Touch ID Preference NOT saved. 1P continues to prompt for textual password.

Options
The Doctor
The Doctor
Community Member

** Note -- This is a duplicate from another thread that focused on a dropbox sync issue as well -- copying it here because I do not thing they are related.

Hiya Megan...long time no post...which means all was dandy...until...TODAY (dum dum dimmmmm)

Here is some detailed testing that hopefully will help you guys with the Touch ID preference being wonky.

I have followed all of Roustem's suggestions to no avail...I have also tried the following.

Resetting the security preferences and then Force Quitting from that page -- Next Login Touch ID DOES Prompt
Resetting the security preference and then hitting home button and waiting 0 mins -- No Touch ID prompt
Resetting the security preference and then hitting home button and waiting idle timeout mins -- No Touch ID prompt
Resetting the security preference and NOT hitting home button and waiting idle timeout mins -- Touch ID DOES prompt
NOT Resetting the security preference and NOT hitting home button and waiting idle timeout mins -- Touch ID DOES prompt
So, my lay conclusion, is that Touch ID ONLY WORKS if the idle timer is triggered or a force quit occurs before a manual lock or home button press as in if the App is foreground. Once it goes to sleep...the only way to get Touch ID to work again is by following Scenarios 1, 4, or 5 above.

This obviously sucks...since Scenarios 1,4, and 5 never really occur in real life

Hope this helps...pls let me know...

pax, Doctor...just The Doctor...

p.s. I'm Scottish now, so tend to have a shorter fuse...so fair warning.

Comments

• The Doctor
    The Doctor
    Community Member
    Options

The previous post has been deleted by the admin (thanks megan) as it it better served here. That said, any ideas?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello Doctor,

I didn't actually delete your post, but moved it to a thread discussing TouchID in more detail - TouchID timeouts and extension position. My post #11 there has some useful information about how to set up TouchID so it works for you.

It sounds to me like you might not have the 'Use iOS keychain' option enabled as suggested in my post there. However, if you do, then there might be something else going on here, and of course we'll investigate further.

Thanks so much for the detailed report! :)

• The Doctor
    The Doctor
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I did not have the iOS keychain turned on...but have now turned it on and it made no difference :-(

Please let me know what we can try next...

• polarmutex
    polarmutex
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue, iOS keychain on. Just upgraded iPhone not sure that will help solve this

• dbabq
    dbabq
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem for both me and my wife on our new iPhone 6s. When you download the app, configure it for touch, and then open it for the first time, touch login works. But then it stops working and you have to type in a password.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Another one here, iPhone 6 Plus.

• Rob Maigret
    Rob Maigret
    Community Member
    Options

Same exact thing.
    I'm sensing a bug.

• dbabq
    dbabq
    Community Member
    Options

I just fixed it. Had to go into iCloud settings and enable Keychain. Works perfectly now!

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

I just fixed it. Had to go into iCloud settings and enable Keychain. Works perfectly now!

Unfortunately my keychain is already enabled and working.

• dbabq
    dbabq
    Community Member
    Options

Do you have Keychain enabled in both 1Password and iCloud? I had it enabled in 1Password only. Once I enabled it in iCloud, it started working perfectly.

• andrewscott
    andrewscott
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

I'm experiencing similar problems: Touch ID works for a while after activating the feature but returning to 1Password after a while and it seems to forget. Sometimes the Touch ID setting is forgotten, sometimes retained but not functioning. The app also forgets the settings in the Display settings too.

I'm using an iPhone 6, iCloud is on in Settings. I'm syncing with DropBox since I'm not running Yosemite--does that affect Touch ID?

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Do you have Keychain enabled in both 1Password and iCloud?

Yes I do. As others have said, it worked initially but stopped.

• polarmutex
    polarmutex
    Community Member
    Options

Well I somehow did not have iCloud keychain turned on and it works

• Same here in a 6 Plus. I have iCloud keychain on and no matter what I do, it won't ask for TouchID, except in one case where it sometimes, maybe 50% of the time, works - when in 1P, hit home button, go back to 1P, it'll ask sometimes. Otherwise, doesn't work for me at all.

• gmpalter
    gmpalter
    Community Member
    Options

As I stated in another thread that appears dormant, I'm having the same problem. I migrated 1P from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6. I have "Use iOS Keychain" enabled, the Master Password timeout set to 30 days, and Touch ID enabled. 1P never requests my fingerprint; it always asks for my Master Password.

For now, I have deleted my fingerprints so that I can go back to using 1P's Quick Unlock code (i.e., PIN). It works as expected.

• John Dyer
    John Dyer
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue w/ 1P and iPhone6. Here is my config:

• master lock set to 30 days ( althought I think I should be able to disable it entirly ).
    • touchID enabled
    • request fingerprint after 2 minutes.
    • lock on Exit set to true.
    • IOS Keychain is also enabled.

Most of the time it works but every once in a while I have to re-enter the master password, which is a major PITA since it is a 65 character random string.

• hellbus
    hellbus
    Community Member
    Options

I want to throw my hat in the "Me too" ring here. More often than not, 1Password will prompt me for the textual password, and not even give me the option for TouchID. My settings are the same as John Dyer's.

• chrisrosa
    chrisrosa
    Community Member
    Options

same for me. works for about 5 minutes, but then starts prompting for a password again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi everyone,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble with TouchID. We're currently working on tracking this issue down so, I'd love to get a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem and exactly where you're seeing this issue so that we can hopefully re-create and then squash this bug:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • What are you using to keep things in sync?
    • Is 'Use iOS keychain' enabled in Settings > Security?
    • Are you seeing the behaviour in the main app, the app extension, or both?
    • What, exactly, are your settings in Settings > Security?

Your assistance here is much appreciated. :)

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

A very strange thing just happened while going various places to collect above info. I opened the main 1P app and and it asked for the password as usual. This time I did not enter the password but just left the app like that. After a short while (1 minute?) the Fingerprint option window popped up for the very first time for me and worked, and still seems to be working. No settings were changed while gathering the info.

Seems like the problem might be one of timing.

My info:

On the MacBook Pro: 1Password 4.5 beta 23, Yosemite DP7

On iPhone 6+: 1Password 5.0.1

Dropbox syncing

"Use iOS Keychain" is checked, but it is in Settings/Advanced, not Settings/Security.

Main and Mini (on iDevice Mini means when you use the1P icon in Safari via the share icon?)

Settings/Security: Lock after 10 mins, Touch ID on, Request Fingerprint after 2 mins, Lock on exit.

EDIT: Finger ID stopped working about 10 mins after the above, and I was not able to reproduce the finding about just waiting for it, however it did start working again after a while, very variable.

• nobdyhere
    nobdyhere
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue with Touch ID working the one time after activating it in settings. Now does not work at all.

My info:

iPhone 5s: iOS8, App version: 5.0.1
    Mac: OSX 10.9.5, App version: 4.4.1
    DropBox Syncing,
    Use iOS Keychain is ON

• thedrkmstr
    thedrkmstr
    Community Member
    Options

I experience the issue randomly...

What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?

Mac os - 1Password 4.4.1, iPhone 6 - 5.0.1

What are you using to keep things in sync?

iCloud

Is 'Use iOS keychain' enabled in Settings > Security?

Yes, in mine it is setteigs>Advanced

Are you seeing the behaviour in the main app, the app extension, or both?

Main app, have not tried extension

What, exactly, are your settings in Settings > Security?

Lock after 10 mins, Touch ID on, Request Fingerprint after 2 mins, Lock on exit.

• srdoherty
    srdoherty
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here - TouchID works a few times after setting up, then stops working.

Version: 1Password for iOS, version 5.0.1
    Hardware: iPhone 6
    Sync service: Sync with iCloud
    Keychain settings: Use iOS Keychain enabled in both 1Password app and iCloud settings

Behavior occurs in main app, haven't tried extensions

1Password Security settings:
    Request After - 10 minutes
    TouchID: On
    Request Fingerprint After - 1 minute
    Lock on Exit: On
    Clear Clipboard - Never

Oddly, the Request Fingerprint After 1 minute seems to work, it just doesn't prompt for a fingerprint on opening the app.

• jeffchan78
    jeffchan78
    Community Member
    Options

is storing the masterpassword in the iOS keychain safe? I am hesitant to store my master password anywhere, what are the risks in this? thanks.

• The Doctor
    The Doctor
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    1P for OSX
    Version 4.4.1 (441006)
    Mac App Store

1P for iOS
    Version 5.0.1

What are you using to keep things in sync?
    Dropbox

Is 'Use iOS keychain' enabled in Settings > Security?
    Yes

Are you seeing the behaviour in the main app, the app extension, or both?
    Both

What, exactly, are your settings in Settings > Security?
    Request After: 30 Days
    Touch ID: On
    Request Fingerprint after: 2 Mins
    Lock on Exit: On

Clear Clipboard: 90 Secs

Hope that helps...please let us know what you find out

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

This thread on same subject

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/28608/how-do-the-master-password-and-touchid-settings-work-see-faq-post-15

seems to explain and answer this topic. Thanks especially to Steve28 post #12 there

This discussion has been closed.