 mins) or until iOS closed the app for memory recovery. Instead, I'm constantly prompted for my master password when I use the extension - even when I use it twice within seconds. For example, on a number of sites, I need to enter my user ID and password on separate screens. So I end up accessing the extension twice in a very short period of time. I'm still prompted for my master password. Interestingly, I've found that if I have logged into the 1Password app, the extension usually remembers the login and only asks for my PIN code.

Just to confirm this wasn't specific to my iOS devices or iOS itself, I tried the same logins with Lastpass (I'm migrating from LP to 1P because 1P's UI is SOOO much better). Lastpass did not prompt me for my master password every time I used the extension. It did so only after the timeout period.

FYI. I am using the iOS keychain to support the master password.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Nathan,

I'm so glad to hear that you found the settings that work for you! Please do let us know if you notice anything else out of sorts - we're here to help. :)

Hi @simono101‌

Doesn't this defeat the point of having a long timeout on the master password. Is there anyway we can make 1Password persistent so that the timeout settings are respected?

The solution to this issue is storing the Master Password in the iOS keychain. This allows 1Password to respect the timeout settings even if the app is closed in the background. If you do not use the iOS keychain, 1Password can only 'remember' your Master Password while it is open. As soon as the iOS closes 1Password in the background to reclaim memory resources, the Master Password is 'forgotten' and you'll need to re-enter it when you open the app again.

I hope this helps to explain things, I know it's a bit tricky - we are here if you have any further questions or concerns!

Hi @GadgetComa‌

We are seeing several reports of the app extension not respecting the Master Password timeout. This generally happens when the 'Use iOS keychain' is not enabled. But I notice that you do have that setting enabled. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• simono101
    simono101
    Community Member

@Megan‌ I did have that option (use iOS keychain) enabled so not sure what is wrong. I sent in a diagnostic report.

Cheers

Simon

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @simono101,

Thanks for sending that Report in! I took a quick look in our system, but I was unable to find an email from the address you attached to your forum account. If you could send me a private message with the address that you used to send in the Report, I'd be happy to track it down and ensure that it gets answered quickly. :)

This discussion has been closed.