Multiple vaults, confused...

Options
Davide
Davide
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Mac

Hi,

i just read about (multiple vaults) which is a great feature..

So what i did is:

1. I obviously already have a 'Primary vault' which contains all my current passwords.
  2. I created a new Vault and called it "Bank accounts Vault"
  3. I enter a new password for the new "Bank accounts Vault"
  4. I put some new Logins and Secure Notes in my new "Bank accounts Vault"

(this way i have my bank accounts in a separate vault, which isn't unlocked every time i login to some website)

Now, when i lock both vaults, and then enter the password to unlock the "Primary Vault", this also unlocks the "Bank accounts Vault" - even though this one has an entirely different password.
I find this a bit confusing, and i don't see it mentioned in any of the documentation. Also it doesn't seem very 'separated' to me.

Can it be turned off somehow?

Please advise, thanks :)

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Davide,

I'm sorry to hear that multiple vaults is confusing you right now. 1Password's new multiple vault feature was designed so that you still only have to remember one password, no matter how many vaults you create. Your primary vault holds the encryption keys for all of your secondary vaults. This means that unlocking your primary vault will give you quick and easy access to all of your data, regardless of which vault it is stored in.

However, you still can unlock a secondary vault on its own. In the main app, use 1Password > Switch Vault menu. (In the 1Password mini, click on the lock image on the lock screen to select the secondary vault.) Please note that when you unlock the secondary vault alone, all other vaults will remain locked. You won't be able to copy items between vaults, and you will need to enter your Master Password to view another vault.

I hope this helps to explain things a bit, but if you have any further questions, we're here to help!

• Davide
    Davide
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks for explaining,

...designed so that you still only have to remember one password

Seems useful to add that info to the documentation, or maybe it's already there somewhere and i missed it.

So i swapped the Vaults around and it works now the only downside is, i always have to switch to the 'Secundary' vault, since 1Password always opens with the Primary vault (the one i use rarely). I can live with that :-)

David.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @Davide,

I'm so glad to hear that my explanation was helpful. I'll be sure to mention to our docs team that some details into just why secondary vaults act the way they do would be helpful. To life a little bit more simple for you as far as switching vaults is concerned, the keyboard shortcut ⌘# (where # is the vault number) will switch vaults. This works when 1Password is locked (if you would like to open a secondary vault directly without unlocking the primary, and both in the main app and 1Password Mini.

ref: DOCS-104, OPM-2227

• Keith Perkins
    Keith Perkins
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to tail onto this.... but I'm also confused by multiple vaults, but for a different reason.

I've run 1password on both windows and mac (using dropbox as a sync folder). I recently updated my windows machines to version 4 and like all the updates.

However, I created an alternate 'vault' in my dropbox folder as a folder with the .agilekeychain extension. to switch between 'vaults' in the windows app, I use a list of 'recent vaults' and simply select the new folder to load, type in the master password for that vault, and I'm good.

Looking at it from the mac app, it's completely different. vaults here seem to have a completely different connotation. They seem to be simply higher level "folders' of sorts to reorganize your existing data. In fact, I can't find any 'easy' way to switch to my alternate vault from the mac app ; aside from disconnecting my sync settings to my primary vault, switching to the alternate one, etc. certainly not preferable.

Am I missing something?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Keith,

No need to apologize. I'm happy to help you with de-confusing multiple vaults. :)

However, I created an alternate 'vault' in my dropbox folder as a folder with the .agilekeychain extension. to switch between 'vaults' in the windows app,

Did you do that with the File > New 1Password Vault… command in 1Password for Windows?

Looking at it from the mac app, it's completely different. vaults here seem to have a completely different connotation. They seem to be simply higher level "folders' of sorts to reorganize your existing data.

That's an interesting way of seeing vaults; I like it. :)

In fact, I can't find any 'easy' way to switch to my alternate vault from the mac app ; aside from disconnecting my sync settings to my primary vault, switching to the alternate one, etc. certainly not preferable.

Is your primary vault currently configured to sync with your 1Password.agilekeychain keychain in Dropbox that 1Password for Windows is using?

Here's some background …

In 1Password 4 for Mac, the local database contains at least the one primary vault and any optional secondary vaults. Each vault can be optionally configured separately to sync its data with supported (and possibly differing) syncing methods.

For example, the primary vault might be configured to use iCloud Sync, one secondary vault might be configured to use Folder Sync, and two other secondary vaults might be configured to use Dropbox Sync.

That's might sound pretty abstract so let's make it more practical for your purposes …

You mentioned that you've "created an alternate 'vault' in my dropbox folder as a folder with the .agilekeychain extension"; we'll call it sample.agilekeychain. If you open sample.agilekeychain on your Mac (e.g. by double-clicking it), 1Password will offer to create a new secondary vault from it in the 1Password database on your Mac, and keep that vault and keychain in sync:

You can give the new vault a custom icon, color, and title. You'll need to enter the password for the keychain that was presumably set for it with 1Password for Windows. After the vault has been created, you can check its syncing status under the Sync tab of the Preferences window:

Then you can switch between that new vault and any others like @Megan explained and showed in her reply. If you decide to disable syncing later you'll still have data in the vault.

In fact, I can't find any 'easy' way to switch to my alternate vault from the mac app ; aside from disconnecting my sync settings to my primary vault, switching to the alternate one, etc. certainly not preferable.

You can leave your primary vault the way it is and create a new secondary vault from your "alternate" keychain.

I hope this helps make multiple vault usage with 1Password on your Mac clearer. It might not all make sense right away and that's okay. :)

If you have any questions about it please don't hesitate to ask. We're here to help!

• Davide
    Davide
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan‌,

i've now stumbled upon a new problem, the secondary Vault cannot be synced to my iPhone - it has now synced my Primary vault so i now nolonger have access to my data on my iPhone. I know it's possible to sync with Dropbox but i don't consider uploading all my data to dropbox (i'm aware it's encrypted.)

Anyways, will syncing the secondary vault over Wifi be available soon in an updated version?

Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

You'll get no joy asking about an ETA I'm afraid, they're extremely coy when it comes to timelines or features. They are aware such a feature is wanted by their users though.

I use a system of merging then splitting vaults for the purposes of WiFi syncing, that's about all I've found that works for me.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Davide,

Again, you have my apologies that multiple vaults are still causing you trouble here. They are an awesome feature and full of lots of potential, but there is still room for improvement here, and the version of multiple vaults that you see before you today is really only the start of what we'd like to do with them.

But that doesn't do you a lot of good right now. As @littlebobbytables‌ says, we try not to make promises on unreleased features, as there are many factors involved (some of which are completely beyond our control) which could affect a feature's release date, and we don't want to get users' hopes up for a feature that ultimately becomes un-deliverable at the promised time. That being said, our developers have been working a lot of Wi-Fi sync lately, and you should see a much more robust version of this feature soon. ;)

We very much appreciate your patience as we work to improve Wi-Fi sync and multiple vaults. To get access to all of your data now, I might suggest storing all your data in a single vault and using folders to organize your 'secondary vault' data separately from the primary vault data.

I hope this helps!

• Davide
    Davide
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan‌,

thanks for you reply & the info, looking forward to new features sometime in the future :-)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Megan, you are quite welcome. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.