Preferences will not save.

Options
kyleputzier
kyleputzier
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Mac

Every time I start 1Password 4 (Mac), I am presented with the Welcome screen. I also have to acknowledge the Security, Rich Icons, and Mini preference dialogs. This leads me to believe that the preference file cannot be written to.
I have tried the fresh start procedure and reinstalled the app via the App Store without success. I noted that was not able to find the plist file in ~Library/Preferences. I did find the Containers folder and renamed/removed that.

How can I reset the prefs file?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

That's... odd.

As you're working with the App Store version everything to do with 1Password is in it's container folder, including your vault. That location is

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

I'd be tempted to suggest using OS X's Disk Utility too (Applications/Utilities) and to verify disk permissions, repairing if necessary.

• kyleputzier
    kyleputzier
    Community Member
    Options

The plist can be found inside the ~/Library/Containers/2BUA ... Preferences folder, but it is an alias with a broken link. It seems to be pointing right back to itself. I don't understand.

File: 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper.LSSharedFileList.plist (which is an alias)

Where: /Users/kyleputzier/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Preferences

Original: /Users/kyleputzier/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Preferences/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper.LSSharedFileList.plist

If I delete both the agilebits folders found in the containers folder, there are rebuilt with the same contents the next time 1Password is opened.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

So I have 27 items in the Preferences folder of both 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper & com.agilebits.onepassword-osx

Of those 27 items 26 are aliases and a bunch of them do point to themselves while a few don't. There is also one genuine plist in each folder

2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper.plist

&

com.agilebits.onepassword-osx.plist

You can guess which is in which. Of interest is the latter as that has a boolean key called CompletedEssentialSettings which sounds awfully like a check to see if you've run 1Password before. Do you have these files?

Wiping out both folders of course would start you with an entirely fresh copy of 1Password so you'd expect the welcome screen. If you go through that process and create a primary vault, at that point I'd expect it to stop asking you. Do that and then look to see if those two plist files are present and if they are check the com.agilebits.onepassword-osx.plist and see if that boolean is true or false (it's true for me).

• kyleputzier
    kyleputzier
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

I also have 27 items in both of the one password folders, all of which are alias's. I cannot find the genuine plist file(s) ("2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper.plist") anywhere using Spotlight or find via Terminal.

I Quit 1Password (including mini), deleted the folders and emptied the trash. I restarted 1Password and saw the welcome screen. 1Password then found my dropbox and offered to open it. I declined and created a new Vault and set some prefs. Quit 1Password and reopened it and again saw the welcome screen and then my new empty vault. The preferences changed were not saved.

I can't seem to figure this out. I'm stuck on it being a preferences issue. It must be something else that I'm overlooking.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

I'd try my suggestion of checking disk permissions, at the very worst it can't do any harm and what you're seeing doesn't tally with how 1Password behaves for me - very odd.

• kyleputzier
    kyleputzier
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I didn't mention it but that was one of the first things I tried.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Here's a link to another thread.

The gist is, delete 1Password completely from your mac, run the repair permissions and then re-downloaded 1Password from the App Store. That worked for the person experiencing your issue in the thread I linked you to, lets see if it helps you at all. It's worth a try.

• kyleputzier
    kyleputzier
    Community Member
    Options

Seemed like the issue in the link discussion was exactly what I man experiencing. I deleted all 1Password files I could find, repaired disk permissions and reinstalled via the App Store. I didn't help me like it helped the others.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Well I think I've run out of useless ideas I'm afraid. I think this one is going to need somebody from AgileBits and I suspect they'll be asking for a diagnostic report. Good luck!

When you say deleted all the 1Password files you could find you included the program itself? I'm pretty sure you did but just wanted to clarify so there was no mistake.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options
    1. What happens if you restart your Mac? If that doesn't do the trick…
    2. What happens when you run this command in Terminal (found in /Applications/Utilities)?

killall -SIGTERM cfprefsd

Mavericks aggressively cache its preferences. That will restart the daemon responsible for the preferences.

• kyleputzier
    kyleputzier
    Community Member
    Options

littlebobbytables,
    Thank you very much for your help.

khad,
    Mavericks caching explains why I couldn't find the plist file. Restarting has cleared it out. The prefs now stick.
    I didn't know prefs could be cached by the OS. It's always the simplest things.
    BTW, nice app. Feature rich, yet clean and easy to use.

Thank you both.
    Kyle

BTW#2, no one can know that I didn't think to restart the computer during my problem solving session. It's our secret.

Darn, now every one knows. Stupid me.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

BTW#2, no one can know that I didn't think to restart the computer during my problem solving session. It's our secret.

Haha! Your secrets are safe with 1Password and this one is safe with me. :D

BTW, nice app. Feature rich, yet clean and easy to use.

I'm just glad things are working well. Thank you for your very kind words! I will be sure to pass them along to the rest of the team here.

Now I'm going to be watching Big Fat Quiz of the Year for the next hour and a half. A curse be upon YouTube's recommended videos! LOL

This discussion has been closed.