Urgent help needed - *.1ptbacktup to *agilekeychain backup file

liorgr
liorgr
Community Member

Hi,

My dad used to have iOS 5 running on is iPhone 4, and 1Password pro installed on it.

After having lot's of issues, we had to restore is iPhone and update it's firmware to iOS 7. After doing so, I couldn't find 1Password pro on the App Store any more, and Went on and purchased 1Password 4... The problem is that now I'm stuck with 1ptbackup file, I have no way of restoring to the new version.

I don't mind doing it manually, but I must find a way to restore/open the 1ptbackup file he has. it is very very important, my dad is stuck with no passwords to all his services. please help us, we purchased both 1Password pro before, and now 1Password 4, and it's useless for us!

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @liorgr,

Sounds like your dad has had his fair share of problems with his iPhone! Fortunately I think the 1Password issue should be fairly easy to solve.

1Password 3 (i.e. 1Password Pro) was removed for sale from the App Store last year when we released 1Password 4 for iOS, so if you're using the Search tab in the App Store, you won't find it there. Instead, go to the Updates tab, tap Purchased, and use the Search field there to find 1Password Pro. As long as your dad is signed in the App Store with the same Apple ID he used when he originally bought 1Password Pro, it should be listed there. Go ahead and install it.

Once it's installed, open 1Password Pro and go through the brief setup. Then go to Settings > Database > Backup & Restore, and follow the steps to restore the data from the 1ptbackup file.

Assuming everything goes well up to this point and your dad has his data back in 1Password Pro, he'll probably want to get that data into 1Password 4. First he'll need to delete 1Password 4 from the iPhone - this will delete any current data in 1Password 4, so if it has any new data that isn't in the 1ptbackup file, he'll need to make a backup, or sync with Dropbox, etc, so the data is saved somewhere other than just the iPhone. Once you're sure he won't lose anything by deleting 1Password 4 from the iPhone, continue with these steps:

• Delete 1Password 4 from the iPhone
    • Restart the iPhone
    • Reinstall 1Password 4 from the App Store
    • Then open 1Password 4
    • It'll ask if you've used 1Password before (click this option)
    • Choose "Import from previous version"
    • Follow the onscreen prompts

Your dad should now have his data in 1Password 4 on his iPhone. Once you're sure everything is ok with 1Password 4, you can remove 1Password Pro from the iPhone if you want.

I hope this helps but let us know if you have any questions! :)

• liorgr
    liorgr
    Community Member

Thank you very much for the answer. Also Support team answered my question very quickly.

It worked like magic, thank you!!!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@liorgr, I'm happy to hear that worked out! Let us know if you ever need more help with 1Password.

• bclaytonbell
    bclaytonbell
    Community Member

Hello, I'm trying to do the same set of steps above to migrate my data from iOS vs 3.7.2 to the new iOS vs. 4.3.2 and then sync this data with the new OS X vs 4. The only location that has the most recent data is the 3.7.2 app on my phone and I can't figure out how to get this data into the OS X app or the new iOS app. I've tried the following:

1. Do a "Backup and Restore" from iOS 3 and save the file to my iMac. I got the file saved, but I could not import this file (.1ptbackup format) into the OS X vs 4.
    2. Sync with Wi-Fi from iOS 3 to OS X 4. I've read on multiple forums that this is not possible as Wi-Fi syncing with OS X 4 only works with iOS 4.
    3. Sync with Dropbox from iOS 3. I've read on multiple forums that this is also not possible and dropbox syncing only works with iOS vs 4.
    4. Download the new iOS 4 app and migrate data. When I started the app, it asked if I was an existing user and took me to the migrate steps (The 5th and 6th step in your above instructions). When it took me back into the iOS 3 app to start migrating, there was a value in the search field that was auto-populated, but there were no results displayed that would allow me to migrate.

Now, I erased the data in iOS 4 app, deleted the app, restarted the phone, redownloaded the app, but when I opened the app, it still recognized that I had a master password and skipped the step where it asked me to migrate data. I believe this is being caused because I did turn on iCloud syncing in the iOS 4 app and now it's stored in the "cloud" and recognizes I shouldn't be able to import data. I've tried turning this feature off, but it still won't let me migrate data.

Can you please help me migrate this data from my iOS 3 app to either the iOS 4 app or into OS X 4 so I can sync it with my iPhone?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bclaytonbell,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty getting your data into the new 1Password app. I'd love to help get things sorted out.

Let's completely reinstall 1Password 4 for iOS and try this again:

• Tap & hold on the 1Password icon on the home screen. It will begin to move slightly, and an x will appear on the corner.
    • Tap the x on 1Password, and confirm the deletion.
    • Press the Home button to stop the other apps on your screen from moving.
    • Delete the Data on iCloud (if it exists): http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html

(Please note that deleting the 1Password data in Documents and Data is removing only the sync data from the device, and has no effect on the 1Password data stored in iCloud.)

• Restart your iOS device
    • Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.

• When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, select "I've Used 1Password Before" and migrate from previous version.

If the import fails again, I'd like you to try opening 1Password 3 for iOS. 1Password 3 for iOS should notice that you have a newer version installed and offer to migrate your data for you! Please let me know how this works :)

• elynsoul
    elynsoul
    Community Member

Hi Agilebits,

I have been using the 1Password app on my iPhone 4S for 1-2 years but have never updated the app in AppStore. Since the day I started using 1Password the logo has always been a black key diagonally placed across a blue donut-shaped background with chrome outline.

Yesterday I decided to update my iPhone firmware to iOS 7. Before I did that I did a backup of the contents in my 1Password app, followed the on-screen instructions and downloaded a file 1Password0100-20131228.1ptbackup to my iMac. I then proceeded with the updating of my phone.

After updating to iOS 7, the 1Password app disappeared so I downloaded it again from AppStore. This time the app had a different logo - no more key but just a keyhole.

I tapped on the icon and was immediately given 2 options: "I'm a new 1Password user" or "I've used 1Password before". Regardless which one I chose, I was unable to find the familiar Settings > Database > Backup & Restore. The backup file that I downloaded is all that I have as I have never synced my 1Password data with iCloud or Dropbox before. I also do not own 1Password 4 for Mac.

What should I do? How do I restore my data from 1Password0100-20131228.1ptbackup?

Hope to hear from you soon as I need to retrieve my data desperately!

Thank you.

Elyn

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Elyn ( @elynsoul ),

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble migrating to the new version. Unfortunately, the backup that you made of 1Password 3 is only restorable to 1Password 3. The good news is though, that you should be able to access 1Password 3 in your App Store purchase history. We'll restore the data to 1Password 3, then migrate it into 1Password 4.

• Go to the App Store > Updates > Purchases and find 1Password 3 (the blue logo with the key you described first)
    • Follow the instructions here to restore your data into 1Password 3
    • Now see the instructions in my post #6 above to reinstall 1Password 4 for iOS. :)

Please let me know how this works - I do apologize for the inconvenience!

• elynsoul
    elynsoul
    Community Member

Hi Megan,

Happy new year.

Thank you for such a quick reply, but I am unable to get past the first step that you mentioned.

I only have the iPhone version of 1Password, not the Mac or PC version. I went to my iPhone's App Store > Updates > Purchases but I could not find 1Password 3 or any other versions of 1Password.

I did a search in both iPhone and Mac App Stores and did not find anything with the old 1Password logo.

May I know what's wrong?

Thanks again.

Elyn

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Elyn ( @elynsoul ),

Happy New Year to you as well!

Do you by any chance have multiple AppleIDs? Please make sure that you are signed in to the App Store with the AppleID that you originally made the purchase with and you should be able to find the app. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed, just in case!)

• elynsoul
    elynsoul
    Community Member

Hi Megan,

I deleted the 1Password 4 app, synced the old version (iPassword 3) to my iPhone, downloaded the 1Password 4 app again and just like you mentioned, iPassword 3 noticed that I have the new version installed and offered to migrate the data over. So I tapped on "Migrate to 1Password 4", but nothing happens after that.

I then opened 1Password 4 and tapped on "I've used 1Password before". This time a new option appeared - "Import from old version". Unfortunately, nothing happens after that too.

Are there any other methods I can try?

Elyn

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Elyn ( @elynsoul ),

I am so sorry that this is still giving you trouble! I'm glad to hear that we're getting closer though. I'm not quite sure why this import process has decided to be difficult for you, but we can still get this done. Since you have a Mac, we might have to do a bit of a roundabout procedure here: we'll download a trial version of 1Password 3, use Wi-Fi sync to get your data onto your Mac, then sync to Dropbox and you should be all set!

Here are all the instructions that you need (with pictures!):

Once Dropbox is finished syncing (you'll see a green checkmark next to the blue box icon in your menubar), open up 1Password 4, select "I've used 1Password before, and sync via Dropbox.

Let me know how this works (my fingers are still crossed for you!)

• elynsoul
    elynsoul
    Community Member

It worked! The new interface of 1Password 4 will probably take me some time to get used to but the design looks really sleek. Thank you Megan for your patience and excellent support! No regrets buying the app!

Have a great day and hope the weather where you are at gets better soon!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Elyn ( @elynsoul ),

I'm so glad to hear that everything is working for you (finally)! Thanks so much for your patience - and yes, I hope things warm up here just a bit soon.

If you have any questions about the shiny new interface of 1Password 4, we're here for you :)

• Dimi
    Dimi
    Community Member

Hi,
    I was using 1password pro ios and I've saved a backup (.1ptbackup) but it was purchased from a different apple account. I now have no access to that apple account so the solutions described above cannot apply to the situation since the app is not on my purchased apps list.
    Purchasing version 4 will do me no good, since I won't be able to import my backup?
    I currently have no password at all so I hope you get back to me with a solution asap!

Thanks, Dimi

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dimi,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble here. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of options for you. The .1ptbackup is specific to 1Password 3 for iOS. In 1Password 4 we've improved upon our backup feature and made it compatible with 1Password 4 for Mac to ensure that issues like this don't happen. But to get access to your 1Password data from the .1ptbackup, you do need 1Password 3 for iOS.

Now 1Password 3 for iOS is no longer available in the App Store. We removed it when we released 1Password 4 for iOS to avoid confusing our customers. This means that the only way you can get 1Password 3 for iOS now is from your purchase history in the AppleID that you originally made the purchase. You should be able to sign in to the App Store with your previous AppleID and access your purchase history through the App Store > Updates > Purchases.

I hope this helps. If you have no access to your previous AppleID, is there any chance you know someone who might have 1Password 3 for iOS?

• Paulitaz
    Paulitaz
    Community Member

Hi Megan,
    I see you've helped quite a few people so I'll give it a shot.

I have an iPad retina that currently has 1Password4 installed. I'm trying to migrate data from 1Password 3 (.1ptbackup) which is on my old iPod Touch (iOS 6.1.6 which is the highest this model will accept. I've backed the data up on iCloud as well as Dropbox but, because the file extension is not compatible, I'm unable to migrate the data. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    ~paulazar

• Jasper
    edited September 2014

Hi @Paulitaz,

Do you own 1Password 3 for iPad, or do you only have the iPhone/iPod version? You can check under App Store > Updates > Purchases on your iPad.

• @JasperP assuming Paulitaz doesn't have access to the iPad version of 1Password 3, would I be right in thinking that all they would need is a friend with a newer iPhone or iPod that they could borrow for an afternoon?

1. Have the friend backup their device and wipe.
    2. Set up device as new device under Paulitaz's account
    3. Download 1Password 3 and import the .1ptbackup
    4. Download 1Password 4 and allow it to import the data from 1Password 3
    5. Sync 1Password 4 to Dropbox or iCloud
    6. Sync 1Password 4 on the iPad.
    7. Wipe the borrowed device and allow the friend to restore from the backup

The only thing I'm not sure about is is there a point in iOS versions where this may no longer work? I've never had a setup where I've had to worry about version incompatibility.

• Hi @littlebobbytables‌,

That'd work as well. I'd recommend that in step 5/6, he should also create a backup using 1Password 4 to store on his computer.

He should be able to install 1Password 3 for iPhone on the iPad assuming he owns it. With that, he might be able to restore from the backup and then migrate it to 1Password 4.

This discussion has been closed.