Odd date display in 1PasswordAnywhere

Options
hawkmoth
hawkmoth
Community Member

I accessed my Dropbox account to see if I could see any sign of the attachments that I can't see on my iPad. (I couldn't.)

While doing this, I inspected the entry for my passport and found that the dates in that record and others that contain dates don't actually provide the date.

Here is how the date for my passport issue date shows:

issued on 1181977200

That has no obvious relation that I can discern to the actual date . This same way of showing dates applies to birth dates, etc in my Drivers license and in two passport records I keep. The dates show properly on my iPhone and iPad.

This may always have been the case, for all I know. I've only just now observed it.

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Options

Some dates are stored as Epoch dates.

$ perl -e 'print scalar localtime 1181977200, "\n"'
    Sat Jun 16 00:00:00 2007

You can do conversions: http://www.epochconverter.com/#tools

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

@MrC‌ - Hmmm. Wonder why they do that. But I see now that the number isn't nonsense after all. Thanks.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Options

Epoch dates are a very UNIXy (and hence OS X) way to refer to date/time values in a simple format, without having to worry about string parsing/conversions, timezones, libraries that generate different string representations, etc.. They are reliable and commonly used, and its how UNIXy platforms deal with time internally. Since 1Password started out as Mac product, this was probably the most natural representation.

This discussion has been closed.