Importing .psafe3 with a folder hierarchy

Options
yemartin
yemartin
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

Hi,

I need to import a large and hierarchical Password Gorilla / Password Safe 3 (.psafe3) database into 1Password 4. Apparently .psafe3 import (that used to be available in 1Password3 as per http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/import_passwords.html) has been removed from 1Password 4. I have found the .csv import option, but it allows only a flat import. My .psafe3 database is organized into many folders and subfolders, and I would like to avoid having to recreate this hierarchy by hand in 1Password.

Is there a way I could transform my data into something that 1Password could import into a folders hierarchy? Or would 1Password 3 be able to import the hierarchy directly from the .psafe3 (then I could migrate the DB to 1Password4)? Any other ideas?

Thank you,
Yves-Eric

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Yves-Eric,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we experienced a surge in support requests recently. We're doing the best we can to get back to our usual speedy replies as soon as possible.

I think your best option here is to install a trial version of 1Password 3 for Mac to get your data imported. You can download a legacy versions of 1Password 3 here, then once your data is imported, sync via Dropbox to get your data transferred into 1Password 4.

This should get you all sorted, but we'd be happy to help if you hit any snags during the process. :)

• yemartin
    yemartin
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I tried using 1Password 3 but I get the following error when trying to import:

Failed to run import script

/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Import/lib/json/pure.rb:17:in `rescue in <module:JSON>': uninitialized constant JSON::Iconv (NameError)
    from /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Import/lib/json/pure.rb:10:in `<module:JSON>'
    from /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Import/lib/json/pure.rb:9:in `<top (required)>'
    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require'
    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require'
    from /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Import/lib/json.rb:224:in `<module:JSON>'
    from /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Import/lib/json.rb:222:in `<top (required)>'
    from /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Import/lib/base.rb:2:in `<top (required)>'
    from /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Import/Password_Safe_3.rb:2:in `<main>'

Any idea what is wrong? Is my file format wrong?
    FYI: I did the following to get my import data file:

1) Export to CSV (comma separated) using Password Gorilla export
    2) Open in LibreOffice, save back using tab separated
    3) Try to import in 1Password 3.

Thank you,
    Yves-Eric

• Meek
    Options

Hi @yemartin‌,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble with 1Password! Lets figure out whats going on.

So there is actually a known issue with importing files in 1Password 3 on Mavericks. We do, however, have a workaround - give the following a try:

1. I'd like to ask you to run a Terminal command for me. To open Terminal, open the Finder, click Applications, then open the Utilities folder. Find Terminal and open it. Then copy and paste the line below, then press return on your keyboard:

PATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password

1. Click File > Import and choose the file that you would like to import - it should work this time!

Let us know if that works for you. If not, please let us know at what point the trouble began, and we'll continue from there.

• voimala
    voimala
    Community Member
    Options

For posterity, I can confirm that solution offered in this thread works on OS X 10.9.5.

• Exported pwSafe DB into tab-separated txt file
    • Installed 1P 3
    • Got similar error trying to import the txt file
    • Started 1P 3 using the command above
    • Imported the DB from txt file
    • Exported into 1PIF format
    • Imported the 1PIF DB file into 1P 4
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! That's great. news. Thanks for letting us know that worked well for you, @voimala‌. :)

Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.