New iPhone. How to get all the passwords on it?

Options
Julian89
Julian89
Community Member

I am planning a clean install of iOS8 on my iphone. How do i get all the passwords on it?

I also have 1password for mac on my macbook pro and it is synced with my iphone.
I am scared to loose my passwords in the process.

Please explain. Software is all new. THX

Comments

• Julian89
    Julian89
    Community Member
    Options

And do i have to pay again when i install 1password on the "new" iphone?
    How can i avoid having to pay again?
    And how do i make sure that the passwords are synced from my mac to the "new" iphone, not deleted?

• Julian89
    Julian89
    Community Member
    Options

Can i do a simple wlan-sync?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

As nobody else has yet responded I'll try to help.

1. You should be able to get your passwords on to new phone by using wifi sync so long as both the phone and Mac are on the same wifi network.
    2. You should not have to purchase another copy of 1P4 for iOS so long as you use the same Apple ID you used to buy 1P4 for iOS in the first place. You should be able to re-download the app without charge.

I hope this helps. The only wrinkle I can think of at present is that you may already be using some other sync method (Dropbox or iCloud) so you may need to disable that first before you use wifi sync.

Stephen

• MikeT
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @Julian89,

I am planning a clean install of iOS8 on my iphone. How do i get all the passwords on it?

If everything is sync'ed to your Mac, you can just sync the data back from 1Password on your Mac. We have guides available for the sync process here: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/syncing

I also have 1password for mac on my macbook pro and it is synced with my iphone. I am scared to loose my passwords in the process.

Back up your 1Password data using your Mac app, open 1Password on your Macbook Pro and go to the File Menu > Backup..

And do i have to pay again when i install 1password on the "new" iphone? How can i avoid having to pay again?

No, 1Password 5 for iOS 8 is a free update for all 1Password 4 customers. There is an issue with restoring purchases in 1Password 5 if you're using iTunes to sync your apps.

Instead, only install 1Password 5 directly from the App Store app on your iPhone, don't use your computer or iTunes to do this. Once you do that, 1Password 5 will automatically unlock the Pro purchase based on your previous purchase of 1Password 4.

Make sure you're signed in with the same AppleID you used to buy 1Password 4 with.

Can i do a simple wlan-sync?

If you have attachments, I would not do this because Wi-Fi sync does not yet support attachments. If you don't have attachments, then yes, you're all good to go with a simple Wi-Fi sync.

I hope this helps, please let us know if you need any assistance.

This discussion has been closed.