Wife and I would like separate primary vaults with a shared secondary via Drop Box. Possible?

Options
Randall Cameron
Randall Cameron
Community Member

Hi folks,
I found 1Password after being a part of the recent gmail address leak. Our ideal setup is pretty much as I described above. We would each like our own vault to cut down on duplication (we each have logins for many of the same websites) but would also like a vault that we are sharing for stuff in common.

Relatedly, I would love for my work machine to have its own primary vault for work stuff while still being able to easily access my personal info when needed.

How would I set this up?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Does this knowledge base article on sharing a vault help?

Stephen

• Randall Cameron
    Randall Cameron
    Community Member
    Options

No, not exactly. I understand how to set up a secondary vault, and the experience is great on the computer I create the vault on. But on my wife's machine, I would like the secondary vault to show up as a secondary vault on her machine as well, such that she can also switch between her primary and our shared secondary seamlessly as I can on my machine.

I don't think the knowledge base article describes this.

Randall

• Randall Cameron
    Randall Cameron
    Community Member
    Options

I might have spoken too soon. I think what I might have done is tried to access the secondary vault before setting up a primary on my wife's system. I think this has led to somewhat strange behaviour where 1Password is treating the shared secondary as her Primary. Does that make any sense?

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member
    Options

Randall,

That link posted by Stephen shows you step by step how to stare a vault... once you complete it, your wife should now have two vaults on her computer, her primary and the one you shared with her via the steps in that article.

-Steve

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

@Randall Cameron‌ You're correct, your wife should set up per primary vault first and then go through the steps to import the shared vault. Assuming she hasn't added anything yet she could wipe the vaults and start afresh. It sounds like you're pretty much there with the understanding how it works.

As for your work machine. You've successfully shared your secondary vault already so you understand the steps for doing so. Do the same with your primary vault on your personal PC. Then just like your wife is doing, set up a new primary on your work PC but when adding a secondary vault, select the primary keychain instead of the secondary one. If memory serves me correctly in a previous thread I was told this would work and will result in your personal primary vault appearing as a secondary vault on your work PC. As long as 1Password talks about adding a secondary vault you know it's working.

• MikeT
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @Randell Cameron,

I might have spoken too soon. I think what I might have done is tried to access the secondary vault before setting up a primary on my wife's system. I think this has led to somewhat strange behaviour where 1Password is treating the shared secondary as her Primary. Does that make any sense?

Yes, that makes sense as that's how it works. If you open a file with 1Password first without setting up any vault first in advance, that file will be treated as the primary vault and any other file you open afterward would be secondary.

To switch it around, you need to reset the database in 1Password and have your wife set up a new vault manually first. Here's how to set this up:

1. First, back up just in case. Open 1Password on your wife's computer, go to the File Menu > Backup.
    2. Now, reset the 1Password data with this guide
    3. Open 1Password and it'll do the whole Welcome to 1Password tour, choose I'm new to 1Password and set up the vault.
    4. After this, she can open the vault you're sharing with her and it'll be imported as a secondary vault.

I hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.