Get your pro app onto family members iDevice - free

Options
steve28
steve28
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

Here's a way you can get the "full" app on the rest of your family iPhones without having to buy it everywhere.

1. Temporarily remove an iPhone from the family, sign out of iTunes Store
  2. Sing in with your Apple ID on that phone
  3. Download 1pass from the App Store, it will be the full version
  4. Sign out of the itunes store with your ID and back in with family members id
  5. Re-add them to the family

You should now have a fully functional "pro" app on your family member's phone

Lastly, don't feel bad because Agile stated they intended families to be able to share the in-app purchase anyway.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @steve28,

Thanks for sharing this! I've got to get all official here and advise a bit of a caution though: Apple only allows IDs to be switched so often on a device, and we have seen the timeout until you can switch again be up to one year. So users who do wish to try this must be aware of this potential.

I do appreciate that you are looking for solutions to what can be a pretty crummy situation. We're all a bit disappointed here that Family Sharing doesn't include goodies such as In-App Purchases. (There's a lot of stuff I was hoping to snag from my husband's account!) :)

Keep being awesome, Steve.

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member
    Options

Woah - didn't realize there was a switching limit.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @steve28,

I haven't run into it myself, but a coworker was playing around with Family Sharing and testing things out and got into a bit of trouble. So, exercise caution when switching AppleIDs on a device. :)

This discussion has been closed.