b25 Sync Ever Finish?

huffalumpy
huffalumpy
Community Member

I hit "Sync Now".
The label changes to "Syncing..."
The Last Sync timer starts counting, as if I'm done.
Eventually 1P locks
I get back in
The label still says "Syncing..."
The Last Sync timer starts all over again

If I switch screens and come back, the "Syncing..." label is back to "Start Sync"

So, I have no idea if syncing ever completed, or if I interrupted it when I switched screens or when 1P locked, AND
the Last Sync timer should only start counting when syncing is actually complete.

Comments

• Hi @huffalumpy‌,

Which sync is this, the Wi-Fi or Dropbox?

The Last Sync timer starts the moment the sync is done, so if it still says it is syncing, then we have a bug. Switching views does not interrupt the sync, in fact, we sync in the background while you're using 1Password.

If you unlock the app, we automatically start syncing your data, so it is normal to see that once you unlock 1Password. It sounds like the label is stuck at Syncing regardless of the lock or the sync.

If you can reproduce this with the latest beta, can you email us diagnostic report to support+forum@agilebits.com with a link to this thread.

Let me know when you've done that, so I can look for it. If you can share the ticket ID here, it'd help me quickly find it.

Thanks!

• huffalumpy
    huffalumpy
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

wifi.

JNX-93989-676

The other thing that just happened was that when I synced this time, in the "time since" field, it said "Never", even though I did this earlier, too.

Lastly, I think I may have uncovered an ios bug, perhaps.
    I go into sync, pick wifi. It says that no host is found.
    I check to see if both my networks are the same. They are.
    I go back in, same problem.
    So THEN I go into the non-beta 1P (4.5.3), and try it, but I have the same problem - the host can't be found.
    Reboot device
    Try again - no problems.

The reason why I think this might be an ios8 problem is that then when I switch to an ios7 device, sync goes off like nothing.

Maybe this has something to do with switching networks. I had the same problem at work, rebooted, fixed. I come home, same deal.

• Hi @huffalumpy‌,

Thanks for the email. Here's what I saw:

Thu Sep 18 00:24:49 2014| 406025 [Wi-Fi:0x178868080:<OPWiFiSyncer: 0x13452da80>] S main | Wi-Fi sync completed (16.23 sec)

The initial sync took about 20 seconds because there were conflicts and it was busy resolving them for you.

The next sync after that:

Thu Sep 18 00:24:49 2014| 406025 [WIFI:0x178874f40:<OPWiFiSyncer: 0x13452da80>] S main | Wi-Fi sync started
    Thu Sep 18 00:24:49 2014| 406025 [WIFI:0x178874f40:<OPWiFiSyncer: 0x13452da80>] S main | Wi-Fi sync in progress...
    Thu Sep 18 00:24:50 2014| 406025 [WIFI:0x170478200:<OPWiFiSyncer: 0x13452da80>] S handleBeginSyncResponse: | Analysis completed for <OPProfile-FD0BBA94A124495D99D3EA5A88694CD6-1 'default' 0x1701ca7d0> folders: 0↑ 0↓ 0↱
    Thu Sep 18 00:24:50 2014| 406025 [WIFI:0x170478200:<OPWiFiSyncer: 0x13452da80>] S handleBeginSyncResponse: | Analysis completed for <OPProfile-FD0BBA94A124495D99D3EA5A88694CD6-1 'default' 0x1701ca7d0> items: 0↑ 0↓ 0↱
    Thu Sep 18 00:24:50 2014| 406025 [WIFI:0x170478200:<OPWiFiSyncer: 0x13452da80>] S syncBack | Skipping attachment syncing because server doesn't support it. Try upgrading desktop app.
    Thu Sep 18 00:24:50 2014| 406025 [WIFI:0x170478200:<OPWiFiSyncer: 0x13452da80>] S recordSyncCompletionTime | WiFi sync session 9ADCDC38-0D51-4C49-919D-C778366DF3AC completed syncing with 7FDE90AA-5BFE-48E9-95FE-181DBB3A4D71.
    Thu Sep 18 00:24:50 2014| 406025 [Wi-Fi:0x178874f40:<OPWiFiSyncer: 0x13452da80>] S main | Wi-Fi sync completed (0.83 sec)

Only took less than a sec. It is currently not syncing your attachments because you're using the current desktop version of 1Password that doesn't support it yet.

I'm not quite sure why it is not changing the labels right, it is completing the sync right away and in your case, less than a sec.

The other thing that just happened was that when I synced this time, in the "time since" field, it said "Never", even though I did this earlier, too.

Hmm, that sounds like it is setting up the sync for the first time and based on your report, it does look like it.

Your copy of 1Password on your device, has it been updated since the original 1Password beta or have you done any resets since? I was wondering if you can reinstall the app and see if it works better as a fresh install.

• huffalumpy
    huffalumpy
    Community Member

b25 only came out a few days ago.

• Hi @huffalumpy,

What I'm asking is if you install beta 25 over previous betas or have you ever uninstall 1Password completely on the device and install beta 25 as a new user?

• huffalumpy
    huffalumpy
    Community Member

I uninstalled the previous betas because they expired and I wasn't running 8, yet. So b25 was a clean beta install, after I put the GM on.

• Hi @huffalumpy‌,

The question is why does 1Password on your device detect sync conflicts between its local data and your Mac data if it was just pulled from your Mac recently.

Has this gotten better over time or is it still showing the glitch?

• huffalumpy
    huffalumpy
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

No, because we still have this goofy issue that I think is an ios8 problem. Both the beta and 4.2.5 (or whatever the last stable release was) lose the ability to wifi sync with my mac (they don't see it). I don't have an exact recipe, but it seems that when I leave the current wifi zone (go home, for example, from work), no more sync, even though both the mac and the ios8 device can use the new network.

Even if I go from work to home and then back to work and try to sync at work again I have this thing happen.

The solution is to reboot the ios8 device. Then it can see the mac, but then we go through all this nonsense all over again.

I have never had this problem with ios7.

• Hi @huffalumpy‌,

What version of 1Password are you using on your Mac, both at work and home?

• huffalumpy
    huffalumpy
    Community Member

Same computer gets carried everywhere. 4.4.2 b4

• huffalumpy
    huffalumpy
    Community Member

FYI, my brother is having EXACTLY the same problem with non-beta 1P on phone and mac as far as 1P on ios not seeing 1P on Mac when he tries to wifi sync. He's got a 6 running ios8.

• Hi @huffalumpy,

I'd like you to do two things next time you reproduce this:

1. There's a button in Settings > Sync > Wi-Fi sync in the 1Password for iOS app that will recheck the network for 1Password, can you tap on it and wait a minute, see if 1Password shows up.
    2. If not, generate a fresh diagnostic report from both the iOS and Mac apps at the same time, so we can get all of the information at once. For the Mac report, please try to attach it in a reply to the previous ticket. For the iOS report, email it to support+forums@agilebits.com with this ticket ID included in the beginning of the subject line: [#JNX-93989-676].

Please let me know as soon as you've sent the email. In addition, can you ask your brother to email us at support+forum@agilebits.com with my name in the subject, so that I can follow up with him on this as well. If we can compare his report with your report, we should be able to find a pattern.

Thanks!

• huffalumpy
    huffalumpy
    Community Member

Cool, it just happened to me right now. What button is going to recheck? I've got a Primary Vault section with "Sync Service Wifi >", "Sync Now" (which gives the error), and then down below a Last Sync and Items. If I do "Sync Service Wifi >", and I hit "Change Wi-Fi", it asks me if I want to disable Sync. Then I get the old-style Wi-Fi Sync dialog, and after a while the desktop unit comes up.

Are we going to have to do this every time we want to sync?

• huffalumpy
    huffalumpy
    Community Member

Also, Mikey, what do you want my brother, who isn't running the beta, to try? He's tried hitting "Refresh list". So I should have him generate diagnostics, then?

• Hi @huffalumpy‌,

I've got a Primary Vault section with "Sync Service Wi-Fi >", "Sync Now" (which gives the error), and then down below a Last Sync and Items.

Sorry, I got mixed up here. That button only shows up if you're enabling or changing the Wi-Fi sync, not while the Wi-Fi sync is already configured.

Please send me the diagnostic reports when it happens, so we can see why it is not finding 1Password on the network.

He's tried hitting "Refresh list".

If that didn't work, yes, send the reports.

• Radoc
    Radoc
    Community Member

I'm seeing the same behavior as huffalumpy using the latest Mac and iOS betas (or at least I was until iOS 8.0.2 came out, which seems to have disabled Wi-Fi syncing for me). I would start a sync and after a second or two the counter showing time since last sync would start incrementing, even though the screen still said that a sync was in progress.

• MikeT
    edited September 2014

Hi @Radac,

What about the data afterward, did it sync everything properly or were there any errors?

Can you also send us the diagnostic reports from both Mac/iOS apps after you see this issue. Please email them to support+forum@agilebits.com with a link to this thread, so we can connect the dots.

Thanks!

• Radoc
    Radoc
    Community Member

@MikeT: The sync otherwise worked perfectly. Since having sync issues with beta versions months ago I got into the habit of carefully checking item counts post sync, and they matched. I'll do a sync later today and send you the diagnostics.

• At least that's working properly, it sounds like just the label itself isn't working right. I can't reproduce it but I'll keep trying to break it.

Let me know when you've sent the report and if you got a ticket ID at the end, please share that as well, so I can find it quickly in our system.

Thanks!

• Radoc
    Radoc
    Community Member

@MikeT: When I posted earlier today I forgot that syncing wasn't working for me at all, so I can't test the problem that huffalumpy reported for the time being. But I did find another, cosmetic bug on the Sync screen in the iOS app: the piece that shows the count of items (below Last Sync) moves up and down a pixel or two at a rate of about 1/sec. Not a big deal, but thought I'd mention it.

• MikeT
    edited September 2014

Hi @Radoc,

Are you using a larger system font with iOS 8's Dynamic Text feature? If yes, that's the cause behind the text field jumping up and down. It's a known issue we'll fix in a future beta update.

I believe I've asked you to email us the reports in other threads, so I'll follow up with you in there as soon as possible.

• Radoc
    Radoc
    Community Member

@MikeT: Yes, I am using a larger font, so that's it. Thanks.

• Thanks for letting me know. We have plans to optimize 1Password for Dynamic Text in a future update, so that issue will be resolved along with that.

This discussion has been closed.