Passwords do not match between my MacBook Pro and my iPads and iPhones

Mel Burstein
Mel Burstein
Community Member

I know that the Logins on my MacBook (Yosemite PB3) all work because I tested them one by one; no small task because there are 211 items with strong unique passwords. I use DropBox to Sync the vault to two iPads and two iPhones. A few days ago, I installed iOS 8 on all four devices. Lastly, I am using 1Password 4 (Yosemite beta) on the MacBook and 1Password 5 on the IOS devices. This had been working perfectly until around the time that I installed iOS 8 but I am not saying iOS 8 is the problem.

Let me get to the point. Lately, some of my logins have stopped working on the IOS devices because the passwords are wrong. Upon further checking I believe I changed the passwords in question and they did not sync across devices and my laptop. Maybe I don't fully understand how things are suppose to work. All devices point to /1Password/1Password.agilekeychain, a DropBox file. I don't understand what has gone wrong.

I am asking for ideas and instructions on how to fix this mess. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• lem3ssie
    lem3ssie
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

Do you see conflicts item ?

• Mel Burstein
    Mel Burstein
    Community Member

Thank you @lem3ssie‌ for your response; but I don't undertand the question. Perhaps you can rephrase it.

• lem3ssie
    lem3ssie
    Community Member

Ok, I used to have passwords that don't match between devices or Mac. I had a hard time figuring out that i had a sync issue, meaning some modified passwords would some time be back in cache and sync again. So i had a conflict field appearing, with a "revocked" password.

What I did is delete Icloud, Dropbox backups, delete data from every idevice i have. Only my Mac ( cause it had the right passwords) had data left.
    After that i sync over WIFI, and put backup on.

• Mel Burstein
    Mel Burstein
    Community Member

Thank you. Now I understand and when I view the problem login o he problem device, there is a section identiftied as "conflicts", something I had not noticed before. I like your suggestion for getting everything back in sync.

• Hi guys,

@Mel Burstein,

Now I understand and when I view the problem login o he problem device, there is a section identiftied as "conflicts", something I had not noticed before.

That does suggest the issue was sync conflicts; basically Dropbox could not determine which item is the right one when both the local and remote timestamps are identical. That might have happened because all four devices were updated at the same time and somewhere along the line, some of the items didn't update with the right timestamp.

Have you been able to confirm that the right password is in fact in the Conflicts section?

I like your suggestion for getting everything back in sync.

Note that a complete reset wouldn't exactly get rid of the merged in Conflicts because it might have already been sync'ed to Dropbox. However, if I understand you correctly, if multiple devices aren't sync'ing, you might have a single source of 1Password data where all of the data is right without any issues. You should disable the sync option for that specific source and then reset the data from other devices to pull from the said source.

Can you confirm if you have a single device has the right database and I can help you plan how to get the rest of your devices back in sync.

• Mel Burstein
    Mel Burstein
    Community Member

Without even trying to find out which password was right, I just deleted the conflict sections. I figured I would just change the passwords later. Then someone posted in anther thread that there is a DropBox problem in OS X for Yosemite and suggested reloading that software. I tried it on my MacBook Pro and to my surprise it immediately began to sync. Now, I don't seem to have any problem. But, to answer your question, my MacBook Pro has the most current passwords. Thanks, @MikeT, for your help.

• Hi @Mel Burstein‌,

I tried it on my MacBook Pro and to my surprise it immediately began to sync.

Thanks for letting me know what fixed the problem. We'll keep an eye out on this and see if we can detect the problem in advance to alert users to reinstall Dropbox on Yosemite.

This discussion has been closed.