Unlocking Secondary Vault with Master Password ( Lost Secondary Vaults Password)

Options
fotisp
fotisp
Community Member

Hello All,

I have lost the password for one of my secondary vaults. I followed the instructions to update the information of a secondary vault. One of the steps was to remove the secondary vault and import the .agilekeychain for the secondary vault.

It now asks me for the secondary vaults password, which I don't have at the moment, before importing.

Is there any way to unlock the secondary vault password with the master one?

Best,
Fotis

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

I'd say you probably want to revert to a backup where the secondary vault was still connected to your main. Then create a new secondary vault and move all of the items in the secondary vault you've forgotten the password to over to the new vault. Then do what I did, I created a password entry for the secondary vault's password in the main vault as like yourself I never use it so forget mine too. I've never had to use 1Password's backup feature myself but I'm hoping the backup will have your vaults linked.

To answer your final question though, there won't be a way to unlock a separated secondary vault with your main password, the only reason your master password works when the vaults are linked is 1Password stores an invisible entry in your vault for the secondaries and unlocks them automatically as a user friendliness thing.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

@littlebobbytables‌

I created a password entry for the secondary vault's password in the main vault

Same setup for me, all secondary + vaults are logged inside of my main vault, which I hopefully never forget. Especially useful for those ones I admin for my kids and select relatives. I never remember those.

@fotisp‌

I am going to ping an admin as this could get a little complicated here in the forum. I would email support @ agilebits.com including a link to this topic. They can email you back and forth ensuring a more personal experience without constant posting back and forth here in the forum.

They will also be able to advise you if its necessary to restore 1Password to a time when both vaults were still intact in the internal database. This may or may not be an option depending on your setup. Its best to ask them directly.

Please notate the thread so the staff do in fact know if you submitted an email.

@Megan‌ et al

Be on the look out. ;)

• fotisp
    fotisp
    Community Member
    Options

@thightower‌ Thank you very much for your backup suggestion. That along with the export and import functionality allowed me to restore the secondary valuts!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fotisp‌

I'm so glad to hear that @thightower‌ and @littlebobbytables‌' suggestions got you back on track! You might also want to follow @thightower's recommendation to save your secondary vault passwords as an item in your primary vault. I've done this as well, and it gives me a bit of peace of mind to know that I have those passwords saved if ever I need them.

If you have any further questions or concerns, we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.