Mac App Store vs Direct Purchase [please refer to post #15 for additional information]

Options
JT_Allen
JT_Allen
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Mac

Is there any key differences between the Mac App Store version and the one direct from Agile Bits?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The main one is that the App Store version will permit iCloud syncing as long as iCloud exists. The AgileBits version currently allows iCloud syncing, but it is possible that Apple will remove this functionality, so one can't rely on it.

The App Store version is slower to receive upgrades than the direct version, because it has to pass through Apple' approval process.

People have different views on the importance of these factors, so it is up to you to decidw what is important.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

As an additional point, if you buy the Mac App Store version and subsequently decide to change to the AgileBits store version the latter version will recognise that you bought from the Mac App Store and will be licensed automatically. That cannot happen in reverse (i.e., if you change from the AgileBits store version to the Mac App Store version).

Stephen

• JT_Allen
    JT_Allen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the information. I will buy directly. Not keen on using iCloud for password data.

• big77
    big77
    Community Member
    Options

At some point MAS purchasers were asked to download an additional javascript snippet to gain better functionality. The snippet couldn't be included in the MAS versions due to MAS restrictions.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The file big77 refers to is mentioned in this sticky at the top of the forum (for anyone else reading this thread).

Stephen

• Dafydd James
    Dafydd James
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for this information. Do you know if there are any plans to allow someone to convert from the AgileBits store version to the MAS version? I'm not sure if it's technically feasible but it would definitely be useful.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I rather suspect conversion (without payment) from AgileBits store version to the Mac App Store version is not ever going to be possible—unless there's some dramatic change in the way the Mac App Store works.

Stephen

• raamana
    raamana
    Community Member
    Options

I second the request from Dafydd James.

Stephen_C, one way to do that would be offer a coupon code, but I suspect there are some financial downsides to AgileBits this way?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

My suspicion back in July was, as so often the case, completely wrong. :) Have a look at the top of this knowledge base page.

Stephen

• starlir
    starlir
    Community Member
    Options

I need iCloud sync on Yosemite DP8 but now find I cannot have it because I took the option to buy directly from Agile Bits. Don't understand why the App Store version would have it but not the direct version. Have logged with Support and await a response to see what the options are.

• jbtme
    jbtme
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Have a look at post number 8 in this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/28616/bought-1password-some-days-ago-now-its-free
    And I just found out that I throw $15 out the window after wrong advice on agilebit website.

• jbtme
    jbtme
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry. Will just correct that to $25.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

And while you're looking at that thread, and possibly of more help to @starlir‌, see this post from AgileBits, which includes the following:

We're working on a way to help web store users switch to the Mac App Store, but we're not quite ready to talk about it yet. Don't worry though—if you want to sync with iCloud, we won't leave you stranded.

Stephen

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. We would never leave you stranded. iCloud sync has been a bit of a grey area with regard to the Mac App Store vs. AgileBits website. Our understanding of Apple's rules were that as long as an app was available in the Mac App Store (which 1Password is), it could use iCloud sync (which we took to mean that the website version could also make use of iCloud sync). It is becoming clearer that this was not Apple's intention, and they are enforcing the policy that has been there all along. That is why, even though iCloud syncing was working in the version of 1Password available from our website, we've always advised folks who plan to sync via iCloud to purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store.

To complicate matters, though, iCloud Drive changes things a bit. It requires iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite (which, at the time of this writing, has not been released apart from a beta program). We wrote about this on our blog back in July:

Things to know about beta testing OS X Yosemite

What this means is that until Yosemite is released 1Password cannot sync via iCloud between Mac and iOS. For complete details, please see:

iCloud in 1Password 5 FAQ

So there are two different issues with iCloud. One will be resolved once you are running Yosemite. The other requires that you purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store. It isn't feasible to provide promo codes to everyone to migrate them to the Mac App Store since Apple only provides a very small number of them to developers. We're talking hundreds of codes (compared to the millions of 1Password users).

All that said, if you feel you have purchased 1Password from the "wrong" distribution channel, please email us. For privacy reasons we don't normally assist with licensing issues in this public forum. We're here to help, though: support@ agilebits .com

:)

This discussion has been closed.