Dropbox Sync not working

Options
John Ruzicka
John Ruzicka
Community Member

I added a bunch of passwords on my iMac at home and set it up to Sync via DRopbox. After the initial sync my Macbook Air has never synced correctly with 1Password again. Dropbox says it is up to date but the passwords are missing and the data in the 1Password file is stale.

I'm using the most current version of OS/X production (not beta) and have updated 1Password as well.

How do I get my passwords to start syncing across my devices?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Could you post screenshots showing your sync preferences in 1Password on each Mac? Here is my own as an example of what I'm looking for from each of your Macs:

• josbigorange
    josbigorange
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having exact the same problem. Syncing is on on both Macs I'm using (both on Mavericks) en sync pref's are the same on both Macs. It seems there are missing a bunch of passwords. It is strange, cause when I try it now, syncing goed well. It seems that some earlier created password (for example a dozen I created in August) don't sync. The number of items is different on the two Macs, which of course shouldn't happen.
    I have the latest version of 1Password.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @josbigorange,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble keeping things synced up lately. Let's run this test to see if if helps find where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test item on each Mac (Test on Mac1, Test on Mac2) and add some data
    • Does the Test on Mac1 item show up on Mac2?
    • Does the Test on Mac2 item show up on Mac1?
    • Log in to the Dropbox website and click on the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain folder
    • Enter your Master Password
    • Do any of your test items show up in your database there?

Please let us know the results of this little experiment. Once we have a better idea of where things are going sideways, we should be able to get this straightened out for you. :)

Thanks!

• John Ruzicka
    John Ruzicka
    Community Member
    Options

The Sync screen says:

Syncing with Dropbox
    [my name] -> Dropbox -> 1Password -> 1 Password.agilekeychain

Last synced 51 seconds ago

It's the "last synced ..." that has me confused because the data is NOT synced!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, John! Can you confirm that the path you listed is identical on both Macs? I just want to be clear on that since it could make all the difference. :)

Also, might you be logged in to two different Dropbox accounts on the Macs? Or do you only have a single Dropbox account?

The "last synced" can be a bit confusing. It's actually just saying that the last time 1Password wrote data to the Dropbox folder on your local machine was 51 seconds ago. Since 1Password doesn't actually sync your data — Dropbox does all the syncing — that's as far as it can go with telling you about the sync. That number presumes that Dropbox is working as expected (which is not the case for you at the moment).

Does the issue persist after quitting and relaunching Dropbox?

What about after restarting your Mac?

If that doesn't do the trick, I'd like you to try reinstalling Dropbox as we've seen that help in some cases recently.

After all of that, if things still aren't syncing, please let me know if other non-1Password files are syncing. If you add a document or image to your ~/Dropbox/1Password folder does it show up on your other Mac?

This discussion has been closed.